Check Out Our Shop
Page 385 of 388 FirstFirst ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 9693
    The 90 year old casements in our house are still going strong. No cranks and gears. The window and the screen are on separate mounts. You push the window and screen out, release the window by pusing a latch, and bring the screen back in. The Pellas we put in when we added a second story started rotting in 10 years, although we lived with them for another 20. We'll see how the Andersen replacements do. I like the composite they're made of anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The 90 year old casements in our house are still going strong. No cranks and gears. The window and the screen are on separate mounts. You push the window and screen out, release the window by pusing a latch, and bring the screen back in. The Pellas we put in when we added a second story started rotting in 10 years, although we lived with them for another 20. We'll see how the Andersen replacements do. I like the composite they're made of anyway.
    We have wood Anderson units and the truth cranks failed at about 10 years , one of the window cartridges failed at about 10 and they were rotten at about 12-15 years but I'm still living with it.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

My Airbnb techbro renter broke the porcelain soap dish off the shower wall tile

Is this gonna be a huge pain in the ass to fix? I’ve not effd around w tile in any real way previously. Do I attempt a diy or just cave and call a tile guy?

I’d attach a photo, but the box fan says not allowed

You can, if careful, "pop" the remnants off with a hammer and replace it with a new one
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    You can, if careful, "pop" the remnants off with a hammer and replace it with a new one
    If youre scared of tapping away at tile, grab a hand sander and mask and grind it down. Gorilla glue a new soap holder on there, and then caulk around it. Boom, like new.

Why would anyone want to make that kind of mess?

Stop. You're gonna sand down a tile soap dish?

Just assume it will be a pain in the dick. If I put it in, the backer will fail before the thinset...or maybe not.

You may get lucky at tap it with a hammer and it falls off. It really depends on the soap dish. The porcelain ones usually trim the surrounding tiles.

Basically what you are trying to do is removing from the middle out. What I normally do is drill a hole and then use a masonry bit to crack it then pry it out.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

I’ll have to take another look at what’s remaining on the wall but I think sanding successfully seems unlikely

I think the back of the dish is still stuck to the thunder and there are porcelain chunks in it. I’ll take another look in a bit and try to describe better

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I’ll have to take another look at what’s remaining on the wall but I think sanding successfully seems unlikely

I think the back of the dish is still stuck to the thunder and there are porcelain chunks in it. I’ll take another look in a bit and try to describe better
    If this is a short term rental, have you thought about just not fixing it and instead finding some kind of suctioncup soapholder on amazon that you can slap on the tile to hide the broken holder and provide a place for soap? You should always be weighing whether a fix is wanted or needed.

That’s a good point. I hadn’t considered that but should do some searching on things that would cover it. It’s pretty unsightly on my first look but maybe there’s some interim solution is possible. I fully intended to charge the renter for repairing this though as well.

Techbro probably broke the soap dish while banging in the shower and using it as a handle. Maybe new soap dish needs a higher load rating.

That is my guess as well. She/He put a foot on it for a better angle or something

We had one of those come off in our previous home. Not due to shower banging unfortunately, if I recall correctly, it got cracked and then I just took it off. I replaced it with another tile rather than dicking around trying to find a replacement soap dish.

Just hang a little sign above it.

“This soap dish broke off when it caught the face of a previous renter who did not put the shower curtain inside the tub.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If you think you can collect the cost of repair than hiring a pro is the obvious answer.

I agree. Although, I might go full slumlord and charge for the douchenozzle for a pro repair and then hang a sign over it like suggested above

Last edited by mcski; 04-19-2024 at 09:27 PM.

A little chipping, a little scraping, looks like a two beer job.

Yea, that's a simple fix. Pop out just the remnants and stick a new one in or also chip the two partials out and mastic a couple of tiles in.

$250

I currently have two hose bibs on the outside of my house, both with cold water only.

I ran one of them myself via sharkbite in my crawl space. It is working great.

One of the hose bibs is a few feet from a pex hot water line that services my master bathroom. Is there any reason not to tap into said hot water line to run hot water to a dual hot/ cold front free silcock/ hose bib for that side of the house? It seems like an easy upgrade that would make dog baths much more comfortable and would probably make cleaning bikes a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Yea, that's a simple fix. Pop out just the remnants and stick a new one in or also chip the two partials out and mastic a couple of tiles in.

$250
    Thanks. I had some handyman guy that was recommended to me give me an estimate of 400 + materials lol. Gtfo

The renter tried to claim that it happened the day he was leaving and he fell in the shower then wanted to know why I wasn’t concerned about his fall when I told him there would be a bill for the damage…Uh, because you’re lying the about the fall and the damage happened over a couple weeks ago. Nice try douche

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I currently have two hose bibs on the outside of my house, both with cold water only.

One of the hose bibs is a few feet from a pex hot water line that services my master bathroom. Is there any reason not to tap into said hot water line to run hot water to a dual hot/ cold front free silcock/ hose bib for that side of the house? It seems like an easy upgrade that would make dog baths much more comfortable and would probably make cleaning bikes a bit easier.
    Dammit, why didn't I think of that when I had a plumber put in a hose bib on the deck. A hot for filling the spa in the winter would be nice.

Make sure to send pics when you do it yourself and don't pay the handy $400. I'm guessing that the going rate around here. And don't use mastic or pre mix thinset in wet locations.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

I did this for the hose bib in my garage. Use it more then I originally thought I would. Your correct on the dog baths. I did mine at the same time I installed the water softener and used the soft water. Makes it nice for cleaning vehicles. No water spots. It seems the bugs come off better as well with warm water.

Is also picked up a stainless steel rolling table at Costco. I use this pressure washer on top of the table. With the hose and cord on a hook on the side. Keep all my chemicals/tools in a basket on the lower shelf along with this vacuum with the car cleaning accessory kit. I wheel the table out to the drive way hook up one of those expanding hoses to the warm water and go to it. I usually don't get the water very hot since I don't know if the pressure washer can handle a lot of heat. But the warm water makes a huge difference cleaning.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

We have two hot/cold hose bibs and one cold only hose bib at my house. Never use the cold only anymore!

Mind blown about hot cold frost proof spigots.
    Did
    Not
    Know

Thx
    PS. Dog thanks you. Winter cold rinses make her unhappy
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.