Page 87 of 383 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 9565
    roundup is a pretty safe product, just use it as sparingly as you can and not where it can get into streamwater. for some jobs it is the best tool. Sometimes it's about the only tool. Fortunately Japanese Knotweed doesn't like glyphosphate.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You need to ask the head groundskeeper to help you out.
    He did give a 5 gallon bucket of the seed they use on the rough. And told me to spread something, but I can't remember if it was manure or what...

I'm sure he'd do it near the end of the season but I'd like a head start.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

did you miss the post about never using steer manure?

I did see that one. Compost seems like it might be similarly full of weed seeds (the local compost place took my truckload of weeds). I'm not even sure what is in peat moss.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

When I was a gardener the boss was fond of stuff called Milorganite--made from Milwaukee sewage.
    We have clay soil. I'd use commercial bagged compost and work as much into the soil as you can. You would like the top 6 inches or more to be about 50/50 soil and compost but it depends on how hard you want to work.

IMO, never use peat moss. To acidic.
    Trying to start grass in the middle of the summer is a losing proposition. Will need water 3x a day at least. Fall is best. Use a good quality topping. And the proper seed for the exposure and climate.

Roundup when used correctly is OK. According to product info is biodegradable in soil. Just don't spray yourself or your clothes.

Edit: looks like shitty soil. Mix in some composted manure or other good fortified soil first. NOT H.D. bagged crap. Talk to the groundskeeper again. Maybe some stuff can fall off the truck.

Thanks all, sounds like I should stay on the weeds until fall, then plant.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

My AC isn’t keeping up on hot days. The air handler and ducting are in the hot AF attic space so I’m going to try some fans to pull in cooler air. I have gable vents. Any reason to go with something other than a gable fan?

We have two separate attic spaces. The high one has vents on both ends to a fan should be effective. Lower roof only has one gable vent. How can I pull outside air for that one? No ridge or soffit venting, unfortunately. I was thinking I could drill a few 4” holes in the soffits and cover with mesh, but I really have no idea what I’m doing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

In the meantime you could get a compost pile going and throw your weeds in there (and your steer manure, if that's what you have) and the heat should kill everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    In the meantime you could get a compost pile going and throw your weeds in there (and your steer manure, if that's what you have) and the heat should kill everything.
    Fucking Bandini Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    My AC isn’t keeping up on hot days. The air handler and ducting are in the hot AF attic space so I’m going to try some fans to pull in cooler air. I have gable vents. Any reason to go with something other than a gable fan?

We have two separate attic spaces. The high one has vents on both ends to a fan should be effective. Lower roof only has one gable vent. How can I pull outside air for that one? No ridge or soffit venting, unfortunately. I was thinking I could drill a few 4” holes in the soffits and cover with mesh, but I really have no idea what I’m doing.
    I would do a roof mount power vent, but be aware, even with the best noise rating and isolation, they can be loud if you're a light sleeper and they run at night.

Are your HVAC ducts insulated?

The compost we get from the local landscape supply company is the best thing for growing things here. A little ripe smelling for a week. The foot of rain we had this spring helped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG2255.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	333510

I tossed a heavy dose of grass seed on what was left after spreading the pile we had delivered in May.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG2404.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	333512
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I would do a roof mount power vent, but be aware, even with the best noise rating and isolation, they can be loud if you're a light sleeper and they run at night.

Are your HVAC ducts insulated?
    Thanks. Ducts are insulated. It may run into the evening but shouldn’t run at night. The goal is to get it down from 150 to near air temp during the day. I’m wary about cutting a hole in the roof and the wife isn’t gonna let anybody in the house for the forseeable future.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Think about doing a whole-house fan with louvers you can close in the house for when you don't want it to suck AC out along with the attic heat. Can definitely save you some coin in in the shoulder seasons. https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/h...hole-house-fan https://www.pickhvac.com/whole-house-fan/

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Thanks. Ducts are insulated. It may run into the evening but shouldn’t run at night. The goal is to get it down from 150 to near air temp during the day. I’m wary about cutting a hole in the roof and the wife isn’t gonna let anybody in the house for the forseeable future.
    Just as long as it isn't so psycho mountain climbers pitch, it's pretty easy. I'm sure there's some YouTube out there for it.

Someone would like me to remove a slab of flagstone for them, and I’d kinda like to have it, but not all that bad.

Called a landscape company and they are estimating 30 pounds per square foot at 3 inches thick. Does that sound about right?

So if it’s 5’x2’x3” about 300 pounds?

Any tips on how to move that? I have a ramp for my truck, but I don’t yet have any kind of roller system. I do have a two wheel dolly/handtruck, but I’m not even sure it’s rated for 300.

She thought it was more like 500 pounds, but she didn’t tell me where she got that number. I don’t know her at all.

You get about 50 square feet per ton out of 3 inch thick flagstone, but that isn't factoring grout into it. I would think 400-500 pounds would be a safe bet. It might be a bit lighter, but I would say it's unlikely to weigh more than 500 pounds.

Good luck moving it and keeping it in one piece.

Break it into smaller pieces. You'll need a BFH.

I bought a roto hammer drill for that other project and the thought had crossed my mind. But it certainly loses a lot of the appeal to me at that juncture. I figured at 300 I might be able to roll it on small limbs/logs. But if it’s 500 I don’t know if I even want to try. Not worth a hernia and I’m not going to hire someone or rent a machine, just don’t want it that bad. If there were some ingenious stonehenge tricks frequently used, I’m all ears.

Hammer works for cutting a jagged edge. If you want it in one piece maybe get a chain and drag it home? Raise one end 6", put a block under. Raise other side and do the same. Repeat until you can pull it into the truck bed

10 sq ft of 3" thick concrete weighs about 200 lbs. 3 big friends should do it. Don't pinch your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I bought a roto hammer drill for that other project and the thought had crossed my mind. But it certainly loses a lot of the appeal to me at that juncture. I figured at 300 I might be able to roll it on small limbs/logs. But if it’s 500 I don’t know if I even want to try. Not worth a hernia and I’m not going to hire someone or rent a machine, just don’t want it that bad. If there were some ingenious stonehenge tricks frequently used, I’m all ears.
    There was a mag on here that said something to the effect of "give me two Okies and a come-a-long and I can move the world." You got this.

Or hire 4 guys(if they're little, 2 if they're big) from in front of a Home Depot for an hour to lift it into your truck and deposit it where you want it at your place.

Do you know anyone with a flat bed trailer you can borrow? It's going to be a lot easier to move if you have to lift it ~18 inches onto something that has a ramp versus trying to get it into the bed of a pickup.

That’s a good idea. I’ve been pondering buying one for sure. Crazy how expensive they are especially if you go with enclosed, so I got distracted with options. But yeah I have a neighbor with one I might be able to borrow.

in truck (or low trailer):
    slide/lever onto pallet
    4 dudes lift into pickup

out truck:
    remove tailgate
    several 2x6 propped on the bumper
    slide pallet down ramp
    drag to location

Thanks. Interesting idea getting it onto wood. I have some pallets. Trying to do with just one dude, me. Global pandemic and all that. Might try to get one extra dude which would help a whole lot. Def not going for four.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    You'd be smart to go see if the slabs are held in place by concrete or mortar, or maybe "pack" (stone dust and aggregate), which can easily get as hard as concrete. The best case is if topsoil only was used as fill in material (topsoil also a sign of an economy install job).

Someone mentioned wedges and come alongs. Don't forget a few pry bars, some chain and this tip: Some 3" or 4" pvc pipe cut to length, use to roll the slabs on, even if only to move a few feet, upright or flat. Your back and your fingers will appreciate it!

P.S: Flatbed trailer is much easier on the body than lifting into and out of a pickup. You can rent one from HD rental counters.
    Last edited by Nobody Famous; 07-15-2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: P.S.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.