Page 7 of 380 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

How's the painting debacle coming along?

Oh, and since we're ton the topic of asbestos, some drywall mud had asbestos as well.

I wouldn't take a chance with it.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    How's the painting debacle coming along?
    mostly done (I updated the thread, I think). I paid the guy some money to go away, and have someone coming by in a couple of weeks to fix the shit he did,
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This asshole doctor who thought he was a contractor (unlicensed) bought a POS house next to ours and hired a bunch of undocumented workers to rip out the asbestos covered ducting and lead painted plaster, with zero protection, everything thrown into the regular dumpster. The guy was just smart enough to not do the work himself. (Eventually got shut down by the fire marshall-something about the unshielded romex going into the shipping container he was using as a shop, said romex being pinched when he shut and locked the doors, potentially electrifying the whole container. City razed what was left of the hosue and he sold the lot, thank god.)

While most people with lung cancer and mesothelioma from asbestos have long standing occupational exposure, there are definitely cases with single limited exposure, and in the case of that exposure being your own house the fibers linger after the bulk of the asbestos is removed, so the exposure is ongoing. Yeah, improper removal gets done all the time; people drive drunk all the time too, sometimes they die. Do not do it yourself. Please.

here is three more cents

asbestos is in the mud not the drywall usually has 2-3% asbestos content, it was fazed out completely between 78-88 at 1% content you can do whatever you want

9 out of 10 times you can scrape your ceiling and not have any issues, scrapped got busted and had the air tested and there was nothing in the air afterwords, no charges

I breath in shit all day long ever day and have for many years, I wouldn't worry about scraping your own ceiling and dieing or getting sick, i would be conserned if you were messing with friable asbestos such as pipe insulation, other insulation, maybe some siding products

plenty of people will scrape your ceiling for you and not care one bit, other people who are on the up and up will not touch it, i wouldn't touch it unless it was done right then cause I don't need johhny law the epa who is run by idiots coming after me, ever day a ceiling gets scraped in colorado and no one knows or cares

^^^You and SkiFishBum share the same bong? I think I know what you are saying and agree with you. Ultimately, the homo has to make a decision about the risks involved. Go to Libby, MT and walk through the grocery store before you make your choice.

I bid a job once where the plumber was going to have to tear out a giant octopus boiler with asbestos pipe insulation all over it. We bid it full EPA and, of course, the customer laughed in our faces when he saw the price. About a month later, I saw that boiler on the back of a flat bed driving down the road with shit blowing everywhere, not even a tarp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    ^^^You and SkiFishBum share the same bong? I think I know what you are saying and agree with you. Ultimately, the homo has to make a decision about the risks involved. Go to Libby, MT and walk through the grocery store before you make your choice.

I bid a job once where the plumber was going to have to tear out a giant octopus boiler with asbestos pipe insulation all over it. We bid it full EPA and, of course, the customer laughed in our faces when he saw the price. About a month later, I saw that boiler on the back of a flat bed driving down the road with shit blowing everywhere, not even a tarp on it.
    I have that asbestos wrapped octopus in my basement. I have access to a lot of contractors, especially of the clean up type through my work, and I've had several of them come and take a look. Everyone one of them told me to do it myself and save the dough. One told me he'd drop off a negative air fan and a dumpster and gave me a few tips on how to wet and wrap with plastic/duct tape. I'm hesitant, but it sounds like I wouldn't do too much different than they do for a fraction of the cost.

I'm just an environmental testing company would disagree but I'd do the same thing. I'd probably try and test air when I was done.

I'm leaning towards the "not fuck with it". I could live with the popcorn but my wife hates it. We'll probably drywall over it.

Dude, don't "lean" in any direction. Step one, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Contact an environmental testing company, get instructions and pricing for collecting sample. Scrape ceiling, get it tested. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Dude, don't "lean" in any direction. Step one, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Contact an environmental testing company, get instructions and pricing for collecting sample. Scrape ceiling, get it tested. Don't put the cart before the horse.
    oh, yeah, we are going to get it tested first (assistance from BrokeSomeRibs), and if it's not asbestos, we'll scrape. But if it is, drywall is the likely choice.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger on remodel, have some questions re building permits.

One contractor we may use is not licensed in our city, so we'd have to pull the permit, though he's willing/able to handle the inspections (we know because he's done the same for friends). I do trust the contractor to a good/professional job and do things to code. Wondering what y'all think about whether or not to pull a permit, how that impacts the job, do inspectors go all over the house and make you fix everything that's not code, will it cost a shitton, how will it affect resale or insurance, etc. What's the risk of not pulling a permit?

For the record, our remodel does not include anything like a physical addition to the house, or adding a bathroom, or anything like that. It does however include taking out a wall, changing one window, possibly creating a bedroom (but I'm only mildly concerned about not claiming it as a bedroom on the MLS if we sell the house, we're not doing it to add $$ to the house value).
    Last edited by Danno; 10-12-2015 at 11:39 AM.

in my state:
    - a professional stamp is needed to change structural openings
    - a homeowner may pull a permit only if they're doing the work themselves (inspectors/City are getting more suspicious re: these situations near us)

ask these questions at your local building dept before signing up for a particular strategy

inspectors are NOT allowed to just go open season on the rest of the house (that doesn't always stop them, but you can at least challenge them if they stray with reasonable arguments to re-focus them). Existing conditions are usually grandfathered until the next permit is pulled affecting that condition. There are exceptions; check with your jurisdiction.

the strategy you propose shouldn't affect your resale in any way as long as you have the appropriate permits and the work is quality (and the layout/design too)

Tell him to go get a license. Yeah, you could hire him, but you're hiring him as a subcontractor since your name will be on the permit as the GC. If the shit hits the fan, you're the GC, and you'll be responsible. Does he have insurance?

And how do you know he'll do things to code? Did you just get some warm-fuzzy feeling that told you, "Yeah, this guy is legit and he'll do things to code even though he doesn't have a license."

If you do hire him, his fee should be significantly less since his liability is significantly less.

And no, inspectors don't go all around the house and make you "fix" everything that may not up to current code standards. They'll only be concerned with the remodel and how it ties into the existing structure.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

well, he's licensed in 3 other jurisdictions. It's not like he's just a dude we found on the street. He's fully insured. As for the code stuff, he assured us that he would build to code, and like I said he did a very similar job for friends of ours here, without issue (they pulled the permit, he did the work and handled the inspections). I suppose if we are risky and don't pull a permit at all, I don't have true assurance the he'll do the same job as he would if did pull the permit, but I'm fairly confident that his attention to detail would be the same.

Here's the thing Danno....if this guy is licensed in three other jurisdictions, and he is a legitimate business man, then he should go get a license in Boulder, especially since it sounds like he is doing repeat work there. So to me, that is a red flag.

Yeah, for moving a wall, and maybe "changing" a window...you're probably going to be OK. As a guy who works in construction defect, I see things when the shit does hit the fan, so I personally would do things by the book, but that's just me.

I'm just thinking this guy says to knock out a wall, doesn't realize that the wall is structural, or there is something in the wall that was unexpected and then that demo causes damage to your home, and his insurance doesn't cover it becasue he didn't pull the permit and he's not licensed; now you're stuck with the bill and the clean up mess. I don't know, I guess I worry too much.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Here's the thing Danno....if this guy is licensed in three other jurisdictions, and he is a legitimate business man, then he should go get a license in Boulder, especially since it sounds like he is doing repeat work there. So to me, that is a red flag.

Yeah, for moving a wall, and maybe "changing" a window...you're probably going to be OK. As a guy who works in construction defect, I see things when the shit does hit the fan, so I personally would do things by the book, but that's just me.

I'm just thinking this guy says to knock out a wall, doesn't realize that the wall is structural, or there is something in the wall that was unexpected and then that demo causes damage to your home, and his insurance doesn't cover it becasue he didn't pull the permit and he's not licensed; now you're stuck with the bill and the clean up mess. I don't know, I guess I worry too much.
    No, I hear you, I need to think all of this through. I know your background and so I wouldn't have expected you to have a different answer, but it's good to hear this stuff. Because asking friends who did work or had work done on their house, they all say "eh, I didn't get permits", so I need to hear the other side.

Our friends did take out a wall, and got a letter from a structural engineer re their permit, FWIW.

I'd be extremely reluctant to hire a general contractor for a fairly major remodeling project if he wasn't able to take the project from start to finish. I'd want to do nothing more than agree to a design, write some checks, and then take the keys back when the work was finished. If your guy isn't able to do that then you ought to find a different guy. That is, unless you're saving enough by using him to justify acting as your own GC on the job and treating him as a subcontractor. Technicalities don't bother me on some stuff, but your house is likely to be your single greatest asset. As such, you owe it to yourself and your family to try to complete a project like this one by the book.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No, I hear you, I need to think all of this through. I know your background and so I wouldn't have expected you to have a different answer, but it's good to hear this stuff. Because asking friends who did work or had work done on their house, they all say "eh, I didn't get permits", so I need to hear the other side.
    Hey, at least one of your friends who had work done on their house said "I got a permit, and I would advise you to do the same if anything structural, plumbing or electrical is involved" (which, as I understand it, would be the case). And I echo the concerns about using someone who does work in Boulder repeatedly but isn't willing to get licensed here. Raises some red flags for me.

Everyone seems to just be thinking about resale value with permits, but you really should think about insurance coverage too. Unpermitted remodels/repairs are a great way for the insurance company to try to avoid paying claims.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Obviously every state and every building department is different, but we had an out of town architect (personal friend) and engineers do the plan, we pulled the permit, then got a couple of bids and hired a licensed contractor. Pulling the permit was a huge pain in the ass--multiple trips to the building department, revisions to plans, took a couple of months. This was for a fairly complex but small bathroom/storage space/office addition outside the footprint of the house. Local professionals know what the local building department wants and the building department trusts them (or not). My advise is if you're going to pull a permit hire a local contractor who will pull the permit. I'm too lazy to go back in this thread and find out who did your plans. Can they pull the permit? If you have a local architect or engineer they might be able to do it.

this sounds like your painting dude.... "friends used him & said it was all good". You are a slow learner danno...

Ha, it does doesn't it. It's not the same though. We've seen the work these guys do, all custom cabinetry, and our friends checked every reference of theirs before hiring them. There's many more details that make this different, but I don't feel the need to convince you. And that prior experience has not been forgotten or ignored.

As a licensed and insured contractor, I'm usually a "get a permit & use a licensed contractor" guy. That said, I increasingly see the whole process getting less about protecting the homeowner from substandard work and more about a money grab and power play from the permitting authority.

I've got a stack of "business licences", "contractor licences" etc. in my office that amount to nothing more than a receipt for a tax I paid. I scanned Boulder's website and it seems like quite a bit of work to get their licence. I often autonomously out to the building department to ask if a permit is required and often get a "it would be nice" type of response instead of referencing me to some documentation listing the specific type of work as permitting required.

I may have missed it but what is the exact scope of work? In a lot of ways, the permit protects the contractor. While I've got a couple decades experience is this game and know the codes pretty well, ultimately it is up to the interpretation of the on the job inspector. If the inspector says "you must do XXX", then I can just say OK and bill the customer. The signed inspection card pretty much says I did it right.

Another thing, and this goes to all customers. What you want is "A certificate of insurance listing you (the homeowner) as insured and the property address on the certificate". You can also request either a copy of there workers comp or "Workers Comp Waiver".

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    this sounds like your painting dude.... "friends used him & said it was all good". You are a slow learner danno...
    this thread should deliver lots of entertainment I can't wait

I got nothing going on this winter, would love to come down and do your remodel for you, I got no insurance or license, since that doesn't matter we're off to a good start, I got lots of references and you can come look at some of my past work if needed, just poured 20 yards of concrete yesterday and I"m real good at drywall too, so I'm pretty sure I can hang cabinets and wire up lights for you