Page 36 of 384 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I have nothing constructive to add but are you telling me that putting down that little amount is of concern(for wife) but doing a 600-800k "remodel" is no biggie? Anyways I'm just a carpenter who may or may not have stayed at a holiday inn.

Paging Foggy to the white courtesy phone.
    That’s my thought too...I’ve thought of telling my wife WTF did you expect to pay but I know that won’t go over well, at least right now.

Considering the job and we’re creating a home we won’t have to touch for the next 15 years, seams reasonable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    I have nothing constructive to add but are you telling me that putting down that little amount is of concern(for wife) but doing a 600-800k "remodel" is no biggie? Anyways I'm just a carpenter who may or may not have stayed at a holiday inn.

Paging Fogggy to the white courtesy phone.

Edit to add: you're not in Barrington or something are you?
    Ha, yes we are in Barrington actually!! And it’s not that it’s no biggie cash-wise but I want to do it a certain way.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

It sounds like you are considering a design/build process.

But, for reference on architect fees, take a read through this site
    www.architecturalfees.com
    Maybe it will offer some insight

We do a bunch of remodel here and when we look back at project data, we tend to fall in the range of 8-14% of construction cost (tho we don’t tie fees to const cost)

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

We do a bunch of remodel here and when we look back at project data, we tend to fall in the range of 8-14% of construction cost (tho we don’t tie fees to const cost)
    Thx for this...

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    What city ? Have you looked for a suitable house to purchase in your area that might check off quite few boxes from your wish list? Quite often you can buy something that another couple put all their time/effort/money and sometimes their marriage into for about 60-70% of what the budget will be. Major remodels never return more than 60-70% IF you're lucky. Making your wife happy is another story.
    ^^
    Should have bought my house in Wayne.
    You’ll never get a decent ROI on a remodel, with the way real estate taxes are going in Illinois.

Consider tearing the place down and starting fresh. Not kidding. In 2015, in a similar situation, with every intention of doing extensive remodeling, we ended up tearing the place down. It's not very expensive to tear shit down - in our case $21K took care of the entire process. Everything is easier in new construction, all the wiring is new, all the insulation is new, everything is where you want it, and on and on. And it might even be cheaper since they don't have to work around stuff and struggle to get shit to fit, etc.

As far as the quote they gave you, 7% isn't a particular bargain. Architects are generally looking for 8% so it's better than that. But the 8% is often negotiable. And design/build firms with architects generally provide those services cheaper in order to get the construction work. You're kind of in the middle of those two scenarios it seems. It might end up being a good deal when considered together, or not. No way to really tell from here.

Architect and builder fees are highly variable by location, and even from one professional to another. I’m working with 2 architects now in Boulder, CO - one more junior but does good work, fee is 3% of eventual construction (remodel) cost, other is higher-end, 10% of construction cost, which will translate to $55k. Neither do interiors, just construction/permit plans (Mrs ski-wpk is a designer). Builder fees are generally 8-15% of construction cost here, depending on the quality of builder. Our current go-to is 12% fee and is worth every penny.

My architect/engineer fee came in under 1% of construction costs. Overall happy w him and he was very hands on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Per Iceman's advice , bang out cost for new construction of what you want PLUS demo and see if that's a better way to go. The process might be easier, faster and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Thx for this...

Take that website with a grain of salt...it’s both naive and yet factually reasonable...not sure who wrote it, but they seem to be a little simplistic in the presentation.

As skiwpk said, fees vary
    (altho the 3% one sounds like slavery...)

I would spend time getting to know the designer‘s work and the construction quality and the level of service you get for the proposed cost.

Value is often ignored when looking at a proposal or a bid. People flip down to the last line first; and then flip back up thru the sections looking for big numbers.

For instance, you may have two bids for the same project that are not matching closely. They both cover scope, but what do you get for the indicated differential? It may be more (or less) than you might expect. That’s where your understanding of the various parties’ past work experience and level of service make a difference. Do they nickel/dime every item? Do they manage expectations? Do they have suggested solutions that favor supporting the proposed work? (Ie, in the spirit of helping the owner, not just lining pockets or making their own lives easier) Remodels can be chaotic processes. Some outfits manage them better than others.

Thx, all good info. We’ve visited multiple homes of the builder I referenced and feel pretty comfortable with his quality of work and straightforwardness

I thought I bought a house but it turned out that I bought a lot. Oh well. It's a nice lot, at least.

Just remember, when you get started, the most expensive words in the English language are "while you're at it".

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

I was going to say, 22k on a 6-800k remodel sounds pretty cheap, especially with some fun structural work adding a 3rd floor, but I work in the Jackson Hole market which isn't the land of normals. I just finished a 125k bathroom remodel that they paid an architect 10k to design. a. fucking. bathroom.

On reread I guess that 22k just makes up a portion of the fee, but 7% seems like a decent rate still.
    Live Free or Die

My neighbor is listing his house for sale and will be replacing his sewer line that I am tied into. Fuck me looking at $6-8 k bill for me to tie into City sewer. Gotta luv owning an old house !

Your sewage flows into his line and then the city sewer? You can't still do that somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    My neighbor is listing his house for sale and will be replacing his sewer line that I am tied into. Fuck me looking at $6-8 k bill for me to tie into City sewer. Gotta luv owning an old house !
    you gotta get the whole thing dug up?

https://pipegenie.com/

these are sposed to work well, I know a guy who used to sell them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you gotta get the whole thing dug up?

https://pipegenie.com/

these are sposed to work well, I know a guy who used to sell them
    I have talked to a few companies and they all do "trenchless". The fact I need to tie into the city line is the additional cost. Currently my line connects to my neighbor in his yard and his line connects to the city line. Essentially I am piggy backing off his line for the last 10 feet.
    My neighbor's will cost about $4k , mine will be more due to the fact they will need to create a "new" line to the city sewer. Happens all the time in Portland in older neighborhoods.

You need to "Hot Tap" the main sewer. Think about what is actually occurring for a moment and I think you we realize that $6-8K is a fair price. Sounds like that main is probably in a right of way and not under a road or sidewalk. I' be impressed if that can be done trenchless. I've never seen it however our sewer lines are minimum 3' below grade out in the tundra.

Make sure that The City or water/san district inspects the open hole. These are big money makers for often questionable contractors. Everywhere is different but as you are aware, you own it, it is your problem, but the city can make you deal with it. You should be able to get your hands on some spec sheets regarding grade, compaction, fittings...all the good stuff.

Ice, you wouldn't believe what happens even in new construction. It really takes a lot of oversight to make sure it gets done right. When it doesn't get done right it is often years before it gets discovered.

Here are two example that happened recently. 1. The T where the service lateral connects to the main was installed backwards. Every 5 years, by law you need to jet the main. That's a lot of pressure, you've seen those trucks with the hose down the man hole. Blew the poor old geezer straight off the shitter. That is some bad timing. 2. Shady contractor couldn't find the sewer tap to make the proper connection. The is a common problem. Many excavators have no brains and think that the way you find something is by digging around with a track hoe....or you just use an inspection camera. They just tapped into the downstream neighbors lateral and in the process broke the line between the T and the tap. Sewer district didn't properly inspect. The line subsequently got full of dirt and failed to work. New homeowner gets shit backing up into his downstairs shower even when he is not using any water. Plumber can't figure it out. Upstream neighbor, blind to the world, is now basically pooping in his neighbors basement. Water and san district ends up splitting the cost of repairs three ways with both homeowners. Contractors walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    2. Shady contractor couldn't find the sewer tap to make the proper connection. The is a common problem. Many excavators have no brains and think that the way you find something is by digging around with a track hoe....or you just use an inspection camera. They just tapped into the downstream neighbors lateral and in the process broke the line between the T and the tap. Sewer district didn't properly inspect. The line subsequently got full of dirt and failed to work. New homeowner gets shit backing up into his downstairs shower even when he is not using any water. Plumber can't figure it out. Upstream neighbor, blind to the world, is now basically pooping in his neighbors basement. Water and san district ends up splitting the cost of repairs three ways with both homeowners. Contractors walk.
    Most maxims aren’t universally true. In this case the old adage, “Fences make for better neighbors” falls down.

Now that I think for a minute, there is an additional piece of info. Upstream neighbor who's house was build first, connected to the wrong downstream tap. That's why he had to share the cost. Contractors were just lazy however. Once the problem was IDd, there were many fixes available.

Ice, you wouldn't believe what happens even in new construction. It really takes a lot of oversight to make sure it gets done right. When it doesn't get done right it is often years before it gets discovered.

Here are two example that happened recently. 1. The T where the service lateral connects to the main was installed backwards. Every 5 years, by law you need to jet the main. That's a lot of pressure, you've seen those trucks with the hose down the man hole. Blew the poor old geezer straight off the shitter. That is some bad timing. .
    Your jurisdiction requires the use of some sort of one way valve on a sanitary sewer service lateral?

You need to "Hot Tap" the main sewer. Think about what is actually occurring for a moment and I think you we realize that $6-8K is a fair price. Sounds like that main is probably in a right of way and not under a road or sidewalk. I' be impressed if that can be done trenchless. I've never seen it however our sewer lines are minimum 3' below grade out in the tundra.

Make sure that The City or water/san district inspects the open hole. These are big money makers for often questionable contractors. Everywhere is different but as you are aware, you own it, it is your problem, but the city can make you deal with it. You should be able to get your hands on some spec sheets regarding grade, compaction, fittings...all the good stuff.
    Portland has their specifications posted online.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Your jurisdiction requires the use of some sort of one way valve on a sanitary sewer service lateral?
    No, but when you install the T the right way, high pressure jetting down the main just blows right by. When you do it backwards, Grandpa gets a shit-nado for breakfast.

"backflow preventers" are used on the water line to protect from cross contamination due to siphonage, infiltration from irrigation systems and stuff like that.

So the 'T' is a sweep/street?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR