Page 307 of 380 FirstFirst ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,675 of 9497
    Fucking barnwood shitlap might as well be cheezy paneling at this point. Add word art and I want to shoot myself in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    When people get tired of the wallpaper they'll go back to wood paneling.
    Funny enough, the bottom half of that bathroom was wallpaper and the top was paint. I didn’t want to deal with the wallpaper so I put up stained wood beadboard and I didn’t want to paint so I put up some of the nuttiest bird-themed wallpaper I could find.

Scared my MIL with that goose. She’s equally appalled as you all.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Her tits must be un-fucking-believable.
    Missed this. And yes they are, but it was my tits that conceived of this.

This whole house is a trip and we’re having fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Missed this. And yes they are, but it was my tits that conceived of this.

This whole house is a trip and we’re having fun with it.
    Can’t wait to see the whole thing in the Zillow/Redfin Gems thread

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    The only thing worse than hanging wallpaper is taking it down. And that's probably how I ended up with 8 layers of painted over wallpaper on my ceilings.
    Can confirm, currently stripping 3 layers of painted wallpaper

Really wonder what the deal is with that big plaster patch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wallpaper.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	435105

Some tips for wallpaper removal:

With a regular ace hardware 1 gal sprayer; Make a light vinegar-water solution and heat it on the stove. Pour into sprayer and apply directly to paper. Let soak for 10 minutes.
    Wallpaper has 2 layers, the under layer is paper and glue.

The warm water allows the top layer to peel off in a sheet. Wet under layer and when saturated, let soak. Pulls off easily.

Painted layers may create issues...

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Can confirm, currently stripping 3 layers of painted wallpaper

Really wonder what the deal is with that big plaster patch

Name:	wallpaper.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	435105
    Looks like there’s a body in there.
    With nice tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

With a regular ace hardware 1 gal sprayer; Make a light vinegar-water solution and heat it on the stove. Pour into sprayer and apply directly to paper. Let soak for 10 minutes.

The warm water allows the top layer to peel off in a sheet. Wet under layer and when saturated, let soak. Pulls off easily.

Can confirm. Wet it. Wet it. Then wet it some more.
    Pump sprayer is key.
    Tape heavy plastic to the baseboard to control the shmoo and protect the floor

If vinyl or foil you are flocked. Buy a tiger scorer to make mini holes in the paper first. It can help soak painted wallpaper if it’s a light coat.

Name:	p_1000118414.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	435120

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Yep
    Sand the painted shit with 36 grit before wetting.
    If you sand horizontally, your solution won't runoff the wall as fast as well

Don’t use that paper tiger thing…it just shreds the wall and eliminates the possibility of pulling large pieces, cuz the fewer pieces you need to pull the less tedious it will be

Have you tried burning the house down?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Don’t use that paper tiger thing…it just shreds the wall and eliminates the possibility of pulling large pieces, cuz the fewer pieces you need to pull the less tedious it will be
    Bought one of those in the 90's to help remove wallpaper in an inn I was working on. It was a pain in the ass and required skimming the entire wall with mud to fill in the thousands of tiny holes. Threw it in the trash.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The paper tiger is for foil wallpaper. That shit sucks ass.

Normal paper will absorb water. No need tiger.

Paper tiger was also pretty key for vinyl wallpaper. So nice you get to remove it twice.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Looks like there’s a body in there.
    With nice tits.
    Ha! Kind of looks like you might be right. That explains the moaning we hear at night, we just thought it was the neighbors.

I'm using a vinegar/water solution, but soaking from the front doesn't seem to do much. I don't think it's getting through the paint layers. We're able to break off pretty big pieces by prying/scraping with a putty knife. That tears off the surface and leaves the backing on the wall, which does come up with vinegar/water and light scraping.

Mrs. PDX read that asbestos is a possible concern in old wallpaper, so we hit pause on this yesterday until I can get an asbestos test done. That would be a real shit sandwich, so hoping it comes back clear. Going to do another lead test on the old paint behind the wallpaper too - the first one was kind of inconclusive.

Ha! Kind of looks like you might be right. That explains the moaning we hear at night, we just thought it was the neighbors.

I'm using a vinegar/water solution, but soaking from the front doesn't seem to do much. I don't think it's getting through the paint layers. We're able to break off pretty big pieces by prying/scraping with a putty knife. That tears off the surface and leaves the backing on the wall, which does come up with vinegar/water and light scraping.

Mrs. PDX read that asbestos is a possible concern in old wallpaper, so we hit pause on this yesterday until I can get an asbestos test done. That would be a real shit sandwich, so hoping it comes back clear. Going to do another lead test on the old paint behind the wallpaper too - the first one was kind of inconclusive.
    "Buy a house," they said...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    "Buy a house," they said...

Yeah... and we could have bought some new construction thing with gray LVP everywhere and no toxic waste, but we were all "we want a house with character!" hahaha. This house could be pretty cool one day if we stick with it though.

There's definitely asbestos in that plaster! Though I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it - unless you plan on cutting/smashing it. Even then, I'd just tape some poly up on the door openings, open the window(s), and wear a 3M respirator mask with the P100 filters.

I'd also be lying if I said a hadn't completely ignored that advice back in the olden days.

A motion activated hiss on that goose would snap some sphincters closed in a hurry.

Asbestos risks are mostly way, way overblown, especially for basic homeowners who are not exposed occupationally. There are basically two forms of asbestos, chrysotile and amphiboles. Amphiboles contain fine needle-like crystals that are indeed quite dangerous. Chrysotile is made of long, curly, sheet-like crystals that, while capable of producing fine particulates that you don't want to breathe, aren't really any more dangerous than fine particulates present in any kind of construction dust. >95% of all asbestos is chrysotile.

In an old house you're going to find chrysotile asbestos in almost everything, so I would not even bother testing it. If you're wetting the paper to remove it you're fine as moisture will prevent dust formation. If you're doing dry removal then, like Ted said, seal and ventilate the room and wear a respirator. But, honestly, you should be doing this for any construction work that generates dust. Breathing in fine dust of any kind is really bad for your lungs. Wood dust is a Group I carcinogen (a substance known to cause cancer in humans). Concrete and drywall dust causes silicosis and probably cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    A motion activated hiss on that goose would snap some sphincters closed in a hurry.
    and red LEDs where the eyes used to be

While we're talking about old houses, don't forget the lead in the paint. When they say old houses have character, what they mean is that they're character building.

On a 30 second delay…
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    While we're talking about old houses, don't forget the lead in the paint. When they say old houses have character, what they mean is that they're character building.
    What doesn’t kill you, gives you permanent neurological damage? I think that’s how the saying goes.

Yesterday I finally got around to crawling up into my attic and rolling in insulation. Good news is there isn’t a 2” deep layer of vermiculite insulation like every other house this age has, there was some glass-looking shards on the top of the drywall so I’m guessing it had vermiculite at some point that was removed. I’ll still have to be a little careful but it definitely makes cutting ceiling holes for new lights and exhaust fans easier.

Now I’m trying to make a plan to redo the wiring up here, which is old ungrounded cloth NM. Several of the j-boxes had the wire “secured” by wrapping a wad of electrical tape around the wire until roughly the diameter of the knockout then stuffing the wire in the hole so it got stuck on the tape.

Procured for Bruce’s mouth: https://www.amazon.com/CCMIOCO-Lrrit...07061036&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I hired my neighbor on a small project and I am worried about the quality of work. I'll admit I hired him very casually and expressed budget concerns- plus the whole project (like hiring a friend/neighbor) is kind of ill advised to begin with, so I bear most of the blame here.

We are basically building 3 walls to enclose part of my covered entryway. Leaving existing wall and door alone. Going to be shoe/coat storage to get them out of the kitchen. Making it small to leave some overhang.
    Name:  frontsmallest.png
Views: 350
Size:  211.3 KB

Moisture control seems to be an afterthought, which is my main concern being in the Pacific Northwest. Here's what is freaking me out:
    Name:  IMG_6021.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  168.5 KBName:  69126933797__F1B87C72-9EEE-42F1-A754-576FCBBD91FF.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  136.2 KB

I was expecting some kind of beefy flashing solution or small curb on the front or something- not 'I'll caulk it after the siding is up'. And I was certainly not expecting a pro carpenter to put untreated door trim and OSB touching the ground. I don't see any sign of sill plate gaskets either.

He wants to finish the siding tomorrow (has 2 side pieces already in), and I am thinking we should pull off the wrap, add some joint sealer and tape to the sill/concrete interface, and add metal flashing to all sides. I think the 'rightest' way forward for the front is to make a small concrete cut for Z flashing to sit in. I think a door pan may be worth it too. I am happy to do all that myself as I feel he probably does not care as much as I do (I am doing a couple aspects already). But being my neighbor and a pro and me being the idiot who asked for this and watches too many youtubes don't want to step on his toes either.

Am I overreacting/overengineering/butting in here? The house has survived 120 years in this weather somehow with probably worse construction. And I did essentially ask for a shed bolted to my house after all. On the other hand, I don't want my shed to rot after a year either. Thanks for any advice.