Page 280 of 384 FirstFirst ... 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 7,000 of 9595
    Thanks. PEX does sound like a good idea. There is red PEX running along the roof of my basement that transitions to the white under the crawlspace under the porch- not sure what the logic was to go to copper, but I have attached the picture of the hose shutoff to give some idea (guess I should be thankful it's there at all).

Access is not great to the crawl, hopefully I can make the connection outside- in the photo I'm pulling it out to it's limit. Maybe I'll try to reuse the copper fitting to give myself another inch or two.

Not sure how the hose bib is connected to the copper, I'd like to salvage it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4599.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,005.5 KB 
ID:	420416

Tha fuck is going on there? That’s your hose shut off? Is that the supply line to your water heater? A bunch of threaded copper that gets in the way of the valve handle? Blue thread sealant?

Anyways, the hose bib assembly probably came like that from the store. The copper length is nice and stiff so you can jam it through the hole. That’s what it’s for and why it is.
    focus.

I would order one of these hose bibs and crimp it on, shark bite is nice and easy but not something I'm keen to use in a cold area that is difficult to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Anyways, the hose bib assembly probably came like that from the store. The copper length is nice and stiff so you can jam it through the hole. That’s what it’s for and why it is.
    This.

You have a frost free hose bib, normally that is installed on a house wall and the length of the copper tube moves the shutoff location inside your heated basement so the pipe can't freeze.

Not very useful for your setup, as you can see.

As for the shutoff, pull the nut off and turn it with an adjustable wrench or pliers to close the valve.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

All the handle valves I’ve seen are in-line on, perpendicular off. He should be able to shut it off fine. Just can’t turn it all the way on. Also probably fine, but why do it that way at all?

Janky.

But yeah, if it’s me I put a new assembly on there. Maybe run pex back to the house, maybe have another valve just inside the heated space with a blowout so you can clear that line in the winter. You can’t fix what you have. The actual valve is at the end of that copper section.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    I would order one of these hose bibs and crimp it on, shark bite is nice and easy but not something I'm keen to use in a cold area that is difficult to inspect.
    Shark bites are legal in a wall. Crazy.
    I’m Australia they use them all the time on new construction.

This one is weird. Going under a porch. It’s not going to gravity drain. That’s why the copper burst. Pex might take the freeze. Or it might burst every winter

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Meanwhile, how to move a big 56” 23 drawer 600lbs (empty) tool chest.
    Movers don’t have the manpower right now to manage.
    Gonna Uhaul this and some other things.
    Main priority is, nobody dies.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-56...BB2S/303412321
    Last edited by jm2e; 07-01-2022 at 04:13 PM.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Where's it moving from and to? Are you doing garage-->uhaul trailer-->garage? Or more like basement-->uhaul truck-->up two flights of stairs?

How'd you get it to its current location?

Link just brings me to the home Depot main page, but I'm broadly familiar with what you're talking about. I will vouch for it to be a bad idea for one person to try to unload a full stacked set of the smaller box, particularly while trying to control decent from above on the ramp. I might have pulled out off had I been below the damn thing, but it has been somewhat out of square ever since

So I'd make sure that you have the person who most closely resembles an ox guide it from below as you go down the ramp. Otherwise I'd suggest as many people as you can manage as well as maximizing your mechanical advantage whenever possible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

It’s got wheels, what’s the issue? If you are really worried try local riggers.

Well, between the fittings and the pex tool rental it was cheaper to just replace it with another frost free bib. I did not get the vacuum fitting/antisiphon valve, just the basic one.

When I turn the hose off, the residual pressure causes a leak at the screw to the valve handle for a few minutes. If I release the water from my hose (gun sprayer), no more dripping. I can see this being just the way it is due to the pressure, or is this thing garbage and worth returning as it will get worse, etc.? Old one did not do that.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    Well, between the fittings and the pex tool rental it was cheaper to just replace it with another frost free bib. I did not get the vacuum fitting/antisiphon valve, just the basic one.

When I turn the hose off, the residual pressure causes a leak at the screw to the valve handle for a few minutes. If I release the water from my hose (gun sprayer), no more dripping. I can see this being just the way it is due to the pressure, or is this thing garbage and worth returning as it will get worse, etc.? Old one did not do that.

Thanks for all the help.
    No. It shouldn’t just leak. Are you taking about at the outside handle? Or the inside shutoff valve?

Also, what’s your plan for winter?
    focus.

I recently moved a bunch of tools and other heavy shit including a toolbox even bigger than that. I rented a commercial box truck with a liftgate. It was expensive but way easier than yeeting the toolbox off a uhaul ramp.

Thanks for all the help.
    Take wrench and loosen a bit and then tighten it. If you really want to get all jiggy take it out then grease the seal with some silicone grease or Vaseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    No. It shouldn’t just leak. Are you taking about at the outside handle? Or the inside shutoff valve?

Also, what’s your plan for winter?
    Yeah, the outside handle. Seems to drip from the screw in the 'knob'. Only happens when there is pressure in the hose, but then stops after a little while.

For winter, plan was to shut it off inside and drain what I can. I'm in Seattle so not too much freezing here. I feel like the timing of the antisiphon fitting failing was too coincidental- my wife should have noticed water pouring out from under the porch a couple weeks ago if it froze this winter but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Take wrench and loosen a bit and then tighten it. If you really want to get all jiggy take it out then grease the seal with some silicone grease or Vaseline.
    I just bought this thing today! I was actually thinking I probably overpaid in my haste to get the plants watered- if the 'frostproof' part is useless under my porch I should have just bought the cheap bib and a 6" pipe and called it a day.

Go get some ratchet straps to wrap around the box and use a cheap manual winch to pull it up the ramp of a U-Haul. Just have a second person to help guide the thing. You'll spend more time getting the supplies and truck than you will loading/unloading the damn thing.

I feel like the timing of the antisiphon fitting failing was too coincidental- my wife should have noticed water pouring out from under the porch a couple weeks ago if it froze this winter but who knows.
    Well, no. It will only leak when you’re using it with the breach you posted.

I think an extra few bucks to actually fix it so you can properly winterize the setup would have been money well spent. But maybe you’ll be fine for the next few years as is.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Where's it moving from and to? Are you doing garage-->uhaul trailer-->garage? Or more like basement-->uhaul truck-->up two flights of stairs?

How'd you get it to its current location?
    Garage > Truck > Garage.
    Original delivery by Home Depot crew.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I recently moved a bunch of tools and other heavy shit including a toolbox even bigger than that. I rented a commercial box truck with a liftgate. It was expensive but way easier than yeeting the toolbox off a uhaul ramp.
    Good idea. Will look into the lift gate truck. Only moving it a couple hours down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

If you're moving it boxed you can rent a pallet jack to move it on and off the truck. If it is boxed somet hing like that may well be attached to a pallet.
    I assume you're too far from the store for free delivery.

Garage > Truck > Garage.
    Original delivery by Home Depot crew.

Good idea. Will look into the lift gate truck. Only moving it a couple hours down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You might get a LTL quote for a lift gate truck with pallet jack as well if it's a few hours away. You'll pay a few hundred just in mileage for a truck rental. Also take a look at U haul trailer rental for that thing. 600 pounds isn't that difficult to move with 2-3 people since it's on wheels.

Thanks for all the help.
    Garbage manufacturing quality control they sell you these days.

I think this what you mean:

If you want to fix the leak - In your photo of the old one there is a hex nut over the shaft
    in between the handle and the body. There is packing inside there which is supposed to seal
    that. You could try to SLIGHTLY tighten that. 1)open faucet
    2) slightly tighten 3) test.

If that does not fix it you can 1) remove handle 2) remove hex nut 3) replace packing
    4) reassemble.

or

Take it back to the box store and go to a plumbing supply house and buy a higher quality faucet.

Although that's probably no guarantee either these days.

I'm about to fix one myself that has started dripping under pressure.
    Maybe I'll post up some repair pics.
    Last edited by Ski220; 07-02-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Change instructions

Often on older faucets the hex nut become slightly loose with use. Simple one minute fix. Turn on water slightly and tighten the hex nut slightly. Leakage should stop.

Name:	C461256B-FCE4-4AF6-B35F-57B912D4F971.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	420503

Name:	5B4C5E7B-EA41-498A-B465-E7BED9686A4A.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	388.4 KB 
ID:	420504

Name:	6F4034E8-8C66-434B-8CE6-29C26EF63E9A.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	420505

Nice pics.

But it’s not the hex nut that gets loose.
    It’s the packing washer under the hex nut. They get old.
    Tightening the packing nut will buy you some time.

Once upon a time washers like that got replaced. Along with the stop washer that opens the flow.

And back a few posts. Fuck pex tools. Just shark bite it.

Thanks for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post

Take it back to the box store and go to a plumbing supply house and buy a higher quality faucet.

Although that's probably no guarantee either these days.
    Yeah, this was from a plumbing supply house. I brought in the old split one and the first thing the guy said to me was just wrap it. I think I'm just going to return it and go pex and sharkbite- though not sure how I am going to connect the hose bib to the pex without a tool.

Thanks for the pictures.

Yeah, this was from a plumbing supply house. I brought in the old split one and the first thing the guy said to me was just wrap it. I think I'm just going to return it and go pex and sharkbite- though not sure how I am going to connect the hose bib to the pex without a tool.
    Sometimes a quick lose and retighten will reseal the packing material. They also sell Teflon packing material that you just wrap once in the stem specifically for your issue. It's under $5 and you won't have to deal with reengineering the whole thing.