Page 219 of 380 FirstFirst ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Can you video the part where you mix 5 bags of cement in the trash can and dump it onto the floor?
    ^^^^^^
    Yes please, that's so funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Can you video the part where you mix 5 bags of cement in the trash can and dump it onto the floor?
    yes but honestly pls help. I'm fucked otherwise. How bad of a plan is that? I reckon I don't need a cement mixer for this job, self leveling compound is easy enough to mix on its own

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I was going to post the same question. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    How bad of a plan is that?
    Assuming you're using 50 lb bags, five bags plus water is pushing 300 lbs....

One bag is easy, 5 in a TC won't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Assuming you're using 50 lb bags, five bags plus water is pushing 300 lbs....
    Well yeah the plan was to get it stationed and then tip it over and lett'er dump all over the room. Me and wifey will have the egg beater mixers going to town on the bags, girls gone wild tag team style.

I clearly have thought this all out. Admittedly I was a little drunk when I did so but this makes perfect sense

What could go wrong??

Well yeah the plan was to get it stationed and then tip it over and lett'er dump all over the room.
    At the very least I'd "dry" run this idea by taking the trash can you have in mind, filling it with water outside, and seeing if you can dump the water out in a semi-controlled manner and without structural failure of the trash can.

At the very least I'd "dry" run this idea by taking the trash can you have in mind, filling it with water outside, and seeing if you can dump the water out in a semi-controlled manner and without structural failure of the trash can.
    https://youtu.be/vu2NK5REvWM

okay question for the collective

i'm leveling a floor in order to start installing bamboo flooring - using self leveling compound. 90% of the project area is already close to level and i doubt i could improve upon it. one room is dramatically off-level, and so far i've put 9 bags of concrete in it to raise it. i'm getting close to level, but i did each pour individually more or less, so there are weird ridges and such.

thinking the best way to address those small ridges is just to get a big trash can and mix up 5 bags all at once and do one final big pour. then, i'll take an angle grinder to any high spots. thoughts on this approach? is there a better way to do this?
    Are you using concrete or self leveling? I’m confused.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Are you using concrete or self leveling? I’m confused.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I thought it was called hydraulic concrete? The self leveling 50# bags is what I'm using

yes but honestly pls help. I'm fucked otherwise. How bad of a plan is that? I reckon I don't need a cement mixer for this job, self leveling compound is easy enough to mix on its own

Easy to mix yes. Easy to hold that quantity... no. Rent an electric stand mixer that will hold it all, pour manageable amounts into buckets and spread it. It's $50 well spent
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    (old, fabric covered stuff from the 1950's). However, I'm pretty sure I'm trading one problem for another if I stuff a GFCI in the old box since it won't be even close to modern wire fill requirements. I'm concerned about fire hazard with that old insulation since it is 50/50 if it falls apart when you mess with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    ^^ If you can find a sparky who will be ok with that plan (unlikely, unless he's a friend), it might work. The old wire will (should) be stapled to the studs a few inches from the boxes whether it's coming from above or below, though, so good luck pulling it out of there. In the same vein, it will be impossible to re-staple your new wire, so there's no way to satisfy that code requirement.
    I haven't read the last few NECs, but I'd be surprised if this has changed: unsupported NMC is allowed to be fished through finished walls, so the new wire would only need a staple if you're opening the wall (like to install a bigger box - which although ugly, solves the box fill issue as well).

I agree that the chances of removing the old wire(s) without opening up the wall(s) are slim. Also agree that it's unlikely that someone licensed will go half-zees on the job.

I've seen ground conductors only added to 2 wire outlets from the crawl space before. You then run them all to a bus bar and voila, you have ground. IDK if this is legal, but logic says it will work and be way easier than your plan.
    It was legal (probably still is). It's still a lot of fishing, doesn't fix the cloth insulated/brittle issue, and the point of connection needs to be accessible.

Nothing says that you can't just abandon the circuit (disconnect both ends, label the conductors, and put blank covers on the boxes). Then fish a new branch circuit with new boxes.

yes but honestly pls help.
    I'm not sure I have answers, but I think it's gonna be really hard to control where 300# of anything sorta liquidy goes if you just tip it over. Assuming, this trash can holds that and doesn't blow out, center the can in the area and perhaps you can drill out a 2-3" hole on the side of it after you get it mixed and kinda spin the can around to distribute it. Second, I've never tried to mix that amount in a trash can, you sure your mixers can handle that?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Self leveling compound was invented to trick people into thinking that there is an easy way to make bad floors level.

You always need 5-10x the amount you think you'll need, and it never spreads out nicely or really even self levels. Then, if you're putting anything other than tile over it the shit will gradually turn to powder underneath the finished floor.

The right place to put your trash can video is OnlyFans. That way you can actually make a profit, which might offset some of the cost of cleanup. No mixer you can rent/move around yourself can handle 5 bags anyway.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Self leveling compound was invented to trick people into thinking that there is an easy way to make bad floors level.
    What's the right approach? Pull up the flooring and subfloor and start from the joists?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    What's the right approach? Pull up the flooring and subfloor and start from the joists?
    it's a concrete basement, so idk what other options i have

live with a weird ass floor?

Ideally you'd clear everything out, and have a new floor poured but that's $$.

Where's this uneven section? Near a wall or in the middle of the floor? If it's near the wall maybe consider boxing that out and making some shelves, a stripper pole for the wife, or something?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A trashcan would not even be on my radar, I think I would mix in a wheelbarrow and if I didnt have one I would borrow or buy one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Le-sigh. Story time, it can be done because I've done it.

So back in 2019 I had a basement with 34 dewatering well pits in it. And by basement I mean underground train station. Each dewatering well pit took about 1 cy of masteremanco S440 self consolidating grout, which needed to be mixed using a drill paddle for 3 minutes minimum. No crane access, no pump access, so we got a couple stand mixers down there just to hold and pour the mud. The blades in a home despot mixer don't agitate the mix enough to kick off the admixtures so you still need to use a motor drill and paddle just the same, but it kicks ass for pouring. Needed two mixers and 3 laborers, one breaking bags into the mixer, one on the drill, one pouring the second mixer out. Same process for a self leveling grout.

Rent something like this
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-5-...X001/305293801

And rent a proper mixing drill, or just be prepared to throw your drill out afterward because you're going to burn out a basic homeowner drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stark-16...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

edit: just saw you're in a concrete basement. If you want to really do it right, rent a 30# chipping gun with a bushing hammer (or a rotohammer but it will take longer). Roughen up your floor to 1/4" amplitude before pouring the grout and thoroughly clean it of all loose debris and dust. This gives the grout something to grip onto so it won't get turned into powder. You need to protect yourself and everything in there from the dust you will create, this is a serious health hazard but is easily managed with a fitted half face respirator.

don't they use something to bind new cement to the old cement and I thot it was along the lines of lepages wood glue or SFT ?

or maybe not needed with grout or leveling compund OR ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

it's a concrete basement, so idk what other options i have

live with a weird ass floor?
    Maybe this doesn't apply to bamboo, but I was under the impression (quite likely wrong) that wood flooring is a bad idea on a basement slab. Or, at least it's a bad idea on an old basement slab without a good vapor barrier, which I'm guessing is what you're dealing with.

Maybe this doesn't apply to bamboo, but I was under the impression (quite likely wrong) that wood flooring is a bad idea on a basement slab. Or, at least it's a bad idea on an old basement slab without a good vapor barrier, which I'm guessing is what you're dealing with.
    Yeah a couple factors here -

1. It's an engineered floor. Meaning multiple layers of crosswoven strands that create very high dimensional stability
    2. We're using a vapor barrier liner
    3. We've tested humidity and moisture emissions from the slab and we're well within manufacturer guidelines

The glue products out there are to help with shear forces on unroughened surfaces. I've never used concrete glue in a structure because every spec wants a 1/4" roughened surface for bonding structural concrete. I have used concrete glue when dry-packing concrete pipe joints. It's not as good as fire clay for making a sticky mortar that will actually bond. Fire clay isn't what you want for a floor through, it can make your mix into a sticky pizza dough.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Generally, we lack perspective. You aren’t a special unique snowflake who has it harder than everybody else. I genuinely feel sorry for the guys (and gals) who break their bodies with repetitive and endless hard manual labor. But none of the shit you describe as “hard” is any different than my job that I too frequently grind 70+ hour weeks doing. And I’m a banker. They literally make jokes about how easy my job is.

Y’all contractors need to get over yourself.
    You ever have to see people get life altering injuries or killed on the job? Some shit I’ve dealt with is hard. I’ve had a couple close calls as well. Two involving cranes, one tipped over and the boom landed where I was just standing before running, the other lost control of raising and lowering the boom while we were landing a load of iron on the joists, I barely made it to a safe spot before it went down, watched a guy fall @ 40’ on to concrete, you don’t want to fall of a ladder either, I’ve got more but rather not drag those things back up
    Last edited by snoqpass; 10-13-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

brings to mind the truism: "nice, fast, cheap...pick one"