Page 68 of 380 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Basically the same the same thing as an architect stamp.
    But cheaper, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The contractor should be able to draw this up and have an engineer stamp it.
    This is typically how I do things. I have an in house draftsperson who is way cheaper than an architect. I used to know an engineer who would just do a couple of small revisions and then stamp it, but he stopped taking work (prob bc he's like 85). Now I have to wait 3 months for the engineers to call me back like every other schmuck. I've basically stopped taking work that requires engineering because of this bottleneck.

Honestly, this building boom needs to calm the fuck down. I'd be happy to take an income cut for the sustainability of the world.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Honestly, this building boom needs to calm the fuck down.
    Seriously. Waiting for the recession.

I’ll defer to the locals here who will know better the local development reqts.

But, where I am, draftsmen & engineers rarely crack any zoning that isn’t directly related to structural. Zoning can involve any impacts from district overlays (land use reviews, design review), landscape reqts, urban forestry (tree reqts), parking/loading/bike reqts per occupancy, accessibility (25% for accessibility), etc. This is aside from life safety/occupancy reqts if the project changes walls/doors around. These can stretch out a small reno project if they exist and you end up dealing with them as they percolate out from jurisdictional review. Better to address them holistically in a single submittal to the reviewer.

Thanks ::: :::, I hear ya. If a contractor has to deal with unknown setbacks, tree requirements, safety, building lighting, etc he's charging me for drafting time and research when I could be paying someone who does this shit every day, do it quicker, more accurate, and will hopefully tell me I'm not fucked with all the requirements to re-do a front of a really old building to make it to modern code. Or this is just the voice of inexperience guessing wrong here, as usual.

And to everyone else: I thought my city (SSLC, technically not SLC) required an architect to sign off, sounds like I need to give City Hall a call first. Just at the pre-planning stage here...thanks for insight.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    This is typically how I do things. I have an in house draftsperson who is way cheaper than an architect. I used to know an engineer who would just do a couple of small revisions and then stamp it, but he stopped taking work (prob bc he's like 85). Now I have to wait 3 months for the engineers to call me back like every other schmuck. I've basically stopped taking work that requires engineering because of this bottleneck.

Honestly, this building boom needs to calm the fuck down. I'd be happy to take an income cut for the sustainability of the world.

I didn't know contractors had in-house draftsmen, my contractor doesn't. And while we live in different states, maybe I should expect an engineer to take forever now, good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

And to everyone else: I thought my city (SSLC, technically not SLC) required an architect to sign off, sounds like I need to give City Hall a call first. Just at the pre-planning stage here...thanks for insight.
    I’d be really surprised if SSLC has some architect requirement that is more restrictive than state rules. Spend five minutes on the phone talking to a planner, you may be in a zone that has lax requirements. Also ask if they do over the counter permit reviews. It’s likely this is a two dept. (bldg and planning) review and doesn’t need a full submittal.

For bonus points, tell them their new homeless shelter has created this need for a new door due to number of homeless hanging around. Then ask for grant money for the change.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Who here has a urinal in their house?

My wife has a week long business trip in a few months and I’m thinking about putting one in while she’s gone so I don’t have to hear about how bad an idea it is. It’s a total roll of the dice whether I will be sleeping next to it after doing this. My buddy has a urinal and it’s glorious. I can only pee in so many sinks.

I also want to be able to add urinal cakes to the shopping list without it being a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I don't, but I don't know why more homes aren't built with them.

If the womens really knew how much pee ended up on the rim of the bowl, I'm convinced urinals would be standard equipment in bathroom remodels.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Get one of the no-flush ones and sell it as saving the planet.

pretend you're installing a walk-in shower...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Get one of the no-flush ones and sell it as saving the planet.
    Oh God no, those stink so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    pretend you're installing a walk-in shower...
    What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Oh God no, those stink so badly.
    Do they? I've been in plenty of bathrooms that have them and I've never noticed it, but they've all been in bigger bathrooms like restaurants or whatever.

Can you get sick drinkin piss?

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post

My wife has a week long business trip in a few months and I’m thinking about putting one in while she’s gone so I don’t have to hear about how bad an idea it is. It’s a total roll of the dice whether I will be sleeping next to it after doing this. My buddy has a urinal and it’s glorious. I can only pee in so many sinks.

I also want to be able to add urinal cakes to the shopping list without it being a joke.

Do it.

Buddy's dad had one in his hangar, I don't know why they aren't more common. I'd have added one if my bathroom had more space. I don't think you need to go for the no flush option for home use.

That guys bathroom setup is where I got the idea for an amnesty toilet, but the practical details are tricky. I've been pushing my parents to do it when they redo one of the bathrooms+laundry area

I’m planning on putting a urinal in the garage. Hidden in a cabinet.

Don’t go flushless, they have to be cleaned more often.... because they don’t flush..... not an issue in a commercial setting with a janitorial service.... but obvious issues at home with a wife...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Isnt the bathtub the home urinal?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post

QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Do they? I've been in plenty of bathrooms that have them and I've never noticed it, but they've all been in bigger bathrooms like restaurants or whatever.
    We have them at my company and the janitors have to spray them down multiple times a day.

That's something I should have added upstairs. Theres plenty of room next to the shitter to do it.

bathroom remodel - mostly down to studs (need to tear out some subfloor due to leak). Q: just tear it all out or is leaving in some old drywall fine. I've hung and done m&t on new construction but not on a partial, easier to be all new?

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    bathroom remodel - mostly down to studs (need to tear out some subfloor due to leak). Q: just tear it all out or is leaving in some old drywall fine. I've hung and done m&t on new construction but not on a partial, easier to be all new?
    My drywall guy always thinks I'm dumb for trying to save any. For an average sized bath, unless you're not touching an entire wall, pull it all down. It will be less expensive and give you a better outcome than trying to piece it together. If you can leave a wall in corner to corner, leave it.

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I'd pull it all down if only to stuff sound insulation in the walls so people can't hear you blowing up the toilet.