Page 287 of 380 FirstFirst ... 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,175 of 9497
    Just the thought of prepping some pallet wood makes me cringe. Often it's tough old oak. The nails are practically epoxied in there and often need a crowbar to separate. Then removing all the metal bits and planing each board...waiting for the one nail to ruin the blade. No thanks.

The marquetry is nice though. And I've heard some pallets from the far east end up being exotic woods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevo, glad it worked out proper for ya. Was wondering how it went.

^^^ that's why I only use old pallets for drunken fire tomfoolery

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image from iOS (2).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	423532

I too love the smell of chemically treated pallets off gassing in the morning.

What's the easy way to remove a Pex stainless band clamp? Replacing a couple of connections in an RV, and don't want to cut the pex tubing any shorter.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^ If the clamps are the pinch-together variety there is a tool made to close and release them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    ^ If the clamps are the pinch-together variety there is a tool made to close and release them.
    They're this style:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a crimp tool to fasten them closed, but as best I can tell, the tool does not release the clamps.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    They're this style:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a crimp tool to fasten them closed, but as best I can tell, the tool does not release the clamps.
    Those are different than the automotive cinch clamps I've seen. Looks like the locking tab can be bent up and then clamp removed? At least some of the automotive versions retain some spring so you just use the cinch clamp pliers to add a little tension then release the catch point.

Thanks - I've seen those suggestions on removal, but I can't get a screwdriver tip under that end piece (as pictured). I'll try with a larger set of dikes for grabbing onto the band end.

Cut the band either with a grinder or across the crimped part with sharp angle cutter (ask Gunder for some suggestions).
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Dikes is the answer. As you know already.

Once the clamp is off, use a heat gun to soften the hose.

Thanks. I should have my new fittings tomorrow from Amazon, so I'll give it a try with dikes. If no go, I have a dremel that'll do it.

Good tip on the heat gun too, thanks.

I’m amused that dikes can still be called dikes.

Is it just a New England thing?
    Grew up Midwest. They were wire cutters there.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’m amused that dikes can still be called dikes.

Is it just a New England thing?
    Grew up Midwest. They were wire cutters there.
    Dike: Diagonal Pliers

Dike: Bulldyke: Bull Dick: “well dressed man”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm getting a new cedar fence and there is conflicting information regarding sealing/staining on the internet (imagine that!)

Do I need to stain or seal the fence to maximize life? This is in Western CO, high desert climate. My old house had a cedar fence that I don't think was ever sealed. It had a weathered appearance but was holding up fine and was >10 years old when I sold the place.

I'd love to skip it since it is a fair amount of work, as long as I won't regret it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'm getting a new cedar fence and there is conflicting information regarding sealing/staining on the internet (imagine that!)

Do I need to stain or seal the fence to maximize life? This is in Western CO, high desert climate. My old house had a cedar fence that I don't think was ever sealed. It had a weathered appearance but was holding up fine and was >10 years old when I sold the place.

I'd love to skip it since it is a fair amount of work, as long as I won't regret it down the road.
    short answer: yes, if your only goal is maximizing life

UV will degrade untreated cedar; water isn't the only problem

in the order of unprotected to most protected:
    unstained
    transparent stain
    semi-transparent stain
    semi-solid stain
    solid stain
    painted

that all said, untreated cedar is still pretty durable and, imho, the best looking

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Just the thought of prepping some pallet wood makes me cringe. Often it's tough old oak. The nails are practically epoxied in there and often need a crowbar to separate. Then removing all the metal bits and planing each board...waiting for the one nail to ruin the blade. No thanks.

The marquetry is nice though. And I've heard some pallets from the far east end up being exotic woods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevo, glad it worked out proper for ya. Was wondering how it went.
    My neighbor got some recycled wood from the floor of the B ball court of the defunct Vancover Grizzlies pro team

really nice stuff, he left the BB court lines on the wood which are all random, it looks kind of cool in an old log house
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

unstained
    transparent stain
    semi-transparent stain
    semi-solid stain
    solid stain
    painted

that all said, untreated cedar is still pretty durable and, imho, the best looking
    And that's my conundrum. I'm not going to do anything beyond semi-transparent, and I agree that untreated is the best looking, and IMO matches the character of my house the best. So I guess my question is, what is the real world difference in durability/lifetime between unstained and transparent stain?

In our stupid PNW climate, we get 20-30 years out of cedar fence boards, untreated.

On the Front Range it's generally the fence support structure that goes before the cedar slats.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

unstained
    transparent stain
    semi-transparent stain
    semi-solid stain
    solid stain
    painted

Mostly agree.
    I think treated wood looks better than greyed out wood.
    A painted(paint will provide the most UV protection)fence will rot faster than any other treatment, unless fastidiously maintained! Water will eventually get under the film and not dry out, encouraging rot.

UV's kills all finishes.
    Also, oil finishes will add elasticity back into the wood, helping w/ cracking/warping

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    On the Front Range it's generally the fence support structure that goes before the cedar slats.
    Yeah, that's been my experience everywhere I've ever lived, too. That's the whole reason I'm replacing my current fence. Snapped posts everywhere. While the slats are beat up, they could have been reused. My artsy friend took about half the fence to repurpose, since its pretty old with big saw blade cuts. He's gonna tell people its from an old barn in Telluride

Form the tops of your post bases to shed water away from post and a drainage pad(compactable gravel) @ the bottom of your hole

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    In our stupid PNW climate, we get 20-30 years out of cedar fence boards, untreated.
    Assuming you keep the ends of the boards off the dirt. It's easy to ignore dirt building up against the bottoms of boards that used to be above grade.
    We built a fence with the boards on our side of the supports. Neighbor than puts boards on his side, trapping moisture and debirs, so the post rot above grade. We learned to build fences that look good from the "back" side.

Amen. Make the little above grade pyramids on post bases too, like Tuco said.

We had a fence built with galvanized steel Z posts. Trimmed out the posts to look like solid wood posts. Should last longer than me.