Page 117 of 384 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 9592
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Put a standing seam metal roof on it?
    Standing seam metal roofs present a lot of issues if not installed properly and maintained. Capillary action can cause leaks over time. They expand and contract a lot, which breaks seals. My last house had a metal roof, which I generally liked, but I’m not sure I’d use it on a flat-ish roof.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Only thing that works for me is make sure the place that sells the materials is close cause I know I'm going to fuck up and heading to buy more than I thought I would need.
    And THAT is the answer!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    What do I need to know about low profile and flat roofs on 1960s era mid century modern homes?

These keep popping up in our price range, but I’m a little leery of getting involved with these roofing systems. What is available other than membrane type systems?

Anything else to know about homes built in the 60s?
    Too much to cover, but willing to chat
    Pm if you want to talk direct later this week

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I'm about to help my GF redo her interior moldings. Any of you pros have a trick to buying the right number of the right length pieces to minimize waste? Using 3 different sizes... base, horizontals above doors and windows, and verticals.
    https://jonathan.overholt.org/projects/cutlist

Cut list calculator. Measure carefully then add 1 inch for miters.

Then buy 3 more boards of each flavor. If you need to splice a board because the run is longer than max length stock pieces, put a 45 bevel on it, don't butt square ends together. Running back to the store is the drive of shame. There will be z shocking amount of waste.

As far as the 1960's era, Fred forgot about Orangeburg pipe and Transite (abestos) roof vents. At least Transite is non-friable unless you break it. Easier to dispose of for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    My sis is in a Rummer home in Beaverton. I'd never heard of them until she bought the house - he was a developer who built a bunch of mid-century modern homes in the Portland suburbs in the 50s and 60s. It has a flat or possibly slightly pitched roof, and I've never heard from her that she's had issues with leaking. I'll ask her about required maintenance and if she's had issues.
    Sister says: "I have a rubber roof and it has been great. Parts of my roof are completely flat. If it doesn't have a membrane on it with a warrantee I would try to get the seller to add it. [Dan: good luck with that in the current market.] My roof tore once when the chimney hood got torn off in a windstorm and got blown across the roof. it leaked then. They were able to patch it and it's been fine ever since!"

But really, you should get on the phone with ::: :::

Rummer homes re actually pretty cool and if you find one that hasn't been butchered they are very desirable. Most folks listing them will tell you about a 1000 times it's a "Rummer".

Only thing that works for me is make sure the place that sells the materials is close cause I know I'm going to fuck up and heading to buy more than I thought I would need.
    True that, I don't intend to repair something without realising if I'll come lacking materials midway of the process lol.

Rummer homes re actually pretty cool and if you find one that hasn't been butchered they are very desirable. Most folks listing them will tell you about a 1000 times it's a "Rummer".
    Oh yeah, her house is awesome. The design has some challenges for a wet climate like ours, but the flow of the space inside is great - pretty similar to our contemporary ideal, with lots of open space and what is effectively a great room. The courtyard is really nice too.

Oh yeah, her house is awesome. The design has some challenges for a wet climate like ours, but the flow of the space inside is great - pretty similar to our contemporary ideal, with lots of open space and what is effectively a great room. The courtyard is really nice too.
    There are some nice mid century moderns near Reed College that I would live in a hot second. Most that I have seen seem to have low pitch roofs not a true flat roof that started as a torch down. I live in a tudor and the space usage in it suck and can't wait to pull the plug when the last kid is done with high school. So sick of inner SE PDX douchiness coupled with all the problems that come with urban living.

So sick of inner SE PDX douchiness coupled with all the problems that come with urban living.
    Preach! I moved to close-in SE (Richmond area) in 2000, couldn't imagine ever wanting to leave, and now I feel like I've been here at least 2 years too long. My immediate neighbors are awesome, but otherwise, fahgeddaboutit.

Preach! I moved to close-in SE (Richmond area) in 2000, couldn't imagine ever wanting to leave, and now I feel like I've been here at least 2 years too long. My immediate neighbors are awesome, but otherwise, fahgeddaboutit.
    I live near 28th and Division and the douche factor is too much. Last kid is a junior in high school so we need to come up with a exit strategy. Just hoping the stupid over priced values for shitty lower middle class homes in SE PDX holds. Friend just sold a shit box 3/2 , about 1700 square feet for over $600k. NOTHING about that house was quality but it sold in a week for slightly above asking.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Then buy 3 more boards of each flavor. If you need to splice a board because the run is longer than max length stock pieces, put a 45 bevel on it, don't butt square ends together.
    That cut list is too complicated for me. For base/random window casing I just measure every run and round up to the nearest foot. So a 40" run is 4', etc. Then add ~10%. Trying to get each piece to the inch is a recipe for failure and frustration as you spend way too much time thinking about where each drop is destined to end up.

Doors are easy if you are using door-specific casing that comes in 7' sticks, you just get 5 for each door (two legs on each side and one stick for two tops).

Also scarfs should be 30* not 45* unless you want to fight hard for no reason. And all base scarfs should be on a stud if you can--another reason not to try and measure cuts to the inch.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

I live near 28th and Division and the douche factor is too much. Last kid is a junior in high school so we need to come up with a exit strategy. Just hoping the stupid over priced values for shitty lower middle class homes in SE PDX holds. Friend just sold a shit box 3/2 , about 1700 square feet for over $600k. NOTHING about that house was quality but it sold in a week for slightly above asking.
    Just got a 3/2 in Reed with a two-car garage. Needs cosmetic work but it’s a steal compared to some of the houses that are shitty flips with “charm”. Give me a 1980s layout any day.

Still seeing houses in SE go well above asking regardless of condition. Just no supply still.

Remodel question:
    Anyone gone with artificial turf in their yard? Especially if you have dogs? For the amount of rain we get here most grass just turns to mud in the winter. I’d love something that gives grass-like look and doesn’t let the dog track mud through the house half the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Remodel question:
    Anyone gone with artificial turf in their yard? Especially if you have dogs? For the amount of rain we get here most grass just turns to mud in the winter. I’d love something that gives grass-like look and doesn’t let the dog track mud through the house half the year.
    We are currently debating turf. We have dogs and active soccer playing kids. A few of our kids' friends have installed turf, one over 10 years ago, and they love it. We were going to start looking into it more come spring as we just finished a home remodel. We live in Mt. Tabor area and are blown away by the recent prices and values.

Friend just sold a shit box 3/2 , about 1700 square feet for over $600k. NOTHING about that house was quality but it sold in a week for slightly above asking.
    We're likely selling in the next 3 months or so; how'd your friend like their agent? Was that house in SE? And yeah, I'm hoping that people continue to pay ridiculous prices. Most likely going to be in a rental for awhile after this and the rental market apparently is down so that works out nicely.

We are super close, I'm like 2 blocks from Richmond school. If covid wasn't a thing, we could car pool. Oh yeah, and if I still snowboarded Been a pretty patchy few years between injuries and other commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    That cut list is too complicated for me. For base/random window casing I just measure every run and round up to the nearest foot. So a 40" run is 4', etc. Then add ~10%. Trying to get each piece to the inch is a recipe for failure and frustration as you spend way too much time thinking about where each drop is destined to end up.

Doors are easy if you are using door-specific casing that comes in 7' sticks, you just get 5 for each door (two legs on each side and one stick for two tops).

Also scarfs should be 30* not 45* unless you want to fight hard for no reason. And all base scarfs should be on a stud if you can--another reason not to try and measure cuts to the inch.
    I get it. I've used cut list calculators in the past for other projects and they're quite useful. If he was running a single type of baseboard I'd agree with what you're saying. For buying, measure long, round up to the foot, and buy extra. When the time comes to actually cut, measure and get your complete cut list first, toss it in the calculator and you might be surprised how much material you can actually save.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

We're likely selling in the next 3 months or so; how'd your friend like their agent? Was that house in SE? And yeah, I'm hoping that people continue to pay ridiculous prices. Most likely going to be in a rental for awhile after this and the rental market apparently is down so that works out nicely.

We are super close, I'm like 2 blocks from Richmond school. If covid wasn't a thing, we could car pool. Oh yeah, and if I still snowboarded Been a pretty patchy few years between injuries and other commitments.
    House sold off 32nd ish and Division, don't know about the agent at all. I usually roll with my kids and that a whole other challenge in itself. Takes quite a bit of patience when loading up teens. If you plan on being close in the rental market is not too different than what it's been for a few years. I keep my ears on the ground cause I have a few rentals. If you want an apartment or live outside inner PDX it's much cheaper. If you have dog(s) that'll add another hurdle in the mix.

If you plan on being close in the rental market is not too different than what it's been for a few years. I keep my ears on the ground cause I have a few rentals. If you want an apartment or live outside inner PDX it's much cheaper. If you have dog(s) that'll add another hurdle in the mix.
    We're moving out of the area - up to the Seattle metro. It's an open question how often I'll be expected to actually be in the office though, so we could be somewhere further out with better recreation access like Enumclaw or Sammamish, or we might need to be closer in to the Seattle/Bellevue area. Really hoping to wind up in Enumclaw or somewhere similar, but TBD, like everything else these days.

I don't think I've ever actually connected in person with any PDX mags, I'll have to keep an eye out for any meetups on the hill this spring (I'm a spring pass guy), assuming I'm still around.

My dad had astroturf in his yard in San Diego. I didn’t think I’d like it but it was nice enough and very little maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    https://jonathan.overholt.org/projects/cutlist

Cut list calculator. Measure carefully then add 1 inch for miters.

Then buy 3 more boards of each flavor. If you need to splice a board because the run is longer than max length stock pieces, put a 45 bevel on it, don't butt square ends together. Running back to the store is the drive of shame. There will be z shocking amount of waste.
    We amateurs with lots of time on our hands prefer to cope the inside corners. : -- )

There are some nice mid century moderns near Reed College that I would live in a hot second. Most that I have seen seem to have low pitch roofs not a true flat roof that started as a torch down. I live in a tudor and the space usage in it suck and can't wait to pull the plug when the last kid is done with high school. So sick of inner SE PDX douchiness coupled with all the problems that come with urban living.
    We have a 30's Tudor with 14/12 hipped roof, except the back which is 20/12. We were able to fit 3 bedrooms and a full bath in the attic under the existing roof, with the addition of 3 dormers. That wasted space in a Tudor can be nice.

Just got a 3/2 in Reed with a two-car garage. Needs cosmetic work but it’s a steal compared to some of the houses that are shitty flips with “charm”. Give me a 1980s layout any day.

Still seeing houses in SE go well above asking regardless of condition. Just no supply still.

Remodel question:
    Our friend in Sacramento--contractor, architect, extremely fussy (makes his own windows from scratch) is very pleased with his artificial grass in the back. His husky likes it too.

There are a few houses in the neighborhood that have put in astroturf, and one of them has dogs. It definitely solves the mud problem, but at one house near us, they covered their whole front yard, and their dog shits on it. I think that cleaning dog shit off astroturf (and the knowledge you can't get it all) is a million times grosser than scooping it off dirt/grass, but if you can encourage your dog not to shit on it, could be a good way to go.

That’s exactly what I’d be concerned about. Having her go shit in the garden sort of defeats the purpose of keeping mud out. Some of them seem to be porous so maybe it just washed away like on real grass?

The installations near me definitely seem water permeable, but IDK about solids. If you're up for some lateral thinking:

That’s exactly what I’d be concerned about. Having her go shit in the garden sort of defeats the purpose of keeping mud out. Some of them seem to be porous so maybe it just washed away like on real grass?
    Yeah, you can get porous turf. We use it in dog parks in apartment developments. Drain system underneath so it can be cleaned with a power washer.

We're moving out of the area - up to the Seattle metro. It's an open question how often I'll be expected to actually be in the office though, so we could be somewhere further out with better recreation access like Enumclaw or Sammamish, or we might need to be closer in to the Seattle/Bellevue area. Really hoping to wind up in Enumclaw or somewhere similar, but TBD, like everything else these days.

I don't think I've ever actually connected in person with any PDX mags, I'll have to keep an eye out for any meetups on the hill this spring (I'm a spring pass guy), assuming I'm still around.
    Friends kid and boyfriend just moved back to PDX from Seattle. Both are Amazon employeea and when they went remote they didn't renew their lease in Lake Union area and moves near south waterfront PDX. Same Seattle wage and much cheaper rent. IDK if it's permanent but they are both Portland kids and love being back home , the $1k plus savings in rent doesn't hurt either.