Page 118 of 385 FirstFirst ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 9618
    Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Yeah, you can get porous turf. We use it in dog parks in apartment developments. Drain system underneath so it can be cleaned with a power washer.
    Do you have a brand name of that stuff?

K9 turf. Google pet turf for your area should turn up some dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I know a good broker..... mags a specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    We're moving out of the area - up to the Seattle metro. It's an open question how often I'll be expected to actually be in the office though, so we could be somewhere further out with better recreation access like Enumclaw or Sammamish, or we might need to be closer in to the Seattle/Bellevue area. Really hoping to wind up in Enumclaw or somewhere similar, but TBD, like everything else these days.

I don't think I've ever actually connected in person with any PDX mags, I'll have to keep an eye out for any meetups on the hill this spring (I'm a spring pass guy), assuming I'm still around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Too much to cover, but willing to chat
    Pm if you want to talk direct later this week
    Thanks, will be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I know a good broker..... mags a specialty.
    Thanks! We're probably looking to rent for a year before buying again, but when we're ready, I'll check in with you for that name. Really nice to work with an RE agent who gets it, as opposed to some I've interacted with.

Thanks! We're probably looking to rent for a year before buying again, but when we're ready, I'll check in with you for that name. Really nice to work with an RE agent who gets it, as opposed to some I've interacted with.
    It's actually me (see signature). Feel free to reach out if you need a resource up here at any point. Helping mags for 15 years!

It's actually me (see signature). Feel free to reach out if you need a resource up here at any point. Helping mags for 15 years!
    Oh, haha, sorry, you were too subtle for me. Thanks for reaching out! Our move might not happen until sometime in Q2, but once we get started on that process I'd love to tap your brain for thoughts on where to live if you're open to that. As I mentioned, we'll be looking to rent for awhile because we're not sure how long we'll be in the Seattle area.

Oh, haha, sorry, you were too subtle for me. Thanks for reaching out! Our move might not happen until sometime in Q2, but once we get started on that process I'd love to tap your brain for thoughts on where to live if you're open to that. As I mentioned, we'll be looking to rent for awhile because we're not sure how long we'll be in the Seattle area.

anyone ever deal with wallboard that looks like this?

wtf am i dealing with here?

^WTF?

^WTF?
    i think medusa's head is jammed in there.

it appears to be some sort of treated paper in strips all crammed together. then sandwiched between two sheets of plasticy-vinyl something. real garbage. hard as fuk, tho. vintage 1940s??

just hoping no one come back with "oh, that's a banned carcinogenic material known for making your balls explode” or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post

Looks to me like an attempt at insulation. I see what looks like plaster no? Then some sort of old style osb over that?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Working on replacing the old trap on a bathroom sink. The galvanized trap arm is stuck in the PVC stub out. I can twist the galvanized pipe, but it’s doesn’t pull out at all. Kinda tempted to leave it and hook new PVC to it, but I’m also afraid it’s just going to go from difficult to impossible as the metal corrodes. Any advice on how to get the old trap arm out?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post

If that’s a bathroom, it could be an old type of pressboard with a “water resistant“ finish layer
    It would not be hot, if so

Otherwise, I have no idea and am interested in hearing what it ends up confirmed as

What's going on with the pile of scrap wood in the wall?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Hey, every hack who did DIY stuff in my house for the last 100+ years resembles that remark

NTblanks, looking forward to finding out what that stuff is

I've seen tons of that stuff in old houses while overhauling after fires. I don't know what it is, but when it's intact it's like a fibrous mesh. Is it some type of mesh for a plaster system?

I'll have to ask some of the crusty old guys.

Looks like an attempt at insulation behind original plaster that someone later covered with some kind of hardboard. (Like the stuff they make pegboards out of), maybe to cover up the cracks. Looks like plaster lath on the back side, but the plaster is gone. And more of the hardboard.
    When we remodeled our 30's house we found old newspapers used as insulation in one spot.
    Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Working on replacing the old trap on a bathroom sink. The galvanized trap arm is stuck in the PVC stub out. I can twist the galvanized pipe, but it’s doesn’t pull out at all. Kinda tempted to leave it and hook new PVC to it, but I’m also afraid it’s just going to go from difficult to impossible as the metal corrodes. Any advice on how to get the old trap arm out?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Shimz, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Looks like an attempt at insulation behind original plaster that someone later covered with some kind of hardboard. (Like the stuff they make pegboards out of), maybe to cover up the cracks. Looks like plaster lath on the back side, but the plaster is gone. And more of the hardboard.
    When we remodeled our 30's house we found old newspapers used as insulation in one spot.
    Or not.
    pretty much what i mentioned. They used all kinda of shit for insulation. Note that most of the blown shit is just cellulose, i.e. newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Shimz, yo!
    100%. Recently did about 8sf of drywall repair behind a water heater that will NEVER be seen and got the wrong thickness drywall from home depot. i told the wife its fine, we can just use some of those paint stirring sticks to shim it and no one will ever know haha.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    What do I need to know about low profile and flat roofs on 1960s era mid century modern homes?

These keep popping up in our price range, but I’m a little leery of getting involved with these roofing systems. What is available other than membrane type systems?

Anything else to know about homes built in the 60s?
    In my experience as a remodeler in the pnw and working on homes ranging from 1900-present I would have to say the worst houses built were the late 50's to the early 70's. It was the shift into more "space age" materials that either never worked or took until the 80's to work as planned.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    In my experience as a remodeler in the pnw and working on homes ranging from 1900-present I would have to say the worst houses built were the late 50's to the early 70's. It was the shift into more "space age" materials that either never worked or took until the 80's to work as planned.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    This is true. The 70's were the age of shit. Shitty houses, shitty cars and aluminum wiring. And asbestos popcorn ceilings.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Agreed.

My house was built in 1966 and it is such trash. We met the former 90-something owner who built it, "All top notch, only the best!" The only thing worse than the cardboard-like siding is the 80s kitchen remodel they did where the absolute shit oak cabinets have drawer runners that are thumbtacks and there is no stop, so you can pull every drawer straight out and drop 20 pounds of silverware on your feet.

That said, I do not envy future remodelers who are going to have to deal with a house full of sprayfoam that glues every goddamn thing together.