Page 205 of 380 FirstFirst ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 9497
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What’s the use?

Do you want to remove material with it or just deep clean?
    Just enough to deep clean with the option of cutting off a toe.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    No. Hang drywall from them and insulate between them with fiberglass batts.
    where is the house? climate zone is important to the R-values in the answers

this is a great application for spray on
    2.0pcf (or "high density") closed cell spray insul
    no venting

do not do fiberglass on its own - you are asking for trouble

alternate to cheap out a little (but not hugely cheaper unfortunately) & again, no venting
    hybrid assembly of rigid over the deck & fiberglass btwn the joists
    it is essential to get the minimum R value abv the deck - see link below

detailed info here (tho values may not be current in your locality)
    https://www.buildingscience.com/docu...rid-assemblies

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    where is the house? climate zone is important to the R-values in the answers

this is a great application for spray on
    2.0pcf (or "high density") closed cell spray insul
    no venting

do not do fiberglass on its own - you are asking for trouble

alternate to cheap out a little (but not hugely cheaper unfortunately) & again, no venting
    hybrid assembly of rigid over the deck & fiberglass btwn the joists
    it is essential to get the minimum R value abv the deck - see link below

detailed info here
    https://www.buildingscience.com/docu...rid-assemblies
    Zone 6 in North Central WA. Assuming a thick enough insulation layer fiberglass with venting is a no go?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Zone 6 in North Central WA. Assuming a thick enough insulation layer fiberglass with venting is a no go?
    it can be done, but isn't recommended
    1.5" continuous vent space @ ea joist bay and appropriately sized vent in/outlets that address ea bay
    joist bay depth per min insul reqt
    then seal all penetrations & do not install any recessed fixtures in the batts
    sounds easier than it actually is to properly set up
    even then, it's a flawed installation & your exhaust vent often ends up at odds w/ the waterproofing, esp on low slope

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    it can be done, but isn't recommended
    1.5" continuous vent space @ ea joist bay and appropriately sized vent in/outlets that address ea bay
    joist bay depth per min insul reqt
    then seal all penetrations & do not install any recessed fixtures in the batts
    sounds easier than it actually is to properly set up
    even then, it's a flawed installation
    Fair enough. Not my money so I'll pass the message to my buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Good call on a Honda, looks like there are a few companies that use their engines.
    Damn shit is expensive.
    I've had equal luck with Briggs & Stratton and Honda. I wouldn't go for an unbranded engine, finding small parts for the recoil, filters, etc, can be difficult after a couple of years. Go for at least a 190cc engine with a decent pump. You're looking for pressure with flow. Don't get caught with a machine that only flows 1 GPM at 4000 psi. You're looking for 2800-3000 PSI @ at least 2.5 GPM.

Whatever you get, use this at the end of the season.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Update on the fencing project. I rented a Toro Dingo with hydraulic auger for the day. This thing rocks.

Unfortunately my yard is also mostly rocks. Big fucking rocks.

The auger doesn’t turn fast enough and the ground is too loose to lift the soil out, that I ended up just stirring up the rocks with the auger then manually post hole digging out the fill. Oh and the auger would hit a big rock roughly every 3” and I’d have to stop and excavate and then use the rock bar to pry out the rocks and then continue.

And I’m only halfway done. I don’t think just digging by hand is any better as this shit is cemented in so tight by the soil surrounding the rocks.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions on how to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Update on the fencing project. I rented a Toro Dingo with hydraulic auger for the day. This thing rocks.

Unfortunately my yard is also mostly rocks. Big fucking rocks.

The auger doesn’t turn fast enough and the ground is too loose to lift the soil out, that I ended up just stirring up the rocks with the auger then manually post hole digging out the fill. Oh and the auger would hit a big rock roughly every 3” and I’d have to stop and excavate and then use the rock bar to pry out the rocks and then continue.

And I’m only halfway done. I don’t think just digging by hand is any better as this shit is cemented in so tight by the soil surrounding the rocks.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions on how to deal with it.
    Sounds brutal. Good luck..I've used those 2 person augers to do 35 tree holes. I hurt a lot the next day as I recall

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

There is no better relationship building device than a two man auger….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

One trick for the hole digging...it's messy but works in a pinch: use water to break down the dirt around the rocks. Sometimes them sumbitches are so wedged in there it seems like nothing will move them.
    Get the water hose out and try and loosen them. I've even seen a pressure washer used. On a hot day it's no big deal, cold days are brutal but when it works, it works.
    Also, if you have a larger shop vac, a lot of dirt and water can be removed easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    One trick for the hole digging...it's messy but works in a pinch: use water to break down the dirt around the rocks. Sometimes them sumbitches are so wedged in there it seems like nothing will move them.
    Get the water hose out and try and loosen them. I've even seen a pressure washer used. On a hot day it's no big deal, cold days are brutal but when it works, it works.
    Also, if you have a larger shop vac, a lot of dirt and water can be removed easily.
    Sounds like what you guys need is a Vacuum excavator:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k6tVEmbg5gM

^^^^
    That's pretty slick, no doubt. Faster and easier is preferred when looking at a day of digging.

But it doesn't appear to be capable of removing rocks the size of a softball, much less the bowling ball ones. And that's gonna be guaranteed around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Honda GX series engines are better (and obviously more expensive) than GC.

Not letting it idle too much when the trigger isn't pulled will prolong its life.

Ethanol-free gas is better for air-cooled small engines.
    The pump is immeasurably more important than the engine on a pressure washer fir longevity

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The pump is immeasurably more important than the engine on a pressure washer fir longevity
    Pretty important, I don’t know about immeasurably. What good is a great pump if the the unreliable engine can’t turn it?

That said, I have the Ryobi mentioned above. It has a good brass pump made in Germany and a Honda engine. Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Around here the soil is more rocks than dirt. I had 11 holes to dig and the hose method made it possible. When the hole filled with water I went to the next one while the water drained into the soil, then the next, etc, then back to the first.

The better triplex pumps tend to be attached to the stronger Honda engine.

Generally speaking, don't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The better triplex pumps tend to be attached to the stronger Honda engine.
    I’ve had a few pressure washers. The pump always died on the cheap ones. I have a Dewalt with reverberie pump and it has a B&S engine. Unless you are using it daily I just don’t see how the engine matters as long as it creates pressure to the pump. The good pumps are rebuildable too.

The B&S is loud not as smooth as the GC for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Generally speaking, don't do this.
    Fuckin' plumbers and electricians, man. One of the last remodel projects I was working on was at a friend's house. I had installed new pre-finished hardwood floors. The electricians were over installing round in-floor outlets in the living room, and I heard and felt a sawzall in the crawlspace. I started yelling and pounding on the floor and went down to find some a dipshit sparky had cut halfway through a floor joist. I asked what the fuck he was doing and he said it was because he had hole-sawed through the finished floor to install an outlet but there was a floor joist there, he decided to simply cut out the floor joist because he thought that replacing the piece of flooring was impossible.

Dumb fuck got back-billed $1200 for my time fixing the floor joist and it took me less than 15 minutes to cut out and replace the pre-finished piece of flooring, even after a few bong rips.

/fastfred

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I’ve had a few pressure washers. The pump always died on the cheap ones. I have a Dewalt with reverberie pump and it has a B&S engine. Unless you are using it daily I just don’t see how the engine matters as long as it creates pressure to the pump. The good pumps are rebuildable too.

The B&S is loud not as smooth as the GC for sure.
    You think the engine creates the pressure? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Fuckin' plumbers and electricians, man.
    You aren't kidding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollywood-lights1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	385551

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	microwave1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	385552

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    You think the engine creates the pressure? Lol
    Power to the pump which creates pressure.

Gallons Per Minute is also an important performance indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    That said, I have the Ryobi mentioned above. It has a good brass pump made in Germany and a Honda engine. Win win.
    Same here. I've never used that pump saver in a can--never really thought about it just drained it and put away. What is it exactly just antifreeze solution?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Anyone remove an old drive way and have it re-poured lately? Standard 2 car garage type pad, that is about 15 feet in length. $15k bid. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Anyone remove an old drive way and have it re-poured lately? Standard 2 car garage type pad, that is about 15 feet in length. $15k bid. WTF?
    Aren't you in so cal ? That's probably the minimum price for anyone with a license/bond to show up these days. Maybe DIY that bitch with a Home depot crew and a harbor freight mixer