Page 206 of 380 FirstFirst ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Anyone remove an old drive way and have it re-poured lately? Standard 2 car garage type pad, that is about 15 feet in length. $15k bid. WTF?
    Sounds about right. I was getting quoted 1.5-2k to pour a 4' x 25' sidewalk that i had already removed all of the bricks. ended up just putting the bricks back down.

Anyone remove an old drive way and have it re-poured lately? Standard 2 car garage type pad, that is about 15 feet in length. $15k bid. WTF?
    What do you expect it to cost and why? Hint: shit costs money. Make sure to price out equipment, disposal, concrete, prep, labor etc. Start adding by $thousands and see where you get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What do you expect it to cost and why? Hint: shit costs money. Make sure to price out equipment, disposal, concrete, prep, labor etc. Start adding by $thousands and see where you get to.
    He's a cheap old rich fucker. He thinks that shit should cost 'bout tree-fiddy.

"I wish it didn't cost that much" does not equal "that guy is trying to rip me off!" . Every time someone thinks my prices are to high, I ask them to give me a detailed estimate as to what they think it should cost. I've gotten one exactly zero times. I always do a drive by on the jobs I lose and 90% of the time the job never gets done.

Highest price always does the best work.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

One can/should just get 3 quotes, you can usually form a concensus on what things should cost

when I got a new HE furnace one guy was 4K the next guy was 7K and he was gona do something against code, the 3rd guy didnt show up to quote but did call 4 months later, I went with the 4K guy and it was awesume

some people just say everything is a ripoff cuz they have no idea what stuff costs or how the world works
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For a data point I recently had a 3’ high 25’ long wall with footing poured and a 12’x25’ stamped patio installed. Old wall and patio removed. Price in Seattle was $11,000. Other estimates varied from $8,000 to $22,000. I’d consider more bids.

I think you should always discuss the quote with the contracter to find out what they think they are going to do

ferinstance on my furnace quote the 7K guy was gona put the intake/exhaust out the side of the building which is normal for an HE furnace but in this instal the 4K guy told me the pipes would be too close to a window so the instal would not be to code

4K guy put them up/ out to the roof thru an old wood stove vent
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Smart ass, there are tools on the internet, put in your zip code, amount of square feet, check the other special boxes that may apply to the job and the highest number I saw was $9k. Hence my question and ya, I spend so much fuckin money day to day, I need to be sure I am not getting fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Sweet, I hope those tools on the internet can get the job done for you! If not, make sure you bring it up with the contractors you speak with an a negotiating tactic.

How many yards of mud? How much per yard? What's the disposal fee?

Smart ass, there are tools on the internet, put in your zip code, amount of square feet, check the other special boxes that may apply to the job and the highest number I saw was $9k. Hence my question and ya, I spend so much fuckin money day to day, I need to be sure I am not getting fucked.
    Keep in mind most of those estimators are about 1-2 years behind and in today's climate concrete guys probably don't even want to fuck around on a small pad like that so might adding a few extra bucks. Go look for where all the Tongan families shop and just ask around for a cash price.

Disposal of concrete might run more than the pour depending on locality, which directly corresponds with the number of owner installed dry stack walls in the area.

Red-assed richers always bring the lulz

Shit, hire that guy ASAP. You could damn near add a zero to the cost of a job like that around here and be in the ballpark. Screaming deal.

I took a $12k labor only bid to interior paint. I tried to get other bids but didn’t get a callback and I wanted to get going. Three pros took 9 days to paint. Fast calculation puts it around $200 an hour. I’m happy. Worth every penny to have pros do it. It looks absolutely great.

Plus:

$450 subcontract a wall texture guy.

$2800 in paint.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Keep in mind most of those estimators are about 1-2 years behind and in today's climate concrete guys probably don't even want to fuck around on a small pad like that so might adding a few extra bucks. Go look for where all the Tongan families shop and just ask around for a cash price.
    Friends of ours got a good deal and good work from a crew of Samoans.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Friends of ours got a good deal and good work from a crew of Samoans.
    Idk about other areas but lots of south Pacific islander cement crews here in Portland. Cash talks and anything gets done in like 4 days.

We had a minor kitchen remodel by an all Romanian crew--Romanian GC/floor guy, Romanian plumber/electrician, Romanian cabinet maker, Romanian granite guy. Nice job, nice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I took a $12k labor only bid to interior paint. I tried to get other bids but didn’t get a callback and I wanted to get going. Three pros took 9 days to paint. Fast calculation puts it around $200 an hour. I’m happy. Worth every penny to have pros do it. It looks absolutely great.

Plus:

$450 subcontract a wall texture guy.

$2800 in paint.
    $12k/9/3/8 is more like $55 an hour. Damn high for painting even in covid.

But I’m more impressed by $2,800 on paint. That’s over fifty gallons!
    . . .

Without knowing what they're overhead is, I'm going to say
    Not high!
    Shit costs diñero, yo

"I wish it didn't cost that much" does not equal "that guy is trying to rip me off!" . Every time someone thinks my prices are to high, I ask them to give me a detailed estimate as to what they think it should cost. I've gotten one exactly zero times. I always do a drive by on the jobs I lose and 90% of the time the job never gets done.
    Foggy, I deal with people like that all the time too so I’m totally with ya, but 15,000k for what he’s describing as about 375 square feet is 40 bucks per foot.

Even if I assume 3,000 for demo and dump, which is very high, and another 2,000 for prep which is very high, that’s still $24/ft for only concrete placement.

So either no one there wants a job that small and they are all adding thousands because their time is more valuable elsewhere, or he’s not describing the size of the job correctly.

I’m gonna say that price is crazy if it’s really 375 feet. But right now everyone is super busy. Supply and demand. If you can wait 2 years to do it the price will drop in half.

So can you wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Same here. I've never used that pump saver in a can--never really thought about it just drained it and put away. What is it exactly just antifreeze solution?
    According to the MSDS, Ethylene Glycol ... AKA antifreeze. I'm not sure how you're draining the water from the inside of the pump, but $5.99 is pretty cheap.

I’m guessing driveway dimensions are off. (15’ is too short)
    Is curb cut getting redone too? Jurisdictional hoops might make up for the delta, if so. City of SD bldg dept is a bureaucratic nightmare.

I’m gonna say that price is crazy if it’s really 375 feet. But right now everyone is super busy. Supply and demand. If you can wait 2 years to do it the price will drop in half.

So can you wait?
    We are saying the same thing. All the rich guys love to be all "free market" until the "demand" is high for the product they want.

In 2008 nobody was tossing a couple Gs at their contractor just because. The OP lives in Coronado, I'm guessing there are no batch plants or disposal facilities on the island. A savy contractor is gonna roll up in their King Ranch and just say "$15K". His life is probably full of labor shortages, price increases and work available then he can even imagine.

Make fucking hay! I know a paint less dent repair guy making $300/hr. in SLC, another friend charging a $1K/day for cabinet installs and GCs billing out there framers at over $100/hr,

You want the dog eat dog...you got it! I used to say that I charge "a fair price for quality work" but now I have lost all track of what fair is. A work truck costs $60 except you can't even get one. A roll-off...nope, better buy a dump trailer, labor...you are gonna need to do that yourself.

I have no idea when this contractor game is gonna run outta deck chairs but when you read about the housing shortage, the skilled labor shortage and all the cash chasing real estate, this is what you get.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    $12k/9/3/8 is more like $55 an hour. Damn high for painting even in covid.

But I’m more impressed by $2,800 on paint. That’s over fifty gallons!
    Legit with taxes and insurance doesn’t seem that high to me. Two coats everywhere and three on some. The owner was on vacation and didn’t work but he has to make money too and I didn’t count lunch as part of work day.

Even my ghetto painter back in hood was up to $40-50 hr day rate from $25 a few years ago.