Page 90 of 380 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 9497
    I used GoBoard recently on a shower, converted from one piece tub/shower to walk in, and used GoBoard. Found it very easy to use and will be using it on my next project. Coupled it with the awesome Kerdi drain pan. And my supplier [Best Tile] had tubes of GoBoard sealant.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!

How to keep glass and tile shower surfaces clean?

I have a glass and tile shower that I can't keep clean.

First the glass door/wall. No matter what I use the water stains – hard water and-or soap scum – show up again after one or two uses. Latest method is to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I literally have to wipe down the inside glass surfaces every other shower use.

The tile floor in the shower is another problem. There’s a film that constantly develops, it can get thick enough to call a layer, of soap scum and hard water. The film is slightly tinted grey. Chemicals (scrubbing bubbles, etc) don’t work.

Latest approach is to mist with vinegar, let sit for 60 seconds, spray with water and dilute dishwashing detergent, and scrum with a stiff bristle brush. After three applications this technique sort of cleans. Then two or three weeks later the film returns. Hand scraping with a plastic putty knife is the only method I’ve tried that gets 100% of the film up. But doing so is a huge pain.

I’ve tried different bath soaps, and I know there are minerals the city water. The usually helpful Youtube if not so helpful in this situation.

Any tried and true advice out there?

“The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Get your water tested and condition accordingly.

You can try one of those electronic descalers but I have no experience with them to know if they actually work.

Even with city water you may need a water softener.

Squeegee the glass immediately after every shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    I have a glass and tile shower that I can't keep clean.

First the glass door/wall. No matter what I use the water stains – hard water and-or soap scum – show up again after one or two uses. Latest method is to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I literally have to wipe down the inside glass surfaces every other shower use.

The tile floor in the shower is another problem. There’s a film that constantly develops, it can get thick enough to call a layer, of soap scum and hard water. The film is slightly tinted grey. Chemicals (scrubbing bubbles, etc) don’t work.

Latest approach is to mist with vinegar, let sit for 60 seconds, spray with water and dilute dishwashing detergent, and scrum with a stiff bristle brush. After three applications this technique sort of cleans. Then two or three weeks later the film returns. Hand scraping with a plastic putty knife is the only method I’ve tried that gets 100% of the film up. But doing so is a huge pain.

I’ve tried different bath soaps, and I know there are minerals the city water. The usually helpful Youtube if not so helpful in this situation.

For the glass, once you get it clean, Rain-x it. No joke. Water can't leave a film if it isn't there.

And then keep a squeege in the shower and wipe it down after every use.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Keeping the shower door clean wasn't an issue until we switched to clear glass.

Vinegar's cheap, try blocking the drain, pouring enough vinegar to cover the floor of the shower, then let it sit overnight. Overnight vinegar soak is recommended for cleaning hard water deposits off shower heads, it should work on a tile floor too. You could also try scrubbing with a paste of baking soda and a little bit of water, that takes pretty much everything off our porcelain tub.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Vinegar's cheap, try blocking the drain, pouring enough vinegar to cover the floor of the shower, then let it sit overnight. Overnight vinegar soak is recommended for cleaning hard water deposits off shower heads, it should work on a tile floor too. You could also try scrubbing with a paste of baking soda and a little bit of water, that takes pretty much everything off our porcelain tub.
    Interesting idea. Only hesitation I have is vinegar may be really bad for grout, but I can't find anything specifying that definitively.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

Vinegar followed by baking soda is the This Old House recommended method for cleaning grout FWIW. Good luck finding enough vinegar to cover the floor of a shower. Might try just sponging or squirting it on and letting it sit.

This is why we have pandemics, so we have the time to clean our grout and do other stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    For the glass, once you get it clean, Rain-x it. No joke. Water can't leave a film if it isn't there.

And then keep a squeege in the shower and wipe it down after every use.
    This. You need a hydrophobic treatment so the water and scum runs down before it can dry.

I don’t squeegee, but I recoat the glass every 6 months. If I had hard water, I would squeegee every time.

I clean the glass when it’s dirty with a plastic loofah with a squirt of shampoo. Rinse with handheld.

I don’t use rainex. But it will work.
    This shit is the best
    https://dfisolutions.com/

Glass rescue cream is the best once you have mineral buildup.
    Then use clear shield or revitalizer every few months.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Butyl gets gooey when hot.
    Maybe foam backer rod and polyurethane or silicone caulk?

No idea on solar panel gaps, but do some research before using butyl tape. It’s usually used under glass panels, not to fill the gaps.
    Thanks. We did silicone the horizontal gap as it was about 1/8". Trying the butyl first as the gap is a 1/2 inch, using 1" tape. My concern is UV, but it's supposed to be stable. Backer rod and silicone is back up plan and we may need to go that route. Bit of leaking but I haven't had a chance to use a hose to track down exactly how.

After every shower, wipe walls and floor with a dry towel to remove any water
    before it evaporates.

As long as we're getting into housecleaning nerdery, I used carnauba wax on a stainless sink, a stainless fridge, and a porcelain sink and am wishing I thought of doing it a long time ago. Makes all of those surfaces easier to clean. One of those sinks was the kitchen sink, so I looked for a product that didn't advertise a bunch of additives you don't want around food prep areas.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Vinegar followed by baking soda is the This Old House recommended method for cleaning grout FWIW. Good luck finding enough vinegar to cover the floor of a shower. Might try just sponging or squirting it on and letting it sit.

This is why we have pandemics, so we have the time to clean our grout and do other stuff like that.
    Here's the TOH video you are are referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifeSybjr2RY

I've tried it and it does work to clean grout.

Keep in mind the greyish layer I'm asking about is on the shower floor tile surfaces not on or in the grout lines. I'm real hesitant to let a few gallons of vinegar cover the shower floor overnight, I suspect that bad for grout, premature failure and cracking. Note in the TOH video they pour some vinegar on the grout lines and then after a minute or two scrub in some water/detergent/baking soda mixture, i.e., very quickly dilute and them sponge up the vinegar.

Here's the TOH video you are are referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifeSybjr2RY

I've tried it and it does work to clean grout.

Keep in mind the greyish layer I'm asking about is on the shower floor tile surfaces not on or in the grout lines. I'm real hesitant to let a few gallons of vinegar cover the shower floor overnight, I suspect that bad for grout, premature failure and cracking. Note in the TOH video they pour some vinegar on the grout lines and then after a minute or two scrub in some water/detergent/baking soda mixture, i.e., very quickly dilute and them sponge up the vinegar.
    I hadn't thought of that, but Google confirms your concern: https://www.homestratosphere.com/is-...ile-and-grout/. Maybe try the shorter exposure then, not overnight.

Someone asked me to cut a dead little tree down, dig out the root ball and plant a new one. So I grab a bunch of various tools, load up head over. Yuppy Dinks in a 2 million dollar house. Give her a pitch for those items and then some free advice on the Japanese beetles eating her cool birch tree and advice on some other stuff. Then she wants to sleep on doing the work. Ok no biggie. She texts back 4 days later would I still cut the tree down but she’s going to try to get the city to plant a new tree. Sure no problem. The cutting the dead tree part I bid at $100. Before I load up this time she tries to pinch me for $20. I mean seriously. Make me drive over twice, take the free advice, cut the job in half and then try to bargain? If she was elderly or disabled etc I would have done it for $40. But this person is probably going to spend $100 on shoes today that she won’t even wear. So I stuck to $100 and she cancels the gig. Some people are so lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Someone asked me to cut a dead little tree down, dig out the root ball and plant a new one. So I grab a bunch of various tools, load up head over. Yuppy Dinks in a 2 million dollar house. Give her a pitch for those items and then some free advice on the Japanese beetles eating her cool birch tree and advice on some other stuff. Then she wants to sleep on doing the work. Ok no biggie. She texts back 4 days later would I still cut the tree down but she’s going to try to get the city to plant a new tree. Sure no problem. The cutting the dead tree part I bid at $100. Before I load up this time she tries to pinch me for $20. I mean seriously. Make me drive over twice, take the free advice, cut the job in half and then try to bargain? If she was elderly or disabled etc I would have done it for $40. But this person is probably going to spend $100 on shoes today that she won’t even wear. So I stuck to $100 and she cancels the gig. Some people are so lame.
    And I'm sure she likes to complain to her friends about how hard it is to find a good contractor

And I'm sure she likes to complain to her friends about how hard it is to find a good contractor
    If only there was some way to work it so that unreliable contractors and unreliable homeowners could only find each other, everybody who doesn't enjoy dicking people around and wasting people's time could have much more enjoyable and productive lives.

What’s the collectives thought on paint quality?

Regardless of brands there seems to be 4 levels:
    - Super cheapo
    - Cheapish
    - Pricey
    - Super pricey

My house was a flip and hence is painted with super cheapo - if I breathe on it, it gets scuffed....

My gut tells me the second from the top is what to go with as the top of the line would add a bunch of cost without that much improvement... I follow this logic with most things in life (bikes, skis, restaurants, tools, cars, etc..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Top shelf paint goes on like buttah. Colors are better too. Worth it.

I second that. It’s worth the money to get good paint.

Top of the line, all day every day, except for ceilings. And if you are putting anything but flat white on the ceiling...why?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Top of the line, all day every day, except for ceilings. And if you are putting anything but flat white on the ceiling...why?
    Definitely top of the line paint.

I used a dark paint in a hallway and a white ceiling looked ridiculous.

Maybe it was your dark walls that looked ridiculous.