Page 48 of 384 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 9597
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'd kinda written off dewalt - the internet consensus seems to be that the older stuff was good, but quality has dropped off in the last decade or so. But I dunno.
    I'm not buying Dewalt. Too many stories plus personal experience of batteries failing quickly and motors burning.

I suggest choosing between Makita and Milwaukee. If you want a third add Porter Cable. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of the first two. Just make sure it's brushless.

Buy hilti if your dentist dollars allow. I have an impact and sawzall and they cannot be beat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    Buy hilti if your dentist dollars allow. I have an impact and sawzall and they cannot be beat.

Bro in law does Hilti for nail guns and some other tools too. Also has a sweet DeWalt battery operated mitre/chop saw with a nice stand. 2 big batteries. Lots of job sites don't have power or easy access/hassle with gennies batteries work for lots but he said the framing nailers aren't there yet.

Side note I bought one of those battery op blowers for easy quick cleanups. Works nice and the Ryobi has a bunch of other garden type tools.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I spec composites every time. Usually Trex. The lack of any needed maintenance, comfort under foot for bare feet, and lack of movement over time make it a no brainer unless the client is desperate for wood. If they are then it’s Ipe or nothing. But I do my best to stay away from Ipe because I like rainforests.

Composites every time. Simply a far superior product.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Haven’t read all thru the thread but noticed trex. We just got a quote of $55k for a full replacement for our wood deck on a newly purchased but not new home. The deck is 10-15 yo.

That was a spit take quote. The contractor must have seen the nitrous tank and assumed I was a dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What's the current consensus on the best bet for cordless tools? My current tools are mostly corded, but I have a couple bigger projects on the horizon that warrant buying some cordless stuff - I might buy one of those kits that includes a few batteries and a drill / sawzall / circular saw / etc.

Leaning Milwaukee, but open to suggestions.
    I own all Makita. I have no issues with their products for homeowner use. I bought them originally because I got a driver / drill combo on sale. Since then I have picked up a bunch of other pieces (hedge trimmer, string trimmer, blower, sawzall, etc...) and have been happy with everything.

At work, my carpenters and laborers use Dewalt. That’s because we have a national account at Whitecap and Whitecap sells yellow stuff. My guys will burn through a dewalt driver in about 2 years, if it doesn’t get stolen in those two years... Which is 1000s of hours of real use. Dewalt is fine for a homeowner, in 10 years you won’t come close to driving the amount of 3” #10s my guys do in a year... don’t read to much into the Dewalt hate, their stuff is fine. Most of the industry runs Dewalt because of Whitecap and Grainger.

Milwaukee is nicer but it’s overkill for homeowner use. Only buy it if it’s a good deal.

Hilti is WAY overkill for homeowner use. Their shit is awesome though. Check out their torque wrench power pack for the driver, cool shit.

Honestly, the discount big box brands like Ryobi and Rigid are what we should all be buying as homeowners. Yes, they are not built for industry use. But for the amount you actually use the thing the price savings is worth it. You might be able to get a few more pieces for the same money...

Also, I buy unbranded batteries from amazon for 1/2 price of the name brand.... maybe one day my garage will burn down but for now I saved $60.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

In case anyone still isn't familiar with AVE/BOLTR

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    The contractor must have seen the nitrous tank and assumed I was a dentist.
    noice

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    In case anyone still isn't familiar with AVE/BOLTR

Wow, that was an interesting watch, thx

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Wow, that was an interesting watch, thx
    ...and another one goes down the rabbit hole.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post

Buy Festool, except for the Milwaukee Super Sawzall, I did recently got a Makita 18v sub-compact set that I’ve been happy with so far it’s light weight, smaller great battery life
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	291886

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	291887
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ...and another one goes down the rabbit hole.
    Yup. I even know the dangers and I still just got sucked into a 30 minute video of.him fixing a German tourist's bike's suspension linkage by making his own pin from a block of chromoly.

yeah but snoqpass^^^ probably doesn't want to watch the festool ones.

Have you watched any of Colin Furze’s vidoes? The guy makes some really cool shit. The thermite launcher could be in t gondola thread
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I have always used drills but recently discovered the benefit of impact drivers. Ordered both a makita 12v impact and a hex drill driver. Is this totally redundant or is it nice to have a smoother more adjustable hex drill in addition to the impact?

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Have you watched any of Colin Furze’s vidoes? The guy makes some really cool shit. The thermite launcher could be in t gondola thread
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI
    Haven't yet but will check them out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    I have always used drills but recently discovered the benefit of impact drivers. Ordered both a makita 12v impact and a hex drill driver. Is this totally redundant or is it nice to have a smoother more adjustable hex drill in addition to the impact?
    Not redundant. You will learn to use them for different things, but I would have preferred an impact and standard chuck.

12v I would not invest in, however.

If one has a standard chuck drill is impact driver and hex drill driver redundant?

Sometimes you have to do some drilling
    Sometimes you have to do some driving
    Sometimes you have to do a bit of both

Like the other guy said 12v isn’t worth it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    If one has a standard chuck drill is impact driver and hex drill driver redundant?
    Standard chuck is better than hex. Standard makes hex redundant. Hex doesn't quite replace standard though.

Impact is a different thing used for different tasks - not redundant.

This post, however, is redundant. My bad on that.

For sanding stuff down quickly
    with minimal dust it’s hard to beat the Rotex sander with the extractor hooked up to it

Name:	IMG_0502.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	715.7 KB 
ID:	292061

My laundry room gets hot as fuck. Probably 15deg hotter than the rest of the house. Combination of three issues best I can tell:

1) There is a large window that faces west and gets blasted by sun in the afternoon. Any advice on insulating shades? (cellular shades, solar shades, etc...). Are they worth a damn?

2) The water heater is in there, naked. I wonder if I frame it in, rigid insulation, make it look like a cabinet.... would that make a difference? I think the window is more of the issue...

3) Washer / dryer heatin it up. Nothing really I can do there. I think the issues above are more the cause...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    My laundry room gets hot as fuck. Probably 15deg hotter than the rest of the house. Combination of three issues best I can tell:

1) There is a large window that faces west and gets blasted by sun in the afternoon. Any advice on insulating shades? (cellular shades, solar shades, etc...). Are they worth a damn?

2) The water heater is in there, naked. I wonder if I frame it in, rigid insulation, make it look like a cabinet.... would that make a difference? I think the window is more of the issue...

3) Washer / dryer heatin it up. Nothing really I can do there. I think the issues above are more the cause...

If the laundry room window is inconspicuous from the outside hang cheap roller shades from the underside of the eaves, if available. We have some bamboo shades that have held up surprisingly well, although we get zero rain in the summer. In a situation where you don't need to be raising and lowering constantly and where appearance is not an issue, shades outside the window are more effective.

How old is the water heater. If not recent either put a blanket around it or replace it. The new ones are already well insulated.

I assume the dryer is properly vented to the outside.

Wash with cold water.

And the most important thing--spend as little time as possible in the laundry room and the heat won't bother you.

Does it matter what R13 batt I buy? Johns Manville, Owens Corning, etc? Cheaper to buy uncut rolls or really not worth some savings for my time to cut everything? I have maybe 25 batts i need to cut or buy pre-cut.

I'm installing in bare framing (16" studs) with no drywall on either sides.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Does it matter what R13 batt I buy? Johns Manville, Owens Corning, etc? Cheaper to buy uncut rolls or really not worth some savings for my time to cut everything? I have maybe 25 batts i need to cut or buy pre-cut.

I'm installing in bare framing (16" studs) with no drywall on either sides.
    Brand doesn't matter, no real difference between brands. Pre cuts are 93", so if that works in your bays go for it to avoid the hassle of cutting.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Realtor sent me some pics last night, wanted to know if I had time to fix this mess. Thankfully not available. 16 yo house, new owner from Baltimore, came up last week to close on the sale with his family and fix a few bad cedar clapboards. Opened a huge can of worms.

Name:	imagejpeg_2001.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	292096

Name:	imagejpeg_1001.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	292097
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime