Page 168 of 385 FirstFirst ... 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 9618
    Thanks. Yeah I have no idea how that passes fire code.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    i just had a large porch built off the back of my house so we have outdoor space in rainy Seattle. Its about 420sf of covered area. to make it comfortable year round the plan was always to hang heaters from the ceiling like you have at restaurant decks. We do not have a gas connection out there so it will have to be electric (i dont like the propane tower heaters). Any recommendations on electric heaters or infrared heaters that we can hang from the ceiling or mount on the wall? Lots of options out there....
    I have wired up a bunch of quartz infrared heaters. Very often a 20A 240v circuit will suffice, but we often run 30A circuits for future upgrades. They work well over exterior seating areas and tables. Labor wise, running conduit for electric heaters is cheaper than running black rigid gas line

We picked the hottest weekend in the history of Portland to start our backyard landscaping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5237.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	377933

What we started with this morning. Already ripped out the small deck where you see bare dirt.

Name:	IMG_5273.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	377934

After. Going to be a sort of fence/retaining wall/planter box thing along the back there.

Name:	IMG_5272.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	377935

It’s really freaking hot already and just getting worse.

For those looking to reduce heat load on your home there are window films available. One good film supplier is Huper Optik. I had one picture window in our kitchen done last week by Boise Window Tint(highly recommended). The window faces west so the afternoon sun blazing through made dinner prep and cooking uncomfortable. It's probably not the complete answer in our situation but is a very good start. If you're AC struggles to keep up or you're just looking to reduce the electric bill these films can help you do that and you can still enjoy the view.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    For those looking to reduce heat load on your home there are window films available. One good film supplier is Huper Optik. I had one picture window in our kitchen done last week by Boise Window Tint(highly recommended). The window faces west so the afternoon sun blazing through made dinner prep and cooking uncomfortable. It's probably not the complete answer in our situation but is a very good start. If you're AC struggles to keep up or you're just looking to reduce the electric bill these films can help you do that and you can still enjoy the view.
    You can also DIY these films if you're patient and meticulous, and they are available in various levels of tint and solar reflection. I did a couple of east facing windows a couple of years ago and it makes a nice difference in the mornings.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    You can also DIY these films if you're patient and meticulous, and they are available in various levels of tint and solar reflection. I did a couple of east facing windows a couple of years ago and it makes a nice difference in the mornings.
    CE do you have any advice on tint or products? I've got a few windows that could benefit from this.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    if you're patient and meticulous
    This part cannot be overstated.

It's also really easy to scratch.

When we bought our house there was tinted film on some south-facing upper windows but after at least 30 years and maybe closer to 45 it's fogged and impossible to clean. I don't know how much difference it makes since we bought the house that way. Probably not much since we extended the roof overhang. I keep telling myself we should replace all that south facing single pane glass with dual pane low-e glass, maybe it'll happen.

For those looking to reduce heat load on your home there are window films available. One good film supplier is Huper Optik.
    I put Huper Optik nanoceramic tint in my last car and that shit works great. I did the windshield with their clear nanoceramic tint (i.e. no tint) but it mde a hudge difference in heat gain. I'm definitely a fan of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I put Huper Optik nanoceramic tint in my last car and that shit works great. I did the windshield with their clear nanoceramic tint (i.e. no tint) but it mde a hudge difference in heat gain. I'm definitely a fan of their products.
    Is that a film or a coating?

I was going to put a tint film on some windows that are hard to reach for blinds....but then I read someplace that they do not recommend putting new film on windows that are more than 10yrs old. Says the heat absorption can cause the window to crack.

Any truth to that or an old wives tale? Has someone done this to some older windows? Mine are 30yrs old I would guess.

Regarding heat load, anyone have experience with external window shades? We have a bunch of large windows in our great room that heat it up significantly. Seems like exterior motor driven window shades that can be programmed are the perfect solution. Right now we put down 5 manual shades that only cover the main window but not the upper part. Recommend sources?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Exterior motorized shades are spendy
    But pretty good for your home esp if you are not in a high wind location
    Try looking at Hunter Douglas online

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    I was going to put a tint film on some windows that are hard to reach for blinds....but then I read someplace that they do not recommend putting new film on windows that are more than 10yrs old. Says the heat absorption can cause the window to crack.

Any truth to that or an old wives tale? Has someone done this to some older windows? Mine are 30yrs old I would guess.

My installer was drooling when he saw the west facing LR windows, he was trying hard to sell me on doing those as well. They are 30 years old. He is the type of person that wouldn't risk your windows to make a few bucks. I don't think the film absorbs or retains heat so I'm guessing it's a wives tale.

The film application probably voided the warranty on this new picture window, but it had already survived months of heat and cold so I thought it had a defect it would have shown it self by now, if present.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    film

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    CE do you have any advice on tint or products? I've got a few windows that could benefit from this.
    I really don't--we just grabbed one off of the shelf. It's basically a one-way mirror, and we like it. It works just as well as the factory coating that is optional when ordering nicer windows, but as Ted notes installation can be a real test of patience.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Film. On the inside.

edit: Just saw Hopeless Sinner already answered, I shoulda kept reading before replying.

Thanks to both of you. So that means a regular car tint shop can install it. Definitely going to do it on my wife's next car.

Fred, I was by a rental today and about 12" off the ground the stucco had a horizontal crack (about .25" wide) running the length of that side wall. Post and pier construction from the late 30's. My guess is I need parts of the house jacked up and leveled with new piers. What service do I Google to get bids? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thanks to both of you. So that means a regular car tint shop can install it. Definitely going to do it on my wife's next car.
    Yeah. I had to scout around a little to find one that carried it but it goes on just like regular tint. I hung out and waited, they got it all done in a couple of hours. Clear on the windshield and 35% (not very dark at all) the rest of the way around. Very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Fred, I was by a rental today and about 12" off the ground the stucco had a horizontal crack (about .25" wide) running the length of that side wall. Post and pier construction from the late 30's. My guess is I need parts of the house jacked up and leveled with new piers. What service do I Google to get bids? Thanks
    RamJack supposedly has a good rep in the PNW.

Looked at a house earlier this year that had a foundation retrofit installed by them and was impressed with their approach.

Thanks O. N., I contacted them and 2 other firms for their opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My installer was drooling when he saw the west facing LR windows, he was trying hard to sell me on doing those as well. They are 30 years old. He is the type of person that wouldn't risk your windows to make a few bucks. I don't think the film absorbs or retains heat so I'm guessing it's a wives tale.

The film application probably voided the warranty on this new picture window, but it had already survived months of heat and cold so I thought it had a defect it would have shown it self by now, if present.
    Thanks...were those solar films?

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Thanks...were those solar films?
    Yes. The only caution was installing the film on the outside since the window is Low E; the films don't give the same performance mounted on inside of Low E.

There are MANY options to choose from and a little competent advice goes a long way towards getting the most out of it. In a home one may select a different product depending on the aspect of the windows. At first I choose one(cool-vu) that acted like transition lenses, but my installer let me that the number of transitions was limited so reapplication was eventually going to be required. He suggested another product in it's place.

The one below is 10-12% more efficient the Huper Ceramic. If I do any more windows it will be the Huper Optik.

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	378872

10%? That's nothing. I'd recommend doing it Vegas Style if you want to cool down right.

Name:	2880px-Trump_International_Hotel_Las_Vegas.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	378885