Page 85 of 385 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 9618
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Could just try digging the post hole to the correct depth.
    I kid, I kid.
    Most always set in hole to height. This property has a concrete footing perimeter which is wild in this area, being a 1/4 acre in size. Anyhow roto hammered post holders...

Assuming it actually tracks with the prop line, that sounds like it might have been easier than digging & pouring post holes
    (tho it may be unfortunate for drainage)

So I had never really checked out a rotor hammer before.
    Watched a few videos, I could definitely use that for that gig where I need to break some concrete slab. But it doesn’t sound very applicable to actual fence post concrete removal.
    In drill mode, can you use it like an impact wrench, because that’s a toy on my list as well. If not, not sure what else is use the roto hammer for currently. The one gig breaking the slab to set a post would pay for a HF model though. Would be the same price as renting a jackhammer from HD. Rental lines are long, every time I’ve been in there. Renting sucks. Could check United rentals or something but still. Whole concept annoys me.

I mostly use my roto hammer to drill into slabs/footings for attaching plate material with either titan bolts or redheads. I have used it plenty to chisel away concrete as well but usually smaller areas. If I remember the Milwaukee runs about $180 with the bigger one a bit more. And we're not talking those small drills that have a "roto" combo. Those are fine if you're only drilling for 1/4in tapcons but not 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4in hardware. Not sure about using as an impact wrench but maybe we're talking about different beasts.

Interesting. So I guess I could use it to set bolts in brick houses, which is a different application I haven’t delved into yet but people are requesting.

If I’m going to buy/try a tool, I sometimes just go with a HF model first and upgrade if I break it. So the HF rotor hammer drill looks pretty beefy. Two handles. $99-$119 before coupon. I’ll post a link later.

ETA although brick houses around here are circa 1924, and my 20 year old black and decker 1/4 inch drill could bust through that with the right bit I’d imagine. But anyway. Need to break some 4 inch slab for a post. Did the previous by hand with a misery bar. Kinda hurt.

You can definitely use it for drilling out brick. I have done structural remodel/framing on a schoolhouse circa 1900. Its a bit disconcerting how some of the brick just crumbles. Most times you are required to use sleeves and 2 part adhesive.

Does the slab have to go away or could you just drill into the slab and attach a post base? It's also fairly easy to drill into slab a few places with a bigger drill bit and then use a chisel(again in roto hammer) to break out larger pieces.

No, I need to preserve the slab, which was my concern with a jack hammer (or breaker now as I see they are called)

So I see what you’re getting at, to perforate the brick with the drill bit in roto mode before breaking the square out with spade. Very cool.
    So yeah pretty much sold. Will be a bonus if I can use it as an impact wrench for a stuck bolt or two on a truck but no biggie if not.

Rotohammer is the drill equivalent of an impact driver on steroids. Great for drilling concrete and masonry. Can be used for demo on a very small scale, but it's no air hammer.

And a rotohammer better have two handles. Hold onto both of them or your wrist will hate you and your Dr. will cash in another boat payment.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Know where I could potentially get a meaningful discount if I purchased around 8 appliances at once? Or is that simply not a game anyone plays unless they are dealing with a developer buying hundreds of these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Know where I could potentially get a meaningful discount if I purchased around 8 appliances at once? Or is that simply not a game anyone plays unless they are dealing with a developer buying hundreds of these things?
    With Home Depot in the game the margin is so small anyway.

I've had success with getting discounts at a small, local appliance store. They know they're up against the big box stores, and they're more flexible in putting together a deal.

If you don't have a Chase Sapphire Preferred you get 60,000 points on $4k in purchases first three months. It's like $750 value. I did that.

If you're in that price point, Thermador is having a pretty good rebate running right now.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    If you're in that price point, Thermador is having a pretty good rebate running right now.
    8 appliances are going to be more than $4k no matter what price point.

I dont really want to squeeze the little guys these days - would rather stick it to the big guys a bit more, but they are big for a reason so looks like less options there. Home Depot does have a decent 4th of July sale it seems. Guys from Albert Lee, who work on commission I believe, didnt really present any attractive bulk options.

When we bought ours there was a deal if you bought all same manufacturer they had "cash back" ended up about $1K off (as a refund). Most large manufacturers run programs like this. I suggest going to an appliance store rather than big box. Find out their deals. We also did a 3 year warranty, but ours came with the benefit of if we don't use it we get 50% back. We did frige, dishwasher, stove and hood all same manufacturer. Didnt fit our need for the microwave, but we did buy via same store for ease. we were still at about $7K and we didnt get full pro level.

For homeowner use a hammer drill works fine for drilling bolt holes up to at least 1/2 in in brick or concrete, although it failed at granite. A roto hammer seems more tool than needed for that job unless there are a lot of holes to drill.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    I'm on the email lists of a few higher end appliance manufacturers. They all seem to be having volume purchase incentives going on right now, and they all use similar wording 'as our partners and design centers continue to reopen...'.

IME it's well worth it to visit the so-called design centers of the major manufacturers. Go to more than one, compare things, see all the new technology available. The staff are way more knowledgeable then anyone at an appliance dealer. On weekends these centers have cooking demonstrations using their coolest new appliances, and you get to sample the offerings for free. This was before the shutdown.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Putting in a 20'x20' gravel fire pit / seating area.

Recommendations on what to use for the gravel? Squeegee (leaning this way)? Pea Gravel? Some kind of crusher fines? This is all new to me. It'll get used frequently, and will be in part of the yard the dog runs through a good bit. Climate is Denver.

Thinking of using some kind of cedar boards for an edging material? With rebar to set it.

Landscape fabric underneath. Build the edging box. Fill with material.

What steps am I missing?

Get the finest crushed gravel stuff that packs down. I did a non-packing surface for a small area years ago and still regret it every time I pick the chunks out of the deck cracks, or step on the ones that made it into the house. A re-do is on my COVID project list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Get the finest crushed gravel stuff that packs down. I did a non-packing surface for a small area years ago and still regret it every time I pick the chunks out of the deck cracks, or step on the ones that made it into the house. A re-do is on my COVID project list.
    How do you keep the grass/weeds out of that stuff? I have a gravel extension from my driveway to my shed and despite the landscape fabric and spraying, every winter the whole thing explodes in greenery...takes a whole day of scraping and pulling to clean out every spring. Mind you I am not spraying in winter or early spring...is there a perm solution or at least less time consuming than I am currently doing?

That's why I was leaning towards squeegee (https://www.bedrocklandscapingmateri...-page/squeegee). Smaller than pea to pack down. Was thinking 2" of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    That's why I was leaning towards squeegee (https://www.bedrocklandscapingmateri...-page/squeegee). Smaller than pea to pack down. Was thinking 2" of depth.
    Whats the total cost savings over doing flagstone?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Significant. And this will probably only be in place for ~5 years. It's in the way of a future house expansion.

Flagstone covers ~120sqft per ton, at about $250-300/ton. So ~$1200 in just the stone.

Squeegee is $30 per ton, need about 4 tons for 20'x20' at 2" depth. $120.

Add delivery to both.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    HHHUUUUDDDDDGGGGGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.