Page 273 of 380 FirstFirst ... 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,825 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    My comment wasn’t a knock. You’re preaching to the choir here… I work on the commercial side. The biggest risk to the industry is declining skilled trade. I’m two weeks behind on the erection of a $300m hospital tower because there are no more welders to be found in local 86. Average age of a plumber I see onsite must be late 40s / early 50s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You have an erection that’s lasted more than two weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    You have an erection that’s lasted more than two weeks?
    No, he's having trouble finishing the erection

The neighbor had a plumbing problem which flooded the house, the restoration company dropped a seacan at the curb to put all the furniture in so they can do the fix which on a house that old is probably a good thing

so what happened is a squirrel fucked up the plumbing which i have never heard of
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Squirrels are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Squirrels are evil.
    My dog agrees with you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

A squirrel is really just a rat with a good publicist

We had a squirrel living in our attic that took five weeks to get out. For some reason you can’t kill them in Portland, you have to live trap them so it turned into an epic game of chasing it around our house. Thing would literally stare at us. That fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    We had a squirrel living in our attic that took five weeks to get out. For some reason you can’t kill them in Portland, you have to live trap them
    weird time to start following the letter of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Squirrels are evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    My dog agrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A squirrel is really just a rat with a good publicist
    Yes

We had a squirrel living in our attic that took five weeks to get out. For some reason you can’t kill them in Portland, you have to live trap them so it turned into an epic game of chasing it around our house. Thing would literally stare at us. That fucker.
    My buddy didn't know that, he had one getting into his house every day -- it used to sit in his front window and watch him come home. After some unsuccessful attempts to catch it, he tried to poison it, which gave it blue diarrhea, but didn't kill it, so I guess he was within the letter of the law. I think eventually he used a live animal trap and relocated it.

When I was working in YNP, there was a squirrel that would run into the open door of our small office, steal a peanut from the open bag of peanuts we always had laying around, and take off out the door again.

One day it ran in the office, and I quickly closed the door behind it. In about 10 seconds after it realized it couldn't get out it went absolutely ape shit, running up and down walls, into windows, across the ceiling, leaping off desks into the air, just going fucking bananas. I let this go in for about 15 minutes before letting it out - it jumped off the stairs and was airborne for about 20 feet on the way out.

I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of numerous federal felonies but that fucker never came back.

I think that old house did not have a cement foundation so it was easy for the squirrel to get in

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    weird time to start following the letter of the law.
    Well we called our exterminator because we thought it might be rats (which they would have killed for free under their warranty), so we paid them to catch it. Only took them four trips out. Definitely worth the money to not have blue squirrel diarrhea all over the attic

All over our neighborhood there are people who feed the squirrels then wonder why we get coyotes who end up eating all the outside cats.

Once you live trap it, are you allowed to relocate it wherever you want? Like, say, the bottom of a river?

I've trapped 2 to so far this year. One year I got 7. My mission is no less than squirrel genocide on my property. I do not, uh, "relocate" them, unless you consider putting a screwdriver through the skull and then dumping the body in the trash a relocation.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I caught 7 over the winter that were living between my chimney and exterior wall. There’s discussion upthread. The high point was getting two in the same trap:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1655161353.473386.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	418811

The black one is packing, as per usual:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1655161389.897823.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	418812

I relocated them over by my boss’s house.
    focus.

That’s the spirit!

Not really a remodeling question but hopefully someone who knows machinery might know the answer. The 20 inch powermatic planer at the community shop went down 2 days ago--it went dead while being used and wouldn't restart. Breaker ok. The thermal overload is supposed to reset automatically but by yesterday it still wasn't working. So as one of the shop volunteers I tried to fix it. The planer has 2 switches--a simple 2 button on/off switch on the outside of the machine and a magnetic switch with overload protection inside the motor compartment. After trying some other stuff, and with the cord unplugged, I pressed the on button and the off button on the magnetic switch, not necessarily in that order. I didn't feel either button engage, not surprising with no power to the unit. But when I plugged the machine back in and tried the external switch it worked. I turned it on and off several times and it kept working.

2 questions--my best guess is that by pressing the buttons on the magnetic switch I mechanically jostled the parts enough to get the overload to reset. The unit has no manual reset button. Is there another explanation for why poking the magnetic switch with the power off would have fixed the problem?

Second question--why would the planer have 2 switches? The manual makes no mention of using the magnetic switch inside the motor compartment, either in the operating instructions or in the troubleshooting section under motor failing to start? I happened to come across a manual for a Jet 20 inch planer which looks to be almost identical to the Powermatic--probably comes from the same factory on Taiwan--and the only difference is that the Jet has the magnetic switch on the outside where the on/off switch on the Powermatic is located, and no switch in the motor compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I've trapped 2 to so far this year. One year I got 7. My mission is no less than squirrel genocide on my property. I do not, uh, "relocate" them, unless you consider putting a screwdriver through the skull and then dumping the body in the trash a relocation.
    Last fall I had one in my ceiling void so I embarked on a similar mission w traps around the house. I got 12 before the wall scratching ceased. No doubles tho! This year I’ve moved on to project woodpecker which may be even more challenging

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not really a remodeling question but hopefully someone who knows machinery might know the answer. The 20 inch powermatic planer at the community shop went down 2 days ago--it went dead while being used and wouldn't restart. Breaker ok. The thermal overload is supposed to reset automatically but by yesterday it still wasn't working. So as one of the shop volunteers I tried to fix it. The planer has 2 switches--a simple 2 button on/off switch on the outside of the machine and a magnetic switch with overload protection inside the motor compartment. After trying some other stuff, and with the cord unplugged, I pressed the on button and the off button on the magnetic switch, not necessarily in that order. I didn't feel either button engage, not surprising with no power to the unit. But when I plugged the machine back in and tried the external switch it worked. I turned it on and off several times and it kept working.

2 questions--my best guess is that by pressing the buttons on the magnetic switch I mechanically jostled the parts enough to get the overload to reset. The unit has no manual reset button. Is there another explanation for why poking the magnetic switch with the power off would have fixed the problem?

Second question--why would the planer have 2 switches? The manual makes no mention of using the magnetic switch inside the motor compartment, either in the operating instructions or in the troubleshooting section under motor failing to start? I happened to come across a manual for a Jet 20 inch planer which looks to be almost identical to the Powermatic--probably comes from the same factory on Taiwan--and the only difference is that the Jet has the magnetic switch on the outside where the on/off switch on the Powermatic is located, and no switch in the motor compartment.
    That magnetic switch sounds like it's a mechanical breaker and you might also have a self resetting thermal fuse as well. Just quessing without a wiring diagram.

Here's a link to the manual, if you're interested. https://content.powermatic.com/asset...296_man_EN.pdf
    Wiring diagram is page 35. I couldn't figure out how to copy and post just the one page.

The on-off switch just controls the mag starter. The starter has electrical contacts big enough to control the power to the motor. The overload is supposed to shut down the starter if too much current is used. In the auto position it should reset itself after a minute or so. Sometimes things get old and need a little extra encouragement.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Here's a link to the manual, if you're interested. https://content.powermatic.com/asset...296_man_EN.pdf
    Wiring diagram is page 35. I couldn't figure out how to copy and post just the one page.
    if you look at page 33, part#16 lists overload switch/mag switch. Sounds like you reset that. If it continue to have starting issues it might be worth a few dollars to throw in a new start capacitor as well, they're usually cheap.

Has anyone put in a hot water recirculating system? My house has the hot water heater 60ft or 3/4” pipe away from any faucets and no way to move closer. Thinking a on demand push button system would be really nice to have. The hot water lines run along the basement ceiling which is currently open so it would be pretty easy to add a pex return line in.
    Good idea or bad idea? Any recommendations on components?

Quote Originally Posted by SailCat View Post
    The on-off switch just controls the mag starter. The starter has electrical contacts big enough to control the power to the motor. The overload is supposed to shut down the starter if too much current is used. In the auto position it should reset itself after a minute or so. Sometimes things get old and need a little extra encouragement.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
    I figured that but I don't get why they didn't just put the magnetic starter on the outside of the planer and eliminate the on/off switch. The magnetic starter has start and stop buttons of its own. Maybe just a design reason rather than a technical one. So I guess what I did was "encouragement". Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not surprised the planer overloaded. The amount of abuse the machines in this shop are subjected to is astounding. If someone breaks something someone else will pay to fix it or replace it. In the case of the planer the guy was probably running too wide of a board with too deep of a cut with cutters that someone else dulled by running a glue-up with big globs of hardened glue through it.