Page 121 of 384 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 9587
    Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    thanks DJ. all makes sense. my thought to create space for grout was to find/fashion a rubber block, drill a center hole for 1/2" pvc, insert pipe with a threaded collar to hold it in, and punch that assembly to, what, 4" below floor? then fill the hole with cement (maybe reinforce to walls somehow) and after cure cap the pvc. then come back in the summer to plug the pvc and trim flush with the floor

here's the block i envision using:
    https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Vibrat...dp/B01N4GS6OK/
    Come on, do it right[and easy]

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

this is more repair than remodel...

seeking advice on plugging a hole in my basement.

my basement flooded. the water table is very high here and and sump pumps are the norm. unfortunately, mine was unplugged. oops. 2' of standing water the other day. water heater fried.

installed a new pump and sucked the water out in 30-40 minutes. then i poked around looking for a source and found at least one (see video link).

it's a 2"x2" hole. how can i plug it while water is pouring out? hammer in a cut-to-order rubber plug and cover it with something heavy?

https://youtu.be/DkOn5YI3bPE

in summer it's much drier so i can fix it properly then. but in the meantime?

*if there's a better thread for repair Qs pls say so.
    In the Navy they pound wooden dowels and wedges into holes until they stop leaking or are controllable. Something to think about if it is only temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Thanks for the replies on the wine shelf. Wife dismissed the wood trim piece not for functionality but just look. Wants some contrast with metal. So I’m either going with rods/cables or these things, which were a great idea:

Attachment 359307

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You could go semi industrial and run a wire end to end through each level, similar to a wire stair railing. No need for the right angle drill then.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    You could go semi industrial and run a wire end to end through each level, similar to a wire stair railing. No need for the right angle drill then.

That was proposed earlier and is a great idea as well. That's on the list as one of the top possibilities.

Lazy and easy way: velcro stuck on each shelf. Velcro on each wine bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

What is your wind budget to fill those cases at room temp ?

These would work: https://smile.amazon.com/LIUHE-Wall-...%2C186&sr=8-50

$10 for 3 of them

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    In the Navy they pound wooden dowels and wedges into holes until they stop leaking or are controllable. Something to think about if it is only temporary.
    i did/still am considering this concept. was thinking I'd have to cut out some concrete to make it a round hole, but hadn't thought of the wedge. simple, elegant, and depending on the material used. may work great for a few months. go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

$10 for 3 of them
    That’s interesting. Cool idea.

i did/still am considering this concept. was thinking I'd have to cut out some concrete to make it a round hole, but hadn't thought of the wedge. simple, elegant, and depending on the material used. may work great for a few months. go Navy!
    I have friends in the marine salvage business. I have seen them bring in boats patched with wedges and splash zone. splash zone is some amazing stuff. that is a lot of water with pressure have no idea if it would work here. But could slow it down till a real fix like was suggested. good luck be interested in seeing what works.
    off your knees Louie

this is more repair than remodel...

seeking advice on plugging a hole in my basement.

my basement flooded. the water table is very high here and and sump pumps are the norm. unfortunately, mine was unplugged. oops. 2' of standing water the other day. water heater fried.

installed a new pump and sucked the water out in 30-40 minutes. then i poked around looking for a source and found at least one (see video link).

it's a 2"x2" hole. how can i plug it while water is pouring out? hammer in a cut-to-order rubber plug and cover it with something heavy?

https://youtu.be/DkOn5YI3bPE

in summer it's much drier so i can fix it properly then. but in the meantime?

*if there's a better thread for repair Qs pls say so.
    I’m no contractor nor architect but isnt the proper fix to keep that water away from the outside of the foundation? Is any residential foundation going to keep that kind of pressure out for years?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m no contractor nor architect but isnt the proper fix to keep that water away from the outside of the foundation? Is any residential foundation going to keep that kind of pressure out for years?
    the town is basically a swamp and basements sit in water, so even an engineered solution like this may not get the job done. doesn't mean it's not a longer-term consideration, depending on cost.

with 3ft thick foundation walls I'm not worrying about new holes developing. this is a man-made hole that's been ignored by the previous owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

$10 for 3 of them
    At some point it may be cheaper to buy a proper wine rack. Now those CD shelves would be perfect for your wife's shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    This will be a shelf of Drinkers so none of them will last very long. That will especially accelerate after COVID when small gatherings will take out a row.
    Haha. For some reason I had empties on the brain.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

the town is basically a swamp and basements sit in water, so even an engineered solution like this may not get the job done. doesn't mean it's not a longer-term consideration, depending on cost.

with 3ft thick foundation walls I'm not worrying about new holes developing. this is a man-made hole that's been ignored by the previous owner.
    No personal experience but they make hydraulic cement that's supposed to work for active leaks. I'd guess it depends on the size of the hole and the flow of water as to how well it works.

You could glue 2 hotwheels in every wine cubby, one forward for the base, and one taller farther in for the neck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB37C46E-A4B7-4840-8DCD-48E1B525C6B8.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	461.3 KB 
ID:	359457

Okay, so I have this ridiculous noob question that I hope is not below the level of this thread. I have a ~50yr old house on a small lot. I want to add on an attached 2 story garage/shop/home office, and add a large covered front porch/front entryway which would require an additional roofline.

Where does one start with a project like this, a GC? Architect? Arson/insurance? I'm not interested in doing much or any of the legwork on this, want to hire it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Okay, so I have this ridiculous noob question that I hope is not below the level of this thread. I have a ~50yr old house on a small lot. I want to add on an attached 2 story garage/shop/home office, and add a large covered front porch/front entryway which would require an additional roofline.

Where does one start with a project like this, a GC? Architect? Arson/insurance? I'm not interested in doing much or any of the legwork on this, want to hire it all out.
    If you can find a reputable, highly recommended design build firm in your locale that is the most hands off approach to getting something like this done. They will cover you from (as we like to say in the design build world) cradle to grave on your project.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    No personal experience but they make hydraulic cement that's supposed to work for active leaks. I'd guess it depends on the size of the hole and the flow of water as to how well it works.
    this ^^ but IME that can still leak if you get really cold weather with freeze/thaw shifting, I tried a cement patch from the outside on a 5' slab to above ground foundation crack in my basement but it leaked the next year

it was finally fixed with a compound buddy injected into the crack from the inside, it was water seeking like gorrila glue , went thru all the pores & crack in the cement and fixed it up 100%

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sik...kit/1000172324

It was something like this stuff^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At some point it may be cheaper to buy a proper wine rack. Now those CD shelves would be perfect for your wife's shoes.
    Or, a wine refrigerator and keep the wine at a proper temperature.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Or, a wine refrigerator and keep the wine at a proper temperature.
    Or in exchange for giving wife all that room for her shoes (in the kitchen no less), turn the thermostat down to 55.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    If you can find a reputable, highly recommended design build firm in your locale that is the most hands off approach to getting something like this done. They will cover you from (as we like to say in the design build world) cradle to grave on your project.
    Ah, of course that's a thing, thanks teleeee.

For the wine thing...

You could put some “top mount” drawer pulls on the front edge of the shelves, so they are pointed up and will stick up just far enough to keep a bottle from rolling off. Mortise them in so they’re flush with the face if you need a project to do while drinking all the wine.

https://www.build.com/berenson-1061-...74?uid=2997622

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

^^^ This is a good idea, otherwise I would just find some matching wood in half by half or something and glue it in, just so the bottles don’t roll out.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Where does one start with a project like this
    To add to what teleee said, you could start by visiting your city or county's planning/permit counter to see what you can do. eg. What are the setbacks? Will you need a variance? (due to the small lot) Are attached ADUs allowed? (might make more sense as an ADU rather than a simple addition) Ratio of pervious/impervious sq ft? Are you subject to watershed restrictions? etc, etc

They might have a "tool kit" that anticipates and answers most of the 'what do I' questions.