Page 223 of 380 FirstFirst ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I always suspected this
    Freddy got fingered.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't work for engineers or attorneys unless I know you. Their brains are not compatible with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    customers all say the same stupid things, if they nail 3 or 4 of the 12 dumb ass lines I'm out the door
    Feel free to share and save me some headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I don't work for engineers or attorneys unless I know you. Their brains are not compatible with mine.
    I dunno. Drawing a to scale picture probably is going to save someone a big headache down the road. Realistically you just need to do some simple addition and subtraction to get the answer. Since he is drawing “plans” anyways…

Has anyone bothered to ask “how deep are your cabinets and how deep is your DW” to answer the “is there enough space” question?

Anyways, you can reference the earlier posts in this thread about excellent plumbing work seen and realize you can just buy a 2 inch hole saw, some 1 1/2” pvc drain line a bunch of fittings and some glue and just cut through the exterior studs if/when it becomes an issue. Will totally meet code.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Feel free to share and save me some headaches.
    I was balls deep in a horror show project when the nightmare client fired the painting contractor. I was there for the meeting with the new painter and client when she looked at the painter and said, "I see things other people can't".

Painter didn't miss a beat, said sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you with this one, and left.
    Last edited by I Skied Bandini Mountain; 10-17-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Is it a bad idea to concrete in a hose bib that currently is surrounded by dirt?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Is it a bad idea to concrete in a hose bib that currently is surrounded by dirt?
    Not the greatest idea. Dirt and concrete may not move quite the same (at least around here, the clay swells and shrinks a lot). Either put some pipe insulation around it, or cut a pvc pipe in half lengthwise and tape it back together over the pipe before you pour the concrete. You want 1/2" of clear space around the pipe.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Thanks DJ. Just going to put boxes around the pipes/valves so easily accessible. So here we go...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211019_105539 (002).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	389555
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    Long story, but how dangerous is this??

Any ideas to mediate

Attachment 389118
    Fine.

If that caught fire so would every bed headboard. And every blanket that fell on top of the heater.
    . . .

Any ideas on the best way to cover this big ass hole on the side of my house? I’m guessing it’s a cold air return, but am no hvac guy. The previous owner had some janky ass indoor vent up there and about a lb of caulking. I’d like to get something a little better before winter.

Name:	IMG_6843.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	389602

That's some top grade hackery right there.

just got a bid for $40k to turn a (very large) basement window into a walkout door. any thoughts here? i've had such a hard time getting bids (which after reading this thread I totally understand why that is) - can i get a temperature check on that? ie - "40k, that's the steal of a lifetime!" or - "run away, that's insane"

job would involve ~6-8 concrete steps, a little bit of excavation (the window well is already super oversized), a landing area with sump pump, cutting the window bigger, and putting a door in there

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Seems a bit high. For comparison, I received a quote to convert two basement windows into legal egress windows. That included enlarging the window wells, enlarging the window openings and a bunch of “extras”. Here’s the actual quote email:

I upgraded the well to Stone stacked design and window 31x41 single hung $280 each system $560 Total .

We are installing two units described above, building build out walls to attach window wells flush with house.

Includes metal grate, poly carbon cover, metal matching ladder, 25 gallon drywell,

Finishing inside and out, removing all cement and dirt,

This will be a one day no mess installation.

I made the agreement for $13900 w/ all the extra stuff
    Edit: this is from an egress-specific company.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Any ideas on the best way to cover this big ass hole on the side of my house? I’m guessing it’s a cold air return, but am no hvac guy. The previous owner had some janky ass indoor vent up there and about a lb of caulking. I’d like to get something a little better before winter.

Name:	IMG_6843.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	389602
    Big ass arborvitae.

I think I’d have stuck with a vent. First insulated behind and then blocked with something solid (such as super thin plywood). Then the vent painted in the same color as the siding. Won’t look nice but it will be clean and give the appearance of being necessary.

Or clean the hole Back to the nearest studs, nail in a piece of exterior plywood or sheathing that is a similar depth as the siding and stucco then paint. Then get tired of the painted patch sticking out like a sore thumb and paint the whole side of the house.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    just got a bid for $40k to turn a (very large) basement window into a walkout door. any thoughts here? i've had such a hard time getting bids (which after reading this thread I totally understand why that is) - can i get a temperature check on that? ie - "40k, that's the steal of a lifetime!" or - "run away, that's insane"

job would involve ~6-8 concrete steps, a little bit of excavation (the window well is already super oversized), a landing area with sump pump, cutting the window bigger, and putting a door in there
    I don't know much, but when you say cut the window bigger, do you mean width or height? I think that may matter.

I'm not a contractor, but wholly shit that seems high. My point of reference is very distant, but putting in an egress window along with the well cost me less than $4000 about ten years ago. These guys bang this stuff out in a hurry. I dont know how much time the sump pump and concrete stairs add, but they will have the opening cut and everything excavated in half a day.

Maybe it's the going rate in this crazy environment, but it sounds at least 20K high...for upstate, NY.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    I'm not a contractor, but wholly shit that seems high. My point of reference is very distant, but putting in an egress window along with the well cost me less than $4000 about ten years ago. These guys bang this stuff out in a hurry. I dont know how much time the sump pump and concrete stairs add, but they will have the opening cut and everything excavated in half a day.

Maybe it's the going rate in this crazy environment, but it sounds at least 20K high...for upstate, NY.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    thanks, that was kinda my sense. i was expecting this bid to come in between $15k and $25k, so $40k seemed high

thanks, that was kinda my sense. i was expecting this bid to come in between $15k and $25k, so $40k seemed high
    They don't want to do your job because they are most likely super busy. Contractors are doing this all the time here. Sending out high bids for jobs they don't really want. If they get the job, they just found some extra money for a boat. I was quoted $3,500 for labor to construct (foundations already poured) a 20'x8' deck off my house. No handrail included. It was ridiculous. I don't blame them (I do the same for jobs I don't want to design), but it's frustrating from a client standpoint.

dumb egress window + window well in existing foundation in my hood is +/-$5k
    a door will be double, min

+ engineering concerns, if any [beam for opening? tiedowns?]

$40k does sound high but not necessarily insane, but there may also be mitigating circumstances that are unstated here: access, unusual materials, accelerated timeline, local jurisdictional requirements, professional fees, etc

I think the biggest issue is that the contractor saw how uneven his basement floor is.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that the contractor saw how uneven his basement floor is.
    Truth, probably should mix 50 or so bags of self leveler in a garbage can and dump it on the basement floor to straighten that out first.

1. I’m thinking rent a mini-ex from Home Depot and try to tow it behind your Tacoma with 5’ bed. If you get home without causing an accident, blowing up your suspension, or popping a tire, excavate the existing window well. Try to rough in some stairs or maybe just a long ramp with the excavator.

2. Rent concrete saw and cut out doorway- rough cut is fine you can shim the hell out of it.

3. Mix a shitload of bags of concrete in a large garbage can and dump in the hole. Make sure it cascades down the stairs you roughed in to get a good coverage. Hope it’s close!

4. Big profit.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I don't know much, but when you say cut the window bigger, do you mean width or height? I think that may matter.

Yup, that will almost certainly matter. Cutting it wider is almost guaranteed to require a structural engineer. There's also the design/engineering of the concrete wall that is going to have to be formed and poured to create the other side of your staircase. And installing guardrails along the top of that. It needs to be permitted as well, whether you're cutting the opening wider or taller. Permits, and the hassle/time involved in applying for them aren't free either.

I work in a market where $40k is literally nothing, so I can't say if the bid is unreasonable or not. However, I can say that the job is significantly more involved than it seems in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    ha, well played. very well played.

it's only one fucking room, with two different slabs, and one of the slabs settled to a different depth.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    cut it height wise. it's already more than wide enough for a door.

i might take the collective's advice and just do this in the ole trash can. i'll get a masonry blade for my sawzall to cut the door bigger, should do the trick just fine. thanks guys.

pretty certain it all went wrong when you used line #6 "it's real easy you should be able to knock it out in a week or less" that just added 10k to the estimate