Page 192 of 385 FirstFirst ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 9618
    could you just photoshop a guard rail ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What about stacking the porch full of shit like old kitchen appliances and plastic playhouses so nobody can stand on it?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    could you just photoshop a guard rail ?
    The thought has occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    you have a 30' porch without a rail and want to keep it that way "as this isn't permenant"??

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is it at all acceptable to you to have that big a drop from the porch without a railing?

I think some pics are needed here..
    No, I have a 56 foot deck where some of it is more then 30 inches above ground and this technically needs a railing. But for 5 years my non code compliant deck has not been an issue, nor was it for 30 years before.

It is not permanent because I plan to reconfigure the deck next spring, including a proper railing. So it needs to be cheap and look like a railing.

How much over 30"? Just pile up some dirt so it's not more than 30" and tell the bank to get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    He wrote 30 inches. And usually it's a drunk brother in law going over the side so WGAF.
    My bad, I was imagining a very different situation. Fuck a requirement for a railing on a 30" deck.

How much over 30"? Just pile up some dirt so it's not more than 30" and tell the bank to get bent.
    +1

My bad, I was imagining a very different situation. Fuck a requirement for a railing on a 30" deck.
    I had a railing requirement to get my CO...as soon as it was signed off I took them down..I think the inspector was still in the driveway when I started.

You said, "Code". That is juristiticational but unlikely what ever office monkey your are dealing with knows that. It is probably something like:

36" minimum height
    4" maximum gap (simplified)
    200lb. concentrated load
    50lbs. sq. ft. infill load

And yes it acutally does have to do with insurance but whatevs. If you posted a picture I could design it better but facia mount 4x4 posts with log hogs, hog wire in the field, 2x4 top & bottom rail mounted on the inside, 2x6 top cap.

For the quick and easy 2x railing you can upgrade from chicken wire to hog wire for a bit nicer of a look. Tons of info online for hog wire railings.

Id run something like this but with regular cheap barbed wire...
    Name:  deck-railing.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  8.3 KB
    I might even forego the top rail...
    Safety third.

On a different topic we've been using our new kitchen w new plumbing for roughly 3 months. Last night the sink drain stops draining. It goes from being perfect, w no sign of impending doom like a normal clog, to not going drain another drop. Run to get Draino, put the 80oz down the drain, wait over night and not a drop of water has left the sink by morning.

Call around, get a plumber at emergency services rate of $200/hr, and he looks around tracing the full drain pipe. He asks me for channel locks and goes to one of the clean outs and comes back out of the crawl space with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	383764

It's a device used by the plumber to pressure test w air for by inflating the black rubber bulb to block pipes. It's threaded so it screws into a clean out. Note the brass air valve to inflate bulb. After a few months the deflated bulb managed to finally get gunked up enough to cause a complete blockage. It was more of an inconvenience than anything and the plumber was here less than a 1/2 hour so not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    He asks me for channel locks
    Did dude not bring his own tools, or are you just playing bitch and fetching them for him? If yours you should charge a rental fee and take it off the bill.

I dunno, is that typical?

If I hired someone to do a job and they asked me for tools (either mine or theirs) I would very quickly be looking for someone else.

Slopes from less then 30" to 8' where the walkout basement is, but arguably that end is OK as there are large garden boxes.

This deck/porch was a functional disaster when I bought, it's the last thing to get renovation, and it involves moving the overhead electrical. This summer was not the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Throw up a 2x4 framework 42" high to meet code with some chickenwire instead of balusters, redneck cable rail.
    My first instinct and after adding a few numbers this is both the cheapest and fastest option.

$180 for some 2x4, 14 gauge fence, couple boxes of hardware and some Simpson brackets tonight. Depending on how many long 4x4 I have left in the salvage pile I might need to spend a few more bucks, but I'll have a code compliant redneck railing by lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Did dude not bring his own tools, or are you just playing bitch and fetching them for him? If yours you should charge a rental fee and take it off the bill.

I dunno, is that typical?

If I hired someone to do a job and they asked me for tools (either mine or theirs) I would very quickly be looking for someone else.

No he had tools in the truck and yeah at $200/hr I don't want to see him walking back and forth to his truck so yeah I was playing the bitch - I know who has the skills and who doesn't. My tools were steps away from the crawl space entry. It's not a problem, I would have made him coffee if he wanted it. Another mechanic was going to be a Monday arrival which is opening day of archery season.

I asked him about taking the tool rental off the bill, he laughed and said he was going to ask. It's all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    On a different topic we've been using our new kitchen w new plumbing for roughly 3 months. Last night the sink drain stops draining. It goes from being perfect, w no sign of impending doom like a normal clog, to not going drain another drop. Run to get Draino, put the 80oz down the drain, wait over night and not a drop of water has left the sink by morning.

Call around, get a plumber at emergency services rate of $200/hr, and he looks around tracing the full drain pipe. He asks me for channel locks and goes to one of the clean outs and comes back out of the crawl space with this:

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	383764

It's a device used by the plumber to pressure test w air for by inflating the black rubber bulb to block pipes. It's threaded so it screws into a clean out. Note the brass air valve to inflate bulb. After a few months the deflated bulb managed to finally get gunked up enough to cause a complete blockage. It was more of an inconvenience than anything and the plumber was here less than a 1/2 hour so not too expensive.
    Can we talk about Draino… what is the point? This is a prime example. If you have a clogged waste line… something is physically causing the clog and Draino is not going to fix the problem…..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Is water supposed to be this color? When I arrived water was clear, couldn’t detect any silt. I went and changed the filter anyway, went from a 50 micron to a 5 micron. When I turned the water back on, this came out. this is the faucet in the laundry room, closest to the filter. Was this up stream from the filter? Water seems decently clear again after running for a bit.

Name:	IMG_1254.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	383791

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is water supposed to be this color? When I arrived water was clear, couldn’t detect any silt. I went and changed the filter anyway, went from a 50 micron to a 5 micron. When I turned the water back on, this came out. this is the faucet in the laundry room, closest to the filter. Was this up stream from the filter? Water seems decently clear again after running for a bit.

No. The water shouldn’t be that color.

Friend of ours has a massive indoor/outdoor Halloween party every year with serious amounts of alcohol and a 4 foot above grade concrete back porch with no railing of any kind. And to my knowledge no one has ever fallen off said porch, which I know is hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    No. The water shouldn’t be that color.

Fucking pussies. When I was a kid we drank water with a fork and we liked it

Seriously I’m guessing that the old filter was so clogged you had sediment in the pipes. The new low micron filter would have trapped that. So it’s post filter sediment.

Good on ya to flush it out of the nearest faucet. Might want to pull the screen off that one and rinse it.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fucking pussies. When I was a kid we drank water with a fork and we liked it

Seriously I’m guessing that the old filter was so clogged you had sediment in the pipes. The new low micron filter would have trapped that. So it’s post filter sediment.

Good on ya to flush it out of the nearest faucet. Might want to pull the screen off that one and rinse it.
    huh, I haven't thought of faucet screens in forever. I remember stealing them all when I was like 13/14 to put in those cheap ass multi-piece metal pipes for dirt weed. They fit perfectly.

Good times.

Huge shout out to SFB for loaning me all his tiling shit

We started with the biggest tiling project we have, didn't quite finish today but made good progress.

My knees and back fucking hurt

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Huge shout out to SFB for loaning me all his tiling shit

We started with the biggest tiling project we have, didn't quite finish today but made good progress.

My knees and back fucking hurt

I did a bathroom in our house with that exact tile about 6 months ago. That hex tile is no joke. Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    I did a bathroom in our house with that exact tile about 6 months ago. That hex tile is no joke. Looks good.
    Thanks! It was relatively cheap and this is our "practice room". It's not highly visible or trafficked and it made sense to cut our teeth here. Generally not terrible to work with but we keep telling ourselves that the rest of our projects will only be easier and faster

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    looks good i like dirt hiding tiles
    i got the old man moved this weekend
    ill try n make it up to check it out next
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno