Page 234 of 384 FirstFirst ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 9596

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Good info about the windows gang. We need to replace ours too and I’ve felt tempted by those Renewal by Andersen commercials- “we love our new windows”
    even though I knew they would be subpar the jingle started to get me
    https://youtu.be/c9oyVVTO9uo
    skid luxury

Believe my pops got a quote from Windows by Anderson. It was very high, and he loves negotiating. He then priced the same windows locally for substantially less. The Windows by Anderson guy kept trying to say they weren't the same windows and they had access to better models (even though the model #s were the same). I think he got the price down to reasonable and gave the guy the business.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The whole benefit is one-stop shopping in what used to be the “confusing” world of getting windows through a contractor/installer/designer.
    The down side is maybe having a Home Depot quality install in your home & paying for the privilege.
    The traditional path is still the better path from a quality standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I've been doing quite a few window replacement jobs lately. Insurance has been paying for entire new window packs due to the East Troublesome Fire. If one seal is blown, it seems that because the new windows won't match, gotta go all new.
    Matching is a big deal and I have seen people get all new windows/siding (basically a new exterior) when just one part of the house is damaged, but this is often helped along by savvy contractors.

Why did the fire lead to coverage for broken window seals, though?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Why did the fire lead to coverage for broken window seals, though?
    Same question here…
    Provoked pressure differential?

A question for the experts.

I have a fenced in and tiled patio between my house and garage where I like to do workouts, etc but the roof shingles continue to shed a ton of pebbles anytime there’s any sort of wind.
    We replaced the roof 2 summers ago and went from cedar shake to asphalt shingles.
    Will this pebble shedding ever diminish? I thought it would have petered out by now.

*the pebbles are like putting your hand down on a mini lego piece when doing burpees, etc
    skid luxury

It could be hereditary babybear. Was the mother's side of your roof's family similarly prone?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    A question for the experts.

I have a fenced in and tiled patio between my house and garage where I like to do workouts, etc but the roof shingles continue to shed a ton of pebbles anytime there’s any sort of wind.
    We replaced the roof 2 summers ago and went from cedar shake to asphalt shingles.
    Will this pebble shedding ever diminish? I thought it would have petered out by now.

*the pebbles are like putting your hand down on a mini lego piece when doing burpees, etc
    i don't know how old my roof is & every time i clean the gutters there's a small deposit of these grains
    it's a kind of sacrificial wear layer

The thing that does eventually stop is finding loose/never-installed roofing nails.
    I've been amazed at the nails found years after an install

The grit/pebbles stop right around the time you need a new roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

I don't know if your buddy is out of the Steamboat Area (Western Slope means different thinks to different people...like upstate...to me it is West of Rifle, South of 40, North of Mont-rose...so not Craig (that's NW CO) and not Ridgeway (That's The San Juans))...but yeah, I know that guy. His crews seem like they do pretty good.
    Yeah it's Erik out of Glenwood

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Believe my pops got a quote from Windows by Anderson. It was very high, and he loves negotiating. He then priced the same windows locally for substantially less. The Windows by Anderson guy kept trying to say they weren't the same windows and they had access to better models (even though the model #s were the same). I think he got the price down to reasonable and gave the guy the business.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sounds about right. Anderson guy gave me $21k for 7 windows today; said he "could do" 20% off, but still $17k... As I mentioned above, our neighbors (with the same window layout) paid $10k to do 11 windows with a local contractor. That is still my plan/assumption
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 11-16-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

Sounds about right. Anderson guy gave me $21k for 7 windows today; said he "could do" 20% off, but still $17k... As I mentioned above, our neighbors (with the same window layout) paid $10k to do 11 windows with a local contractor. That is still my plan/assumption
    Such bullshit. It's $21k but I can take 20% off right now saving you $4k! Ya love to save money, right?

There is so much bloat in the Anderson "system" so many hands all wanting a piece of the pie.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Re Anderson: They came door knocking once asking to give us a proposal, then insisted that both my wife and I be present when they came to measure. Smelled like scammy high pressure tactics and overpriced windows so told them where to go.

I have a 300sf space, kitchen/dining/living room. I just put in a new kitchen and am looking at the floor. Subfloor is 2x6, 2x8, 2x whatever they had available i suspect with 1/4 plywood overtop. The floor is not level and not flat. Im going to use some self leveler to take out some of the wavyness but I'll end up with a hump in the room regardless of I do short of a filling the room with gallons of self leveler.

The room will see high traffic in summer especially if I airbnb the place (sleeps 10-12) in the summer so real wood might not be a good idea. I considered tile but not all that keen.

Does the collective have suggestions for flooring that will play nice on such a surface? No carpet, no linoleum. Was thinking some kinda vinyl planks but wondering if they'll bust at the click together if there is slight wave in the floor.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i don't know how old my roof is & every time i clean the gutters there's a small deposit of these grains
    it's a kind of sacrificial wear layer

The thing that does eventually stop is finding loose/never-installed roofing nails.
    I've been amazed at the nails found years after an install

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The grit/pebbles stop right around the time you need a new roof.
    Ha! Makes sense actually. thanks for the answers
    I know I never could have convinced my husband to keep the cedar shakes due to fire hazard (which obviously never had this issue for my beloved workout space) so I will just deal and have been keeping a broom out there and or roll out a fresh yoga mat
    skid luxury

Definitely do your self leveling mix in a garbage can. You can certainly do 10 bags at once and then just tip it over.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Definitely do your self leveling mix in a garbage can. You can certainly do 10 bags at once and then just tip it over.
    hey now hey now

i've moved on to a diy scree 2x4 plan, with one person manning the scree, one person marking, and two pouring and leveling.

barring that I'll just pay a professional to do it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    This. Plus if it really is 1/4 in ply this will add some nice structural integrity

What you really don't want to hear is you should cut out existing subflooring and re-level by sistering correct 2x per span with proper attachment.

Or just shim the fuck outta it and cover with LVP. Seems to be the preferred method lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I have a 300sf space, kitchen/dining/living room. I just put in a new kitchen and am looking at the floor. Subfloor is 2x6, 2x8, 2x whatever they had available i suspect with 1/4 plywood overtop. The floor is not level and not flat. Im going to use some self leveler to take out some of the wavyness but I'll end up with a hump in the room regardless of I do short of a filling the room with gallons of self leveler.

The room will see high traffic in summer especially if I airbnb the place (sleeps 10-12) in the summer so real wood might not be a good idea. I considered tile but not all that keen.

Does the collective have suggestions for flooring that will play nice on such a surface? No carpet, no linoleum. Was thinking some kinda vinyl planks but wondering if they'll bust at the click together if there is slight wave in the floor.
    If I’m understanding correctly AND this weird layup is limited to this room, I’d pull the weird 2x shit & install a 1” floor sheathing, shimming as needed to get it closer to flat. Then go to town with LVP for rental beatings.

You sure it’s not 1x?
    That is at least more traditional for old construction

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

The salesman tried to tell us that we could get a discount if we ordered them that day…we were both like “this clown needs to leave “ I’ll do it myself and not fuck it up and save $30,000
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Seems like they’re always able to find some excuse for a sale to be ending. “I can offer you a big discount, but our Rosh Hashana sale ends tonight”.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

How to drill quartz countertop?

Due to several issues (change in plans, provider etc) would need a hole in a quartz countertop to reroute an electric cable for a corner socket box.
    Basically drill a 8-10mm hole in the countertop near the back corner. Sooo...doable as DIY or better to hire some geezer with diamond drill bit?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    How to drill quartz countertop?

Due to several issues (change in plans, provider etc) would need a hole in a quartz countertop to reroute an electric cable for a corner socket box.
    Basically drill a 8-10mm hole in the countertop near the back corner. Sooo...doable as DIY or better to hire some geezer with diamond drill bit?
    If you can't use a holesaw to drill through the cabinet back/backsplash and fish a wire drilling it is. You can buy a diamond Hole-Saw and do it yourself fairly easy. Have a water bottle to keep water on it for dust and heat control. Start at an angle to get a notch to keep the bit from wandering then stand the drill up and go. Biggest issue is how far out you might have to start to get through the countertop since the drill will hit the backsplash possibly changing the angle to a point that you don't end up with a hole you can use.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

VTF is on in, I'm just use the high dollar pro hole saw on a grinder...but since your talk mm's...I'd go geezer.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    What you really don't want to hear is you should cut out existing subflooring and re-level by sistering correct 2x per span with proper attachment.

]
    Yep.

But if the garbage can self leveling method wins the day, please share a video of how that goes. Tgapp has really let us down on that front.

Re: costs for window replacement. I swapped 16 windows and 2 SGDs in a condo recently for a nice lady near Tahoe. The replacement windows were Milgard, a nicer vinyl than the base box store ones. She paid about $6k for the package. Labor (billed T&M at my usual rates, so no extra markup) was $11k. We were able to reuse the exterior trim (whole building needs new siding so why redo it in 2 years) and the interior was all 70s Tahoe wood so we just ripped the jambs down a bit and replaced them. The client is really happy with the result, and it worked with her budget.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post

We put a cork floor in the kitchen 1.5 years ago and are thrilled with it. If you can get 90% of the dips out the floating floors do a good job masking the rest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk