Page 285 of 380 FirstFirst ... 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,125 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I couldn't believe how disgusting the old carpeting was when we pulled it up.
    This ^^ I have eliminated all carpet up and down, I don't ever want carpet in a house again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    This ^^ I have eliminated all carpet up and down, I don't ever want carpet in a house again
    We pulled the old carpet up in our bedroom and found a tree growing underneath it that had sprouted from all the birdseed that had fallen into the carpet over the years. Literally roots into the subfloor. 🤢🤮

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    We pulled the old carpet up in our bedroom and found a tree growing underneath it that had sprouted from all the birdseed that had fallen into the carpet over the years. Literally roots into the subfloor. ����
    I had a beach next to the door going into the bathrooms where the cats' litter box is. I guess all those years of them tracking just a little bit of litter out.

I look at how much stuff normaly falls on the floor and realize I will never get all that stuff out of the carpet no matter how much vacuuming

its gotta be bad for people with allergies

Way back in the day my mother wanted the w2w carpet so she covered good hardwood floors with carpet ... WTF eh

I look at how much stuff normaly falls on the floor and realize I will never get all that stuff out of the carpet no matter how much vacuuming

its gotta be bad for people with allergies

Way back in the day my mother wanted the w2w carpet so she covered good hardwood floors with carpet ... WTF eh
    The original owners of our 30's house covered the builder's wood floors--oak with walnut details--with wall to wall. We pulled the carpet when we bought the house in 1984 and found the floors in perfect condition. So there is that.

Of course it ^^was clear wood with no knots or imperfections, it was good of them to protect those floors for you but that how women thot

ours was a 60's house with nice wood floors except for the lino tiles in the kitchen

Collective input needed for installing aluminum fence posts and yet staying straight, true and a correct height.

Product is: https://slipfence.com/horizontal

Yes, I've read their instructions.

I've installed wooden fence posts before. Staking them to the ground while the concrete dries. Obviously can't do that with these unless I build a jig of some sort. Current plan is to cut some scrap boards and place between the posts as if they were the final install and that will keep them aligned to each other.

Maybe the concrete sets up faster than I remember? (It's been 20yrs since my last fence install).

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

brace them in 2 directions 90 degrees to each other as you would with wood posts. Attach the braces to the posts with clamps. Use a pieces of wood under the far sides of the clamps to avoid damaging the posts.

+1 to old goat
    And add string line to keep them in line with each other

Good idea on the clamps.

Thanks

I would set them in quick cement.
    Set posts in dry cement. Add boards. Brace as needed. Make it true.

Then water the cement. Super easy.

I was just researching the quick cement, seems good for my use.

3" hollow, square aluminum posts.

1) set post in hole, put mix around post and set

Or

2) mix concrete in home home, set post into concrete, allowing for concrete to also be inside the post. Might be stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    2) mix concrete in home home, set post into concrete, allowing for concrete to also be inside the post. Might be stronger?

I’ve never done it that way, but I think it’d be very hard to push the post down through properly mixed concrete.

^^ One of the many uses of a maul.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I was just researching the quick cement, seems good for my use.

3" hollow, square aluminum posts.

1) set post in hole, put mix around post and set

Or

Definitely 1). I like the stuff where you pour dry mix in the hole around the post, then add water. I don't think I'd use it for a footing for a 20 story building but strong enough for a fence. And it comes in 50 pound bags, instead of 60 or 90, which is nice for an old man.

Set post, hold it plumb while drinking a beer until set enough. Proceed to next post. The few 3 or 4 posts should be plumb. After that maybe not so much.

Back to report that the installation of the posts went smoothly thanks to the advice.

I don't remember quickrete setting up so quickly, but that was key. No need to secure the posts while they dried. Wife held them plumb while I did the mix and water, they didn't need tending at all after that.

I did find a tip in a review section for quickrete, do not pour the entire bag, or multiple bags and then add water. The water won't get to the bottom of the mix in that example. I poured half a bag, half the water, stir with dowel to help water absorb and repeat.

I'll report back when the fence is finished.

IME the best tool for mixing concrete by hand is a mortar hoe.

where can one pick up a hoe if we don't have one?

usually the seedier side of town

usually the seedier side of town
    So the garden center?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    ^^ One of the many uses of a maul.
    I lol'd
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    So the garden center?
    well played sir !

Seems like the right thread for this: in my neighborhood is this new house being built, with a roof sloping down the length of the house - directly against the garage wall adjacent.

Why would someone do this? We get a pretty good amount of snow here each winter. Seems like a good way to cause a lot of damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Reminds me of a new house I saw today with intersecting roofs that will definitely cause an ice dam this winter, if it snows.

Please follow up on that place this winter Chup.

All I can figure is snow brakes, heated gutters and a designer that's never built in snow country?