Page 173 of 380 FirstFirst ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 9498
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Is this in relation to my question or the ratshed, riser?

Seriously, any mag who knows this kinda shit and wouldn't mind answering random questions now and then... I'd gladly trade you as much dope coffee as you can drink to pick your brain. Just don't wanna cunt up this thread with a million dumb questions

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    My wife is a master tiler, has done travertine as well as slate.
    But we do the old school methods and new ones have been introduced.
    Don't know shit about SimpleMat.

If you're looking for shortcuts, my opinion is that you're on the wrong track. Expect work.

Make sure the plywood underneath is screwed down. We do a complete sealer across the room, right up to the walls. It's a paint on black goo sealer, I can't remember the brand names.
    Then we screw in a backerboard like cement board. Make sure it's fitted tight.

My understanding is that there are now interlocking rigid underlayers that float and are not screwed down, but we have never used those.

The point is that you want a rigid underlayer so the tile and grout doesn't crack from flexing.

Decide on a pattern for the tile, lay it out before your start tiling.
    Also, try mixing the tile mortar before you're going to tile to get the consistency right.

The (sl)easy way to do it to trowel the mortar down then lay the tile on top. Spacers are frowned upon for the grout lines by pros, but use them if you're inexperienced.
    If you want bomber tile, back butter each tile. It's a pain, but the result is solid.

What's important to watch is not only a consistency of grout lines, but also the height of each tile. It's really easy to fuck that up and have an uneven surface result.
    Clean any excess mortar right away.

Once done with laying, let it rest a day, then swab it with tile sealer, particularly if the tile has a rough surface like slate or natural stone.

Next, get grout, choose a grout color and mix it up.
    You smear that stuff over the floor with a float and push it in between the tiles.

Once you're done grouting an area, wash it over and over 3 times at least with a sponge to get up the extra grout. That's harder with slate since it's rougher surface, marble and glass are easier to clean up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050_LI.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	380432  
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 07-25-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    But I never noticed it running this much when I moved in. If it were variable speed could you hear the different speeds? What would I look for.

Took a look at the tank. It has a schrader valve up top but no gauge. I’ll throw a gauge on there and take a look.
    You'll need to check this pressure with the tank empty. Kill the power and run water until the it runs dry. It should read around 38 psi. If it's way lower, the above diagnosis of a bad bladder is likely correct.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

So a pressure tank replacement is needed? Is there any other way to diagnose or are those symptoms enough?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    When our pressure tank failed, it was easy to check it by putting a tire pressure gauge on the tank nozzle. The tank bladder had failed, so we got a new one and I got to smudge around with pipe glue again. Wheeeee.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    You'll need to check this pressure with the tank empty. Kill the power and run water until the it runs dry. It should read around 38 psi. If it's way lower, the above diagnosis of a bad bladder is likely correct.
    Winning answer.

Once the pump stops, it will read cutoff pressure even with a broken bladder. By draining the tank first, you will get a reading of the bladder pressure.

Also, another way is to depress the schrader valve with the bladder pressurized. If you get water coming out, it’s toast.
    . . .

Ok so the pump short cycled 5-6 times an hour with no water running. So I turned off the pump, drained the pressure tank as much as I could just from running the faucet and then measured psi. I only got 10 psi.

So with the short cycles and the low pressure it sounds like a bad pressure tank right?

Next question, I’m leaving for the week and can’t address till next weekend. Should I just flip the breakers on the pump? Any reason not to?

You can take a bike pump and top off the bladder. Might buy some time. But usually when they fail, the get flooded with water.

Pump
    It
    Up
    . . .

Ok so the pump short cycled 5-6 times an hour with no water running. So I turned off the pump, drained the pressure tank as much as I could just from running the faucet and then measured psi. I only got 10 psi.

So with the short cycles and the low pressure it sounds like a bad pressure tank right?

Next question, I’m leaving for the week and can’t address till next weekend. Should I just flip the breakers on the pump? Any reason not to?
    Sounds right to me.
    No problem with pump shutdown as long as there's no freeze potential.

With no water running. The pump shouldn’t cycle even if the pressure tank is blown.
    That’s more like a backflow valve not working.
    You might need both.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    My wife is a master tiler, has done travertine as well as slate.
    But we do the old school methods and new ones have been introduced.
    Don't know shit about SimpleMat.

If you're looking for shortcuts, my opinion is that you're on the wrong track. Expect work.

Make sure the plywood underneath is screwed down. We do a complete sealer across the room, right up to the walls. It's a paint on black goo sealer, I can't remember the brand names.
    Then we screw in a backerboard like cement board. Make sure it's fitted tight.

My understanding is that there are now interlocking rigid underlayers that float and are not screwed down, but we have never used those.

The point is that you want a rigid underlayer so the tile and grout doesn't crack from flexing.

Decide on a pattern for the tile, lay it out before your start tiling.
    Also, try mixing the tile mortar before you're going to tile to get the consistency right.

The (sl)easy way to do it to trowel the mortar down then lay the tile on top. Spacers are frowned upon for the grout lines by pros, but use them if you're inexperienced.
    If you want bomber tile, back butter each tile. It's a pain, but the result is solid.

What's important to watch is not only a consistency of grout lines, but also the height of each tile. It's really easy to fuck that up and have an uneven surface result.

Once done with laying, let it rest a day, then get grout, choose a grout color and mix it up.
    You smear that stuff over the floor with a float and push it in between the tiles.

Once you're done grouting an area, wash it over and over 3 times at least with a sponge to get up the extra grout. That's harder with slate since it's rougher surface, marble and glass are easier to clean up.
    I got pretty much those big slate tiles in my entry/ kitchen/ bathroom floor even on the tube walls AND its prefect cuz its the color of dirt if you don't get around with the broom too much

at some point they were getting pretty dull/ dirty/ weathered looking so I scrubbed em down and put this stuff on, it sez wet look but its not really a very wet looking finish on slate tile which naturaly are a mat finish

I liked the look and it protects the tile, its been about 5 yrs and its probably time to do it again
    I https://www.homaxproducts.com/sundri...re-seal-gallon

maybe 14yrs old my grout has lasted pretty good and not cracked out but there are a few high wear places that might need a touch up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sounds right to me.
    No problem with pump shutdown as long as there's no freeze potential.
    Actually going to be almost 2 weeks before I can fix it. But I don’t see it freezing in that time!

Thanks for the answers all.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    With no water running. The pump shouldn’t cycle even if the pressure tank is blown.
    That’s more like a backflow valve not working.
    You might need both.
    Definitely runs with no water running anywhere. I’ll have to Google backflow valves.

So I guess it's not a constant pressure controller? (Shrug)

If it's cycling without any water running you've got another issue. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got pretty much those big slate tiles in my entry/ kitchen/ bathroom floor even on the tube walls AND its prefect cuz its the color of dirt if you don't get around with the broom too much

at some point they were getting pretty dull/ dirty/ weathered looking so I scrubbed em down and put this stuff on, it sez wet look but its not really a very wet looking finish on slate tile which naturaly are a mat finish

I liked the look and it protects the tile, its been about 5 yrs and its probably time to do it again
    I https://www.homaxproducts.com/sundri...re-seal-gallon

maybe 14yrs old my grout has lasted pretty good and not cracked out but there are a few high wear places that might need a touch up
    I forgot the sealer stage after laying the tile but before grouting, which is increasingly important with rougher tile like slate.
    Will edit

I forgot the sealer stage after laying the tile but before grouting, which is increasingly important with rougher tile like slate.
    Will edit
    So you wana seal it BEFORE grouting ?

I sealed an existing floor that was probably 8 yrs old it would get dirty/ rough looking and not look any better after mopping

The sealer made it look nice I was worried it might look too shinny but I thot it turned out pretty good and I'm keen to redo it

Definitely runs with no water running anywhere. I’ll have to Google backflow valves.
    Also known as a check valve.
    For a typical 4” submersible pump, they are usually built into the pump or attached right above the pump.

Depending on how deep your well is, it’s a suck job that might need a pro.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    So you wana seal it BEFORE grouting ?

I sealed an existing floor that was probably 8 yrs old it would get dirty/ rough looking and not look any better after mopping

The sealer made it look nice I was worried it might look too shinny but I thot it turned out pretty good and I'm keen to redo it
    ANY natural stone tile should be sealed before laying. If it isn't sealed before setting, thinset that gets on the surface can bond to it and it is a bitch to remove. The grout will also want to fuck with you and cause you to spend hours cleaning the slate the next day.
    I still remember the first slate entry I laid 26 years ago that I didn't know needed sealing and the hours of scrubbing with vinegar to get it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    ANY natural stone tile should be sealed before laying. If it isn't sealed before setting, thinset that gets on the surface can bond to it and it is a bitch to remove. The grout will also want to fuck with you and cause you to spend hours cleaning the slate the next day.
    I still remember the first slate entry I laid 26 years ago that I didn't know needed sealing and the hours of scrubbing with vinegar to get it clean.
    ha. just went through exactly this rookie mistake. was lucky, though: no thinset on the top and grout was so close in color, any that remains (after copious wiping) is invisible.

turned out ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    ha. just went through exactly this rookie mistake. was lucky, though: no thinset on the top and grout was so close in color, any that remains (after copious wiping) is invisible.

turned out ok.
    You might need some drywall. Unless you’re going full redneck bathroom
    . . .

Also known as a check valve.
    For a typical 4” submersible pump, they are usually built into the pump or attached right above the pump.

Depending on how deep your well is, it’s a suck job that might need a pro.
    This. Pulling a pump isn't for the faint of heart unless it's only like 50 feet down. Even then, if you drop it you're mega, mega fucked.

Wells are all fine and dandy (no water bill) until they give you trouble.

Just flip the breaker while you're gone and deal with it later.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

You might need some drywall. Unless you’re going full redneck bathroom
    heh. lots to do. but I'm enjoying the redneck aspect for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I gotcha

my slate looks pretty good so the guy who did it must have been a pro and sealed before grouting

but the refresh was nice and it could do wiht another refresh

IME don't get that sealer on anything you don't want it on ferinstance the bathtub, a bit of a cleaning job and it did come off but it would have been better to cover the tub off with plastic

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    This. Pulling a pump isn't for the faint of heart unless it's only like 50 feet down. Even then, if you drop it you're mega, mega fucked.

Wells are all fine and dandy (no water bill) until they give you trouble.

Just flip the breaker while you're gone and deal with it later.
    This all sounds awesome. Thanks for the quick help on this.

Google says that it's possible for a bad pressure tank to cause short cycling of a pump, even with no water running, due it trying to build pressure so often?

Anyway, maybe I should call the pro in right away before I worsen the situation.

Actually going to be almost 2 weeks before I can fix it. But I don’t see it freezing in that time!

Thanks for the answers all.
    I never leave our house for more than two days without shutting off our well pump. Cheap insurance to avoid a disaster, leaking water heater, broken pipe, toilet that is running etc etc.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I never leave our house for more than two days without shutting off our well pump. Cheap insurance to avoid a disaster, leaking water heater, broken pipe, toilet that is running etc etc.
    I gather this could apply for municipal water service too.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    100%. Or if your kid doesn't shut of the hose completely and you're not there for 2 weeks and the pump burns out and your well is 650' deep.

Took Clem and Cliff the better part of a day to pull that one up.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang