Page 323 of 380 FirstFirst ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,075 of 9497
    Can we play "guess the doohickey"?

My pick is the brass sleeve on the 1/4 compression fitting.

We need photos Caligrown. And did you really expect your wife to handle that task? I mean run it back. You came here asking for advice and then turned her loose on it and now you are riding her ass because see doesn't know WFT is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Not right or wrong, but I'd go fiberglass given the choice. They seem to perform better in the Colorado mountain climate. The finish on the aluminum deteriorates faster. I'm talking 20 years so maybe you don't care.
    Yeah, my buddy who installs Pella seemed to allude to this but wasn't very specific. Pella rep just offered to quote Pella 250 as well, which sounds like a cheaper version of Vinyl compared to Impervia. Might be the ticket? I'm looking at our current condo as a 5-15 year option, so not looking for the best of the best. Current windows are 15y/o Milgard vinyl that have broken down.

Can we play "guess the doohickey"?

My pick is the brass sleeve on the 1/4 compression fitting.

We need photos Caligrown. And did you really expect your wife to handle that task? I mean run it back. You came here asking for advice and then turned her loose on it and now you are riding her ass because see doesn't know WFT is going on?
    dingdingding, winner! Of course its the obvious. I guess the original compression fitting was a different thread pattern than the new refrigerators connection?

Wife was having a very rough day (i wont get into it), was insistent that she could and would take care of it, and i felt it best to suppress my inner engineer and not give helpful hints, tips and solutions, or pull the "im the man of the house and an engineer, let me handle it" card. She is also remarkably handy at some things (grew up fixing and flipping condos with her dad) like tiling, and drywall, and certain electrical, but really illogical at other things. She actually ended up making 4 trips to home depot and ACE trying to get the correct compression fitting. Turns out that the first one she bought (i think?) worked fine, she just wasnt snugging it down so it kept pulling off and leaking and so thought it was too big. So i now have an additional 3 compression fittings of various sizes and threadings in the misc bin in the garage.

Moral of the story, its 1/4" plastic tubing that comes up through a hastily drilled hole in the floor- so 100% a saddle connection in crawl space. the compression fitting went on fine when i got home, no leakage detected for an hour after hookup, ice was made overnight, and ill be pulling the fridge back out this evening to double check no wet connections/leakage. We are planning to have pros do a full blowup/remodel of the kitchen in the next 2- 5 years and we will get water hardpiped to a little cubby at the back of fridge then... where ever the fridge goes in that new layout.

Well if my experience with plumbing fittings is anything like hers, it’s just a crap shoot on what’s going to fit or not.

How do they take something so simple and make it so complicated? You don’t need any training to put the pipes together like legos, but you need a goddamn Rosetta Stone to figure out what 1/4” piece fits another 1/4” piece.

any time I do plumbing I buy anything that might work, use whatever fits/ works and take 75% of it back

so don't forget to keep the receipt.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah but the compression fitting won't work on the plastic tubing I don't think.

Also, can we explore the idea that your training as an engineer translates into home repair acumen?

Seriously thought, water to the refer is probably the second most common house flood mechanism I see after frozen pipes.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Stand alone ice makers. Every time I see one I tell the people "you need to get rid of that".

Yeah but the compression fitting won't work on the plastic tubing I don't think.

Also, can we explore the idea that your training as an engineer translates into home repair acumen?

Seriously thought, water to the refer is probably the second most common house flood mechanism I see after frozen pipes.

The existing compression fitting worked for probably 20 years judging by how old the fridge was.

As for being an engineer, designing water systems (outside buildings) helps me know the purpose of fittings and the general concepts for the plumbing involved. And the engineering i do has rubbed off so that i now focus first on understanding the how and why of everything before starting in on a fix so that even when things arent a quick smooth fix, i generally know how to make it work and accomplish the same goal. I dont have the knowledge or experience to do things quickly or know exactly what to do the first time, but similar concepts apply from my day job, and the method for problem solving carries over pretty well. Dont get it twisted, i know my level of handiness and it aint high. But it would be A LOT lower if not for my day job.

Yep, i have always heard that fridge water connection are a PITA. Its not in the budget currently to drop $1k for a hardpiped connection that will likely get ripped out in a couple years. So i might just get one of those water detectors to drop behind the fridge for a little peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    any time I do plumbing I buy anything that might work, use whatever fits/ works and take 75% of it back

so don't forget to keep the receipt.
    My plumbing projects are more in the 4 trips to the hardware store camp.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We recently had plumbing work done; the initial request was to install a new kitchen faucet, but the contractor took one look at the mess of aging copper in the basement (which included a lot of vestigial stuff related to a disused well and a disused but still installed hot water heater) and decided that cleaning up all that crap should happen. I wasn't about to disagree.

Anyhow, in the process, the subject of the line to the refrigerator came up. Contractor was on the fence about trying to set it back up and get the ice maker working (it hasn't in recent memory). I was firmly in the screw that camp, so we now have a lot fewer potential points of failure. Not cheap, but vastly reducing the number of copper joints makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Stand alone ice makers. Every time I see one I tell the people "you need to get rid of that".
    Why? I’m considering an under-the-counter continuous ice maker.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

They love to leak or malfunction and overflow. Great for ruining floors and creating indoor water falls.

If you really want one, or even if you don't, seriously consider a leak detection system. One of the greatest inventions ever.

Apparently there are compression fittings for plastic tubing.

They love to leak or malfunction and overflow. Great for ruining floors and creating indoor water falls.

If you really want one, or even if you don't, seriously consider a leak detection system. One of the greatest inventions ever.
    Gotcha. My RO system has one of these leak detectors that shuts down the supply if the sensor pad gets wet and expands.

https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/leak-detector-pou.htm

It worked really well when a bottle of windex leaked under my sink and triggered the shut off on the RO supply.

I figured I’d put one of these inline near the ice maker as well.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Gotcha. My RO system has one of these leak detectors that shuts down the supply if the sensor pad gets wet and expands.

https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/leak-detector-pou.htm

It worked really well when a bottle of windex leaked under my sink and triggered the shut off on the RO supply.

I figured I’d put one of these inline near the ice maker as well.
    They also have smart device whole house systems that detect leaks and shut down main supply lines.

Apparently there are compression fittings for plastic tubing.
    Yep. They are extremely leak tight too.

They also have smart device whole house systems that detect leaks and shut down main supply lines.
    Any recommendations? This is something I want but don’t know where to start.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Any recommendations? This is something I want but don’t know where to start.
    Depends on how you want to set it up and type of residence - year round vs vacation. Watercop and Honeywell are the ones I see the most. Both use remote sensors, have cold temperature sensoring (if your furnace fails and interior temps drop to a certain degree), can send leak and temp alarms to your phone or a caretakers. Watercop also has a main valve that will shut off automaticlly if it detects a leak at one of the sensors. There are other smart sensors out there that "learn" your typical water usage, and if it detects something abnormal in flow will automatically shut the main supply down. Moen makes one that I know of, there are others too.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yep. They are extremely leak tight too.
    The company I work for makes industrial equipment, much of which has pneumatic actuators. Air lines are all plastic with push-in fittings running up to 80psi, and completely leak free.

Ask This Old House has had several episodes about leak sensors. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/search?q=leak+sensors

Anybody have experience with this pier system?

Ground level deck, Teton Valley ID, site is soil full of river cobble and won't be easy to dig footings in, even with a skid steer auger I suspect. I wonder if this would get kicked around off level as it hit rocks.

I don't think it would be frost protected and I don't think those pins would go through rock. If you want a non engineered solution and you are OK with some movement either use a spread footing or a grid of sleepers.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Ground level deck, Teton Valley ID, site is soil full of river cobble and won't be easy to dig footings in, even with a skid steer auger I suspect. I wonder if this would get kicked around off level as it hit rocks.
    My concern would be the poles rotting away over time without being able to see.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

I kept watching to see if they where going to pile drive the rods into a utility line or worse.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Seems great for the beach.