Page 246 of 380 FirstFirst ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 9498
    Yes, we get all the work product.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I am sick of our fucking house and its piece of shit bathrooms and kitchen, and its terrible insulation and shitty windows/doors.
    You just described our happy house but we did put in a new kitchen last year, and we're just finishing up new floors upstairs, and we're scheduled for new windows next spring, but still need to gut and remodel the bedrooms and baths and laundry.

Right now we're crossing the easy things off the list but definitely not looking forward to the later items. I will say it makes it easier having the crumb snatchers out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    After a huge swing and a miss by the design/build firm we hired, we are pulling the plug on the major remodel we were going to do this summer and hiring a new architect to start from scratch, which means we are pushing the whole thing out at least a year. It fucking sucks. I am sick of our fucking house and its piece of shit bathrooms and kitchen, and its terrible insulation and shitty windows/doors.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. I feel better now.
    Think of the money and the grief your saving NOT having to go through a remodel right now. Just knowing you'll have it in your near future should shut your wife up enough to let you get pow days for this winter, all winter. Just turn up your thermostat to 80 and you'll still be $400K ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You just described our happy house but we did put in a new kitchen last year, and we're just finishing up new floors upstairs, and we're scheduled for new windows next spring, but still need to gut and remodel the bedrooms and baths and laundry.

Right now we're crossing the easy things off the list but definitely not looking forward to the later items. I will say it makes it easier having the crumb snatchers out of the house.
    I'm looking forward to getting the last kid out of the house so I can get RID of it and get something little.

apparently there are rat droppings on top of the drop ceiling in our new house so I want to replace the tiles because that shit is nasty and tiles are easy to replace. Walkout basement room ~300 sq ft with ~10ft ceiling. Will be a family/play/home theater room.
    The designer series tiles look a lot nicer than the commercial spec ones. I can get nice looking mineral ones from armstrong but the reviews say they are fragile. I can also go with similar looking pvc tiles which are study and easy to clean but a bit more expensive. Biggest question is how much better are the acoustic properties of the mineral tiles for when I want to watch a movie after my so is in bed upstairs? Can I put a ceiling speaker into either type without it falling out for a height channel in the HT?
    Any reason to go one way or the other?

rat drop ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    rat drop ceiling
    In your head, did you sing this to "Cat Scratch Fever"? Because I did.

Rat droppings are hudge

I’m thinking mice. Like a fennel seed. Not a raisin.

Every drop ceiling has mice droppings. Fear not.

Mineral tiles are fragile, but fine once in place.

I put pvc tiles in my basement hall since I’m in there all the time for wiring, and at least twice a year to turn the outdoor shower on and off

Neither one will hold a heavy speaker. It will sag over time.
    The led puck lights are fine. Speakers are too heavy.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm looking forward to getting the last kid out of the house so I can get RID of it and get something little.
    Yeah, we considered that but with the price escalation around here we said no way. We got this place for a ridiculously low price in 2012 and could make a killing selling it, but then turn around and buy something completely overpriced? We're just going to remodel and build an ADU and hold out for another 20 years or until they throw dirt in my face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220113_175613.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	351.8 KB 
ID:	401055

This was not fun but rat drop ceiling is out and ready for new tiles. Glad to have it done before we move in this weekend. Name:  ED643DBB-C26F-45A2-B4AF-65F953ABC4C1.jpeg
Views: 412
Size:  79.4 KB

Smart Thermostats. What works well?
    I have two separate systems for myself and want them on the same thing on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Honeywell

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I have two separate systems for myself and want them on the same thing on my phone.

Really happy with my Ecobee.

Friends have Nest and they seem to like that too but never used.

We have nest thermostats, smokes, and doorbell camera in our house and it’s an awesome system but expensive. We drive everything through Google Home which is easy to use. If you go Nest, buy the expensive version of the thermostat. I put the new cheaper one in a project recently and the reduced functionality is not worth the money you save.

I have Nest and Ecobee. I’ve been using Nest since the first gen thermostat. I’ve only had the ecobee for a year ($82 open box made it too good to pass up). Both perform well and do the “smart thermostat” job. I like that the ecobee came with a remote sensor (I think nest offers that now too). But, overall, I think I like the nest user interfaces better. Both on the device and via the app.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the major brands but…

Think about if you want other smart devices (doorbell, lockset, lights, garage door, smoke detectors, security) and if you want them all on the same ecosystem…..

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I've got two separate Trane HVAC systems for my house, with separate thermostats. Different Trane thermostat models. One "smart" that's wicked confusing and requires me to pay for their smart home subscription to use with my phone (which I haven't done). The other one is not smart. HVAC guy said he can upgrade the not-smart one for $500 and at least they'd be the same, and I could do the paid service to make them "smart".
    So spending $500 to DIY more intuitive thermostats would be great. Being able to see both of them on my phone would be amazing.
    But it's been surprisingly hard to find info on whether I'll run into any app issues or whatever with two separate systems.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Fuck that guy.
    $500?

It’s three wires. Or four if you have AC.

And low voltage. You’re not going to die

And it’s $100 or so for a smart thermostat.

I have Honeywell. It’s a separate free app. But has always worked great. Nest is fine too. But it’s googles now. You shouldn’t have to pay monthly for this shit.

The best thing about smart thermostat is
    1. Turning the heat back up before you get there.
    2 having low heat notice if your heating system fails
    3. Being a lardass and turning up the heat while on the couch. This one is funny. But I’ve done it.
    . . .

I've got two separate Trane HVAC systems for my house, with separate thermostats. Different Trane thermostat models. One "smart" that's wicked confusing and requires me to pay for their smart home subscription to use with my phone (which I haven't done). The other one is not smart. HVAC guy said he can upgrade the not-smart one for $500 and at least they'd be the same, and I could do the paid service to make them "smart".
    So spending $500 to DIY more intuitive thermostats would be great. Being able to see both of them on my phone would be amazing.
    But it's been surprisingly hard to find info on whether I'll run into any app issues or whatever with two separate systems.
    The Honeywell app is free and pretty simple. You can also tie in low temp warning and remote leak detectors which can save you big money if you ever blow a supply line or lose heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fuck that guy.
    $500?

It’s three wires. Or four if you have AC.

And low voltage. You’re not going to die

And it’s $100 or so for a smart thermostat.

I have Honeywell. It’s a separate free app. But has always worked great. Nest is fine too. But it’s googles now. You shouldn’t have to pay monthly for this shit.

The best thing about smart thermostat is
    1. Turning the heat back up before you get there.
    2 having low heat notice if your heating system fails
    3. Being a lardass and turning up the heat while on the couch. This one is funny. But I’ve done it.
    I like waking up at night sweating and just grabbing my phone and cranking the AC or fan. Immediately helps me fall back asleep. Then the system will revert back to the schedule settings at the next time interval.

Also, when I go on vacation it’s nice to be able to adjust the settings from my phone if I forgot prior.

Especially with radiant heat systems, it knows when to stop heating, too, so the temp doesn’t yo yo before settling out.

I like my ecobee. Multiple sensors per thermostat is super cool…. Run it off upstairs sensor for nighttime, downstairs for daytime.

And yeah, it’s an easy DIY job.
    focus.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Just replaced my 25 y.o. water heater. I don’t think this is what it’s supposed to look like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6367.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	401261

What’s amazing is that the home warranty we got from the sellers when we bought the house covered everything including seismic upgrades, expansions tank, and disposal of the old one. Brand new 50 gal tank installed in 2 days and for just the $75 deductible. I figured it would turn out to be worthless if we ever needed it.

You should be able to find two brand new smart thermostats, even Nest, for <$500. Costco often has deals on Nest products, bundled with a temp sensor.

Check your utility for any energy saving discount programs.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.