Page 179 of 380 FirstFirst ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'm planning on trying to do a floating stair using cables to support the treads on the room side with 1 stringer on the wall side, running 12/12.

That works for the N. wall, but the S. wall has a 78" wide window (actually a repurposed full relight wood door from salvage) in a wall 140" long. So I'll key it off the N. wall. Thanks.

It's in our backyard. We have 5+ wooded acres E of Redmond. The house satisfies the "pee off the porches w/o getting arrested" attribute. See IG #dreamshack.
    Is that thing built on the down low ? Someone would rat you out in about 3 minutes here in PDX.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    My understanding is that the can foam has no significant R value, simply a gap filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Can't measure an R value when you don't have a nominal thickness.
    What the hell are you guys talking about?

Construction question:
    I'm framing in a small cabin, 10'x12'. I ran the first floor joists on hangers and have built the walls with 2x6s with a 2 2x10 headers all along each wall.

I'm about to start the second floor and was thinking about how to do the floor joists.
    I can either do them the standard way of setting them on top of the headers or I could do hangers off those headers.

What's the wisdom or pros and cons of each?
    Cool project, B. Is there any heat/plumbing etc.? Anything for power? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    My understanding is that the can foam has no significant R value, simply a gap filler.
    it's a closed cell foam so it does act as an insulator

ultimately, it might be too unwieldy to work for me -- not flexible after set, could make a mess

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    it's a closed cell foam so it does act as an insulator

ultimately, it might be too unwieldy to work for me -- not flexible after set, could make a mess
    Layer it. Put the regular pipe foam, then the sleeve/shell, then fill the void with spray foam. The regular pipe foam will give your pipes all the flex they need.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

It's an expendable. Line set foam needs to be replaced every few years and takes about 10 minutes. Add it to the maintainance schedule and don't overthink it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Is that thing built on the down low ? Someone would rat you out in about 3 minutes here in PDX.
    Not in the Stumptown I know. There's so many leafy lurknesses in the West Hills, even out in SE, there's funkholes.

Anyway, I'm not hiding anything, but there's no HOA here and one can build unpermitted structures up to 400 ft^2 in unincorporated King County.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Cool project, B. Is there any heat/plumbing etc.? Anything for power? Just curious.
    I'll put in a little woodstove and I've got a plan to run about 30 feet of PVC in some trenches 3 feet down that will provide some air conditioning.
    Power will come from the main house (it's only 50 feet away), planning on LEDs.

If I can execute the way I'm thinking, it will be really cool with stairs suspended by cables to a "loft" that will be 4' high in back and 8' high in front.

We're using salvage materials from a junque shop in Seattle. Most of the windows will be repurposed full relight wood doors. We got an old stained glass window from a church teardown (with no iconography, just cool geometry).

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...85#post6370185

Not in the Stumptown I know. There's so many leafy lurknesses in the West Hills, even out in SE, there's funkholes.

Anyway, I'm not hiding anything, but there's no HOA here and one can build unpermitted structures up to 400 ft^2 in unincorporated King County.
    You are working on my dream project down to using cool old salvaged parts and recycle d materials !
    Not much available anymore if you're close in, so much change in the last 15 years with infill everywhere here.

Vicarious didn't melt his wings.
    https://ewsalvage.com/

-Stumptown resident circa 1974-1979.

Vicarious didn't melt his wings.
    https://ewsalvage.com/

-Stumptown resident circa 1974-1979.
    I was grade/middle school age around then and have great memories cruising around the city on the bus all summer long without parents tracking every move.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1628277652.485379.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	381655

Want to add a switched lights in the ceiling, but can’t run a wire down through the wall to the switch location?
    Note the range - you can control lights in an outbuilding.

It's sad and happy. I am officially old (50), I say this because the best bday present I could ever get was my parents paying for my driveway paving. You have no idea how happy this makes me, and how much less I will suffer with a shovel (soon snowblower). Plus I think with all the other improvements we have done it kinda "completes" the front (landscaping aside)..

again please excuse any "upstate" mess you see, it's all a work in progress. For example 2nd to last photo used to be an entire overgrown mess of vines and a tree (on ground), right where you see the batting net. Was a shitshow but opening it makes the yard look great imho.

Name:	PXL_20210809_233529199.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	381900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210809_233548222.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	381901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210809_233616958.jpeg 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	381902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210809_233650099.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	381903

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Place is looking good. Somewhere I read that an average full-grown oak tree has 750,000 leaves. Something to think about as fall approaches.

Place is looking good. Somewhere I read that an average full-grown oak tree has 750,000 leaves. Something to think about as fall approaches.
    Thanks sir. Yeah I mostly mow it all down to mulch with the zero turn or push mower so leaves aren't a huge deal but it's not fun times for sure.

Guess it's the price to pay for a nice slice of this blue marble.

I've got a few oaks that have easily 65 ft of straight trunk. Maybe I should chance the lumber market? Naaaa I love the seclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    It's sad and happy. I am officially old (50), I say this because the best bday present I could ever get was my parents paying for my driveway paving. You have no idea how happy this makes me, and how much less I will suffer with a shovel (soon snowblower). Plus I think with all the other improvements we have done it kinda "completes" the front (landscaping aside)..

again please excuse any "upstate" mess you see, it's all a work in progress. For example 2nd to last photo used to be an entire overgrown mess of vines and a tree (on ground), right where you see the batting net. Was a shitshow but opening it makes the yard look great imho.

Name:	PXL_20210809_233529199.jpeg 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	381900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210809_233548222.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	381901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210809_233616958.jpeg 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	381902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210809_233650099.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	381903

Just busting balls but
    Your grass in the front , where every sees it , will stay looking nicer longer if you dont park on it
    At least you should have thrown down some plywood

it's fine. unless skidog has gone full upstate and that car doesn't run and lives there.

it's fine. unless skidog has gone full upstate and that car doesn't run and lives there.
    Lol the car is only there cause we don't have really anywhere else to park for the 5 days we have to stay off it. Hell that little tdi trucks..not sitting anywhere for another 15 or more years. She's cherry

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    Just busting balls but
    Your grass in the front , where every sees it , will stay looking nicer longer if you dont park on it
    At least you should have thrown down some plywood
    Theres always a critic

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Countertops

Tile totally out of style?

What about a laminate with hardwood edge trim?

Tried concrete, wasn't super impressed with the results and made one section wrong. Looking to get something done in the next 2 weeks for an appraisal, and long term house doesn't warrant the $8k (in pre covid dollars) price for the stone that I wanted.
    Update: I put in the last "wrong" section last weekend, pretty sure the appraiser didn't see the 2" mismatch in the corner.

After considering all the other long term options here and looking at the concrete for 3 days I think the concrete really looks the best. Debating if I want to re make 1-2 sections to match, or cast the new one in place.

Sandy UT never looked so green.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

That dead wall over the garage gives me the bleh's. No gable overhang, window opening or interesting detail. Captures the tract house look perfectly. Any chance to add a window or two? What rooms are on the other side?

Driveway looks nice.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Update: I put in the last "wrong" section last weekend, pretty sure the appraiser didn't see the 2" mismatch in the corner.

After considering all the other long term options here and looking at the concrete for 3 days I think the concrete really looks the best. Debating if I want to re make 1-2 sections to match, or cast the new one in place.
    Just remake the bad ones, why create a large project?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    That dead wall over the garage gives me the bleh's. No gable overhang, window opening or interesting detail. Captures the tract house look perfectly. Any chance to add a window or two? What rooms are on the other side?

Driveway looks nice.
    It had a window. On the interior it looked off with the new design. I agree its a blank space. We are planning to add a wood burning stove on the wall behind that side so unlikely we will add windows.
    Not a tract home though. Built in 1940s and was what appears to be a small cottage, likely under 1000sq ft. The part you see is an addition to the orig house. Again the original window looked even more weird where it was placed. The room has 6 windows (4 front facing seen in pics) and 2 out facing backyard, as well as a sliding glass door so there are plenty of windows.