Page 230 of 385 FirstFirst ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... LastLast
Results 5,726 to 5,750 of 9611
    How much does one of these energy audits cost?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Ballpark 500 for comprehensive audit

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    Ballpark 500 for comprehensive audit
    My state doesn’t anymore, but some states or utilities will pay part of the cost to get one. Instead they just seem to incentivize getting certain big gain items done (attic, floor and wall insulation; energy efficient H2O heater and forced air, etc).

I personally don’t see the value until you get some basic stuff done and that $500 can go a long way. Air sealing obvious stuff, upgrade attic insulation, etc. You don’t need a professional to tell you your door seals are leaky, your attic insulation should be upgraded, get a programmable thermostat and to swap to LED lights.

I think that the return on investment to weatherize much beyond obvious stuff except for the comfort factor isn’t obvious or large. I have other reasons for tackling the project I have going on.

Looking at buying a mid century house here in Seattle that has a big living room with a low ceiling. What is the right ballpark cost to change the low peak roof to a single shed pitch over half the house ~800sqft and vault the ceiling to the new pitch to open it up and add a wall of windows? Rafter and beam attic and current pitch is probably on the order of 5 to 1 (pretty flat). Can I get this done including big ass windows and interior finish work for 150k? Keep in mind Seattle is stupid for everything house related right now.

No

Some environmentalists philanthropist paid for all the audits in the RFV.

My house was pretty good, with the front door being the biggest loss.
    Also suggested a side arm water heater on my Lockinvar boiler.

Here's one:

Sewer keeps backing up, its roots, reliably every 8 to 10 months. Anyone re-lined their pipes? Dig it all up and install PVC?

Sewer lateral runs underneath a tree, digging it up would suck, but wouldn't be the end of the world. Of course don't want to pay for any of it.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Here's one:

Sewer keeps backing up, its roots, reliably every 8 to 10 months. Anyone re-lined their pipes? Dig it all up and install PVC?

Sewer lateral runs underneath a tree, digging it up would suck, but wouldn't be the end of the world. Of course don't want to pay for any of it.
    You need to have good access to both ends of the section you are lining, with no laterals tying in between.

They push/pull a felt sock through the pipe. Then inflate / cure it with steam. Then cut the closed ends. If you have a lateral in that run it will be blocked.

If the pipe if big enough they can send a robot down to cut the lateral, but it’s likely not that big and you might not have robot money…

So if it’s a simple line, go for it. If it’s more complicated, rip and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Here's one:

Have you tried foaming? $20 a couple times a year might be better than 2k for a new line. I manage a thousand miles of sewer pipe. We use a lot of foam.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    In Sacramento and Truckee the PUD's do them for free. In Truckee we got a bunch of free LED bulbs too.

Here's one:

We looked into it after years of calling roto-rooter every year--finally the shit was pouring out of the lawn onto our neighbor's driveway. When the neighborhood was built in the 1930's they planted trees directly over the sewer lines. I think we were the last on the block to replace ours. I don't remember the reasons but relining seemed to be a bad idea. Cost us 5K to replace the line, mostly hand dug, with trenchless to get under the tree. This was 3 years ago.

Want to run one by you guy, please.. this tub appears to be resurfaced and my wife’s necklace has created this peel problem. What do you suggest?
    In my research most options aim towards fixing chipped porcelain. My coating appears to be a paint type job. It was refreshed prior to us buying the home so I’m in the dark some. — should I just grab bright white spray paint and prep the blemish? TIA Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8402.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	391905

Honestly, you should either think about getting a new tub on having professional refinishing done. That looks like the DIY kit and it is performing as expected. I've had really good luck with pro refinishing but I haven't seen the 10 year performance (tail light warranty from me).

Look up “re-glazing tub” in your area

The rest of the tub looks new, not a single run or imperfection. If it’s a DIY I’d like to congratulate them with some beers. On the other hand not sure I want to go big and pay someone several hundred to fix it or destroy my tile surround and buy a new over this. Maybe I have fewer options than I had hoped

I mean it depends on what the goal is. There are touch up kits https://www.amazon.com/Ekopel-Touch-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you are cool with limping it along, go for it.

That’s a good suggestion for the situation. We’re reconfiguring the floor plan over the next few years and adding on. This tub will be removed.
    Looking for a good band-aid product

Why is your wife in the tub with a necklace on?

Somebody had to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

Somebody had to ask.
    Maybe it’s a “pearl necklace”

Somebody had to ask.
    And why is it scraping off the paint?

Just as long as it doesn't end up in my bed again. Whoo boy that was hard to explain away.

Somebody had to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    And why is it scraping off the paint?

We're gonna need some pics of the wife in the tub to figure this one out...

At the very least a detailed diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Have you tried foaming? $20 a couple times a year might be better than 2k for a new line. I manage a thousand miles of sewer pipe. We use a lot of foam.
    What kind of foam are you using?

Issue with that is it's a rental property, and the tenants are most likely too stupid to do this. Maintenance could do it, but then may as well just fix the issue.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

We had this problem in the house I grew up in, original Terra Cotta drain line ran under a huge elm tree and would clog with roots and back up once a year. It was a big yard and a pita to snake it all the way from the house. The plumber offered two options, replacement of drain line for $$$$$ up front and no more backup, or install a clean out out in the yard for easier and cheaper roto rooter access.

Penciled out, adding the cleanout was cheaper looking forward.

What kind of foam are you using?

Issue with that is it's a rental property, and the tenants are most likely too stupid to do this. Maintenance could do it, but then may as well just fix the issue.
    Oh look, another judgemental, avaricious, piece-of-shit has entered the room. I guess in some circles they're called landlords, but I call them scum of the earth, in polite company.

[QUOTE=glademaster;6452146]Oh look, another judgemental, avaricious, piece-of-shit has entered the room. I guess in some circles they're called landlords, but I call them scum of the earth, in polite company.[/QUOTE
    Did your parents offer up young glademaster's ass in exchange for back rent to your pedophile landlord ?