Page 78 of 380 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 9497
    That looks like exactly the type of light fixture that I'd drop on my feet trying to remove. Wear shoes when it comes time for the mauling.

With the fixture turned off and a paper towel handy try spraying some PB Blaster into the globe / metal connection. Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it helps free up the threads a bit.

It would make a fun piñata.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Maybe point a heat gun at the metal base for a few minutes. Idea is to heat the metal base part so it expands and not heat glass so glass does not expand. Some heat guns throw off a lot of heat, so test first on another part of the fixture to see if any damage or discoloration to finishes.

I'd also turn off the power circuit to the fixture if you try this.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

ok good ideas to try -thanks. worried about spraying lubricant near the metal but i could be careful to keep it isolated- maybe wrap some paper towel around the metal to catch overspray.
    we do have a little heat gun too and that sounds like a good call too. just heat the metal

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    That looks like exactly the type of light fixture that I'd drop on my feet trying to remove. Wear shoes when it comes time for the mauling.
    it’s better than the one we had prior.
    This is the outcome of the last fixture so I looked for a good secure connection on this fixture but then the MF’ing electrician misthreads it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	928.3 KB 
ID:	328465
    skid luxury

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

The floating shelves worked out pretty well. Now my Lady can dig thru her boxes of antiques, to fill them.

Name:	IMG_1675.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	328604

It felt good to use the wood from that waterbed frame.

edit. Seeing the other Covid projects, I realize that this isn’t all that amazing. But similar to skiing - in that each of us can get great enjoyment, with vastly different outcomes, despite wide variation in actual skill and knowledge.
    Last edited by powdrhound; 05-15-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I have a puzzler for all of you home experts. We’re replacing the bulbs in this fixture and the globe on the right won’t unscrew from the fixture. It looks like it was misthreaded when installed if you look at how the one on the left looks more seated
    Any good solutions to getting it out that you guys can think of?

I’m so annoyed I’m almost ready to take a maul to it
    Attachment 328438
    Nice globes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ok good ideas to try -thanks. worried about spraying lubricant near the metal but i could be careful to keep it isolated- maybe wrap some paper towel around the metal to catch overspray.
    we do have a little heat gun too and that sounds like a good call too. just heat the metal

This is the outcome of the last fixture so I looked for a good secure connection on this fixture but then the MF’ing electrician misthreads it

I was going to add that if the threads on the screws are just spinning, you can use a needle nose pliers and grab the screw and pull and turn, and it’ll sometimes engage the thread and then you can turn it and unscrew.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Omgosh are you Ok??? That looks awful

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Doing some finish selections on the big job next week. Thoughts on solid surface shower walls (quartz or manf. stone) vs. tile? What's the typical added cost on going solid surface vs. tile? Standard shower size area, 42"x42" I believe.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Doing some finish selections on the big job next week. Thoughts on solid surface shower walls (quartz or manf. stone) vs. tile? What's the typical added cost on going solid surface vs. tile? Standard shower size area, 42"x42" I believe.
    we actually used porcelain floor tiles on the shower wall. Gave us the look we were going to, but they're a bitch to cut.

Could be several thousand dollars. Id say your looking at 60 to 100 bucks a foot for SS vs 20ish for tile. Tile installs can get pretty pricey also. Even if you go with slabs on the walls you will still need a tile guy for the pan and liner. Foam or mud? Id recommend mud based on what ive seen. Ive seen mud showers water tight and structurally sound 75 years later, foam products for showers have been around 20 years tops and many are starting to fail already.

No idea on pricing, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about ceramic sheets like Neolith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23

Looks like Daltile has a competing offering now too: https://www.daltile.com/countertops-...amic-porcelain

Thoughts on solid surface shower walls (quartz or manf. stone) vs. tile?
    You're talking about using a stone fabricator in lieu of a tiler. Measure/fab & install time are usually higher. Think about a countertop cost for each wall.

In addition to cost, you may want to consider if you can even get the material into the shower.
    Full wall panel would need to be walked into the house to the bathroom & then stood up in the shower space. And you would want it nice & tight in the corners, no huge slop joints...which probably also means you want the walls flatter/squarer than you might for tile (...tho mosaic tile will show off a surface that isn't flat too).

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    we actually used porcelain floor tiles on the shower wall. Gave us the look we were going to, but they're a bitch to cut.
    A friends wife redid their shower with large stone flooring tiles. Came out very nice.

Your imagination ( and budget ) are your only constraints.

Edit: Not sure of the actual tile material.

New gutters were installed today. Not sure I’m thrilled about this corner. The different facia levels make it a little tricky, but as a hack dose of stuff, I think I’d have capped the upper gutter and directed a downspout right into the lower gutter. The way it was done looks like it could in theory direct water up underneath the shingles when it hits the lower roof.

What would you gutter dentists have done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Quote Originally Posted by house View Post
    New gutters were installed today. Not sure I’m thrilled about this corner. The different facia levels make it a little tricky, but as a hack dose of stuff, I think I’d have capped the upper gutter and directed a downspout right into the lower gutter. The way it was done looks like it could in theory direct water up underneath the shingles when it hits the lower roof.

you have the right idea
    that's not great^^

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by house View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's going on at the chimney? That doesn't look like correct flashing.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    What's going on at the chimney? That doesn't look like correct flashing.
    Just some old janky step flashing. I just collected another handful of mortar from the crumbling chimney today; it's definitely on the list of to-dos.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I was going to add that if the threads on the screws are just spinning, you can use a needle nose pliers and grab the screw and pull and turn, and it’ll sometimes engage the thread and then you can turn it and unscrew.
    the globe base screws into the fixture so no other screws but we ended up detaching the upper brass part and going in from the top.
    But then realized it just doesn’t sit as well with the fixture as the other globes down the line (5 in all) and the electrician just twisted it in extra hard bc he was trying to get it to fit like the others.
    dammit I don’t feel like dealing with getting the company to send me a new one but I probably should, I guess? I’m inclined to just let it be bc I’m so *^#+#%* over anything renovation related. but then if it’s a PITA every time I need to change a bulb...

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Omgosh are you Ok??? That looks awful
    that actually happened at the end of last summer so all healed up now but it was so lucky that’s all that happened.
    I now refer to that light as the one that tried to kill me bc a moment before I was standing underneath reaching up trying to mess with it and if it had shattered and landed on me then I picture a Tarantino style jugular slash
    skid luxury

B careful BBear!

Anyone ever tackled grinding a cement patio? I have a covered patio (300 sq ft). It has what I think is some old carpet glue in a few spots and a few layers of cement paint. The 10" Edco grinder I can rent at Home Depot says it removes this stuff. Is this a complete pain-in-the-ass-so-hire-a-pro type of deal or totally a DIY?

Depends on what the pro costs, but definitely DIY-able. I haven't done it personally, but a friend who's no handier than I ripped out his basement carpet, ground the concrete, then did some kind of epoxy finish. It turned out great and is on my short list of house projects to do myself. He said the grinding took a while and was a decent PITA, but that was mostly due to dealing with the dust indoors. A 300 sf patio slab outdoors should be relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Anyone ever tackled grinding a cement patio? I have a covered patio (300 sq ft). It has what I think is some old carpet glue in a few spots and a few layers of cement paint. The 10" Edco grinder I can rent at Home Depot says it removes this stuff. Is this a complete pain-in-the-ass-so-hire-a-pro type of deal or totally a DIY?
    Get a real deal respirator. Silicosis is no joke

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Friend of mine had a concrete enclosed porch floor ground. Contractor sends some kid to do it, no respirator. My friend finds the kid passed out, and his house full of concrete dust.