Page 289 of 380 FirstFirst ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,225 of 9497
    What is a reasonable cost for painting the interior of a 3k square foot 4 bedroom 3.5 bath two story house with some vaulted ceilings?

The guys who stained my house quoted me $5k including materials for a primer coat and two coats of color and prep work including masking and caulking. That seems reasonable, but I've never had a house painted so I'm not sure.

FWIW, I'm really happy with the work they did staining so I'm planning to moving forward unless the quote is way high (I'm guessing not?).

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

3K with vaulted ceilings? What’s 3wks of your time worth to you? If you like these guys’ previous business, I think 5k is pretty reasonable.

Seriously. In my mind that seems like an entirely a realistic price. I'm a cheap ass that likes to do everything myself, have painted my house before and my house is 1100 square feet and I would feel like 2.5k to 3k bucks is a bargain.

way back in the day a buddy ( high balling lumber trader ) was messing/ stressing over a shity handy man

so i said think about what you make per hr and what are you paying this guy and he quit stressing

last house exteriour i painted was for a GF and she had agreed to take me to france, in the end I told her it wasn't enough and she gave me a propane BBQ but knowing what i know I wouldn't have agreed to do the job period
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    So far we have a recommendation for a 10 year old Harbor Freight pressure washer and a collapsible hose. FFS.
    FFS I recommend AGAINST a collapsible hose--at least one as long as ours. If it means a lot to you I can go measure it for you, but you'll have to wait until it stops raining. (God is great.) BTW it's nice to have an extra long hose that stores in a small place, that fits in a closet in a 5gal bucket in the winter and doesn't turn to iron pipe when I use it in the winter As long as I don't need high flow.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FFS I recommend AGAINST a collapsible hose--at least one as long as ours. If it means a lot to you I can go measure it for you, but you'll have to wait until it stops raining. (God is great.) BTW it's nice to have an extra long hose that stores in a small place, that fits in a closet in a 5gal bucket in the winter and doesn't turn to iron pipe when I use it in the winter As long as I don't need high flow.
    I tried a collapsible hose for the sprinkler when I was working on reestablishing some grass this spring. It was really fun when the spring factor of the hose was enough to move the sprinkler as I turned it on.

For actually walking around and watering at less than 90% extension, I can see some benefit. We ended up better off with a longer, heavier-duty hose.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Kevo, that strikes me as a very reasonable price. Maybe even low for around here.

Why though, do you need 3 coats? Are you making drastic color changes?

Shouldn't otherwise need primer unless covering maroon to go white or some big shift.
    2 coats of quality paint should cover most colors perfectly. Same color only needs one to refresh.

Now I'm jonesin' to come inspect the abode...

Seems odd to me to pay somebody to paint the inside of your house. I know it’s a thing, but I’m a chronic DIY’er with a long family pedigree of beating ourselves into the mud doing jobs we should really just hire out. For satisfaction or something. Honestly I’m halfway into a 10 day renovation sprint on my old house so we can sell it and I forget any of the reasons why I think it’s a good idea.

But seriously, I never know what color I want every room painted all at once. We just go room to room as it suits us and never have a big enough interior paint job that feels like it rises to the level of professionals.

Yours will probably look a lot nicer than mine, though.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Kevo, that strikes me as a very reasonable price. Maybe even low for around here.

Shouldn't otherwise need primer unless covering maroon to go white or some big shift.
    2 coats of quality paint should cover most colors perfectly. Same color only needs one to refresh.

Yeah I'd jump all over that price.

Thanks everyone. I think the price seems reasonable too and they are estimating 3-4 days of time for 3 experienced dudes, so in the range of 12 days of work for one person. It would probably take me more time than that if I were to do it because I am not a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Thanks for the advice, mang. I'm honestly not sure why the need for 3 coats- it is the preference and advice of the painters and I don't know enough to have an opinion either way nor do I know if it would save much money to do less. In most of the house we're going from off white or beige to a different off white. In one half bath we're going from a deep red to probably some kind of gray or blue. I could see the deep red needing 3 coats, but not sure about the other areas. Think it is worth asking if there would be a cost savings for doing 2 coats without primer?

Also, what are your thought on matte vs eggshell? These guys say they like the look of matte because it hides imperfections better. I always went eggshell when I painted my previous house because someone once told me it was less likely to stain.

And you'll def have to come over and have a drink sometime and check out the house. Hit me up next time you're on this side of the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Seems odd to me to pay somebody to paint the inside of your house. I know it’s a thing, but I’m a chronic DIY’er with a long family pedigree of beating ourselves into the mud doing jobs we should really just hire out. For satisfaction or something. Honestly I’m halfway into a 10 day renovation sprint on my old house so we can sell it and I forget any of the reasons why I think it’s a good idea.

But seriously, I never know what color I want every room painted all at once. We just go room to room as it suits us and never have a big enough interior paint job that feels like it rises to the level of professionals.

Yours will probably look a lot nicer than mine, though.
    The entire house needs to be painted because the previous owner thought it would be helpful to paint every pin prick from artwork that had been hanging on the walls before closing. I wouldn't have cared about the pin pricks to begin with...

She painted 3 or 4 different shades on every wall after trying to patch the pin pricks with drywall mud (WTF- the holes weren't that big to begin with?) and none of it matches the paint that was already there and the drywall mud she put up didn't get sanded down so it the interior paint just looks generally terrible. She allegedly went to the hardware store multiple times trying to match paint.

Anyway, this issue persists on every wall of the house and I'm not interested in taking on a job that big. My previous house always had a backlog of projects as I painted room to room when I had time. I'd rather just have some pros get it all done at once and enjoy the house.

bathroom remodel is almost done, just need to hang mirrors and shower rod and towel rack

nothing fancy but it is clean and functional and for under $5k, WORLDS better than what was there previously

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Nice work! Mirrors suck, put up a ski picture instead, ha.

Looks awesome!

Clean and functional and the price was right. Nice work TG

We've been batting around some in-law apartment ideas, including this one.

I have a skinny piece of my property that is basically unused except for a shed. Due to various setback and utility easements, the buildable width is 10', but it's probably like 70' long. Is there any reasonable floorplan to fit a long single level "skinny ADU"? I'm thinking bedroom at one end, kitchen/living space in the middle, bathroom at one end, entry in the middle into the kitchen/living space. By the time you build walls and eave overhangs it's 8' max interior width, which just doesn't seem like enough.

Thoughts?

What’s your timeline?

In portland, you can build a garage in the setback if you maintain a 10’ top plate & max 400sf
    Wait a few years (can’t remember if it’s 2 or 5…check with the city), then convert to ADU

10’ is pretty mean living, call it less than 9’ of actual clear space inside

The real answer is “No, 10’ is silly, just park an RV there and be done”

If you get a fancy RV with slideouts the living space will be much more than 8'.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Look up shotgun house for floor plan ideas.
    Another option would be enter on one end into living/kitchen, bathroom with a passage way on one side in the middle, bedroom at the other end. You might need separate separate entries into the toiltet/vanty area and a shower to allow room for a passage alongside them. It certainly should be doable, given the length you have. I wouldn't want the bedroom and bathroom at opposite ends.
    Whatever you do, if this is a rental and not for an actual MIL, defintely have separate meters for all utilities. Ask me how I know.
    If you live in a place where housing is in as much demand as I do you will have no trouble renting it, no matter how weird the floor plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

Keep your shed
    Add a lean-to
    Buy an airstream
    String lights and profit

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    What’s your timeline?

In portland, you can build a garage in the setback if you maintain a 10’ top plate & max 400sf
    Wait a few years (can’t remember if it’s 2 or 5…check with the city), then convert to ADU

10’ is pretty mean living, call it less than 9’ of actual clear space inside

This seems like spot on advice if you have the timeline.
    Live Free or Die

What do you guess the width is on these based on door size? 9 feet? They look so strange in person.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	424261

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^
    Assuming those are 36" wide doors, I'd say that place is 12' wide, maximum.

It would take some getting used to, living there.

Most jurisdictions aren't going to let you rent out a trailer on the property. Do the eave overhands count in the setbacks. If you were building that here you would be allowed to put decks, open stairs, eaves 3 feet into the setbacks.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...ource=txtshare

Used to live in this neighborhood. Seems about as skinny as you could get.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Thanks for the input. That's an interesting floor plan jme2. I think we would probably do a lofted shed roof to try to get a similar feel.

I've pondered the RV thing, but that still means running power, water and sewer. Certainly cheaper than building an ADU, but unless it comes with slideouts it will be the same width as the ADU I could build? It would never move, so I suppose I could have someone deliver it.

The timeline used to be longer, maybe several years, but it seems to be accelerating with some mobility issues cropping up sooner than anticipated. One of the ideas was that we could rent it to help offset costs before they moved, or I could use it as an office space.

:: :: - I'm not in Portland. Is that a special thing you can get away with in Portland only or is that metro wide?

We haven't even thought in detail about cost. I've always had ~100,000 in my brain, but suspect the actual cost estimate is going to be eye popping considering the utility work and that it will just be easier to move to a new place with an in-law set up constructed already or rent them their own place (of course they are opposed to any sort of multi-unit situation).