Page 6 of 380 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I'll add that I initially tried to scrape my ceilings (and walls, actually, they also had a really shitty texture) and it was a fucking pain in the ass. Much easier to skim it with 1/4" drywall.

And texture is used to cover up shitty uneven walls/ceilings put up by drywallers that can't be bothered to just do a good fucking job. It ain't difficult to get things flat and smooth, but you have to kinda pay attention/not be completely wasted when you're hanging/finishing.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 08-27-2015 at 06:43 PM.

glad to hear that it is a good solution to the problem. always nice to find out that they're not talking out their ass.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The wife says they just scrape the popcorn off, then skim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The wife says they just scrape the popcorn off, then skim.
    you missed the part about possible asbestos.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    you missed the part about possible asbestos.
    I don't think he did.

Scrape it off using a mask. Not sure about your area, but around here just covering asbestos with more sheetrock is no bueno.

not sure I follow

Questions for the experts:

We have popcorn ceilings, and while we haven't gotten it tested, the age of the house points to the likelihood that they contain asbestos. We'd like to get rid of them, but as I understand it, the cost of professional mitigation is obscene. Another option is to do it ourselves on the sly, but as it's been painted, I gather that makes a messy job even harder.
    And you can die in 20 years. Seriously. Don't fuck with asbestos. The safest solution is to cover it, encapsulate it etc. Even if it's removed professionally there'll still be fibers floating around. Asbestos is safe as long as you don't touch it, but dangerous when disturbed, kind of like sleeping bears.

I thought someone said to just cover it with sheetrock. According to the Frau around here is you get rid of the popcorn by soaking and scraping, thus getting rid of what's there, then skimming the ceiling. I'm not in the biz, so maybe I missed a pertinent equation. Is the asbestos in something other than the popcorn?

Note: I said nothing about the cost. It is, however, very possible to remove asbestos popcorn from a ceiling. It may suck tho.

Asbestos is essentially benign when not disturbed. The problems arise when it's disturbed and asbestos fibers get airborne. That shit is bad for you. The fibers are exponentially less likely to become airborne when wet. So, a professional asbestos crew essentially soaks the shit out of whatever they're removing, wears a mask, then removes it.

My understanding is Danno wants rid of the popcorn ceilings and presumably wants smooth ceilings instead. He doesn't (and shouldn't) care about removing the asbestos, since it's fine if not disturbed. Either scraping the popcorn off then skimming the ceiling smooth, or sheetrocking over it will accomplish the desired result. IMO the sheetrock is easier.

I don't care whether there is asbestos in the popcorn if the popcorn stays. As adrenated said, it's fine if left there. But the cost to remove it is crazy high, and I'm not keen on trying to do it myself. While I understand the job of removing popcorn is messy but doable, and the asbestos doesn't make it inherently harder, my understanding is that when the popcorn has been painted as ours has, it can be much harder, as the water doesn't soak in very well. So that coupled with the asbestos, makes me doubly not keen on doing it myself. Hence asking about the drywall. Which, because it leaves the popcorn undisturbed, does not require the asbestos mitigation crew.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    1/4" drywall over the old drywall. Easy, and you won't even notice it's there. Less messy than scraping the popcorn off, too (though still messy when you mud and sand the seams).
    I'm doing this in my house.
    Just did this. Had it professionally done throughout entire house and looks awesome. Got it tested and positive for asbestos so only option really. Still pricey. If I didn't have a baby I might of got a respirator, sprayed it and scraped it myself.

Might be a DC thing but around here Asbestos was used in a lot of siding. The old method of remediating it was to just put more siding over it, just like putting sheetrock over the Asbestos popcorn. That turned into an issue when it was found that the fibers were possibly going to be exposed either by the process or by decay over time. YMMV. Now people remove all asbestos when remodeling (at cost, I understand) rather than taking a chance on future non-compliance.

Asbestos used to be used in siding, flooring, drywall, insulation etc. Most contractors and government agencies will tell you to leave it alone. Wetting it down and wearing an N95 won't cut it for asbestos, you have to be worried about your clothes and equipment too. You need to dispose of it properly too. Leave it alone or cap it, don't scrape. I would just paint it again and leave it. It doesn't look bad and helps rooms be quieter.

Questions for the experts:

We have popcorn ceilings, and while we haven't gotten it tested, the age of the house points to the likelihood that they contain asbestos. We'd like to get rid of them, but as I understand it, the cost of professional mitigation is obscene. Another option is to do it ourselves on the sly, but as it's been painted, I gather that makes a messy job even harder?

One option we've heard about is just covering it up, drywalling over it. Anyone have experience with that? I gather we'd lose maybe 1/2" which doesn't seem like much. And while it wouldn't be cheap, it'd be a lot cheaper than the mitigation work, and a lot better than remodeling the house and leaving the popcorn.

Thoughts?
    ok, please give me a call I do lots of consultant work $50.00 an hr bag of weed and a six pack would love to spend the winter in boulder chasing tail around campus

don't listen to anyone here but me I"m epa certified (all my certs are hanging on my bedroom wall) I'm well rounded and educated on assbestoes you can find my profile on houzz it's bong hit construction "we do it right cause we do it twice" based out of breck

who house scrape with will run you 15-20k and you'll have to leave town for 10-16 days

don't half ass anything, don't cut corners, don't be an idiot, don't be cheep, hire me, if you want to cover it up the only way to go: rc channel 1/2 drywall, you'll loose 1 to 1 1/2 inches of ceiling if your in a multifamily install acustiblok first the channel then drywall, I'd run 18 - 22 sq ft for sound channel and drywall

i do this for a living trust me ask me anything

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    1/4" drywall over the old drywall. Easy, and you won't even notice it's there. Less messy than scraping the popcorn off, too (though still messy when you mud and sand the seams).
    I'm doing this in my house.
    guaranteed to look like shit don't do this 1/4 drywall no

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ok, please give me a call I do lots of consultant work $50.00 an hr bag of weed and a six pack would love to spend the winter in boulder chasing tail around campus

don't listen to anyone here but me I"m epa certified (all my certs are hanging on my bedroom wall) I'm well rounded and educated on assbestoes you can find my profile on houzz it's bong hit construction "we do it right cause we do it twice" based out of breck

who house scrape with will run you 15-20k and you'll have to leave town for 10-16 days

don't half ass anything, don't cut corners, don't be an idiot, don't be cheep, hire me, if you want to cover it up the only way to go: rc channel 1/2 drywall, you'll loose 1 to 1 1/2 inches of ceiling if your in a multifamily install acustiblok first the channel then drywall, I'd run 18 - 22 sq ft for sound channel and drywall

i do this for a living trust me ask me anything
    Are you based in Nigeria and do you still need a shitter?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Fastfred knows what he's talking about. Everyone hates choices until they don't have them. Half-assing is a choice but it's still half-assing.

a. EPA regulated pop-corn scrape. Expensive. Do you even know you have asbestos? Knowledge is power. Get that shit tested.

b. Non-EPA style scrape. It gets done all the time. Honestly, if all EPA regs were followed, the remodeling industry would die. On something so blatantly obvious as this, I let the homo contract with someone and call me when it's done. The penalties for homos are so much less than contractors. Less expensive but still expensive.

c. 1/4" Drywall over. I've never seen is not look like shit, your mileage will vary. Might have code issues. Good luck getting that DW to sit flat, hitting with all your screws and getting the joints to look good. You'll still have to tape onto the walls and repaint at a minimum.

d. Fred's way. Good but expensive. You'll have to extend all your electrical boxes.

Popcorn ceilings and moss rock fireplaces are the two things that often get left in a remodel because many people just do not see the value.

have not had it tested yet, just started this process, but yes, that is first step.

anyone worked with a testing company? kind of hard to google that shit cold, not really sure where to start.
    Last edited by Danno; 08-28-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Fastfred knows what he's talking about. Everyone hates choices until they don't have them. Half-assing is a choice but it's still half-assing.

a. EPA regulated pop-corn scrape. Expensive. Do you even know you have asbestos? Knowledge is power. Get that shit tested.

b. Non-EPA style scrape. It gets done all the time. Honestly, if all EPA regs were followed, the remodeling industry would die. On something so blatantly obvious as this, I let the homo contract with someone and call me when it's done. The penalties for homos are so much less than contractors. Less expensive but still expensive.

c. 1/4" Drywall over. I've never seen is not look like shit, your mileage will vary. Might have code issues. Good luck getting that DW to sit flat, hitting with all your screws and getting the joints to look good. You'll still have to tape onto the walls and repaint at a minimum.

d. Fred's way. Good but expensive. You'll have to extend all your electrical boxes.

Popcorn ceilings and moss rock fireplaces are the two things that often get left in a remodel because many people just do not see the value.
    I'd do option B personally...and if you're thinking about selling your place in the future there's a decent chance that you'd have to disclose that you knowingly put drywall over a potentially asbestos popcorn ceiling...not saying that it would be a show stopper, because maybe your building code would grandfather that sort of situation in...but if you can mitigate the issue by option B above then I think that would make your life easiest in the long run. Just my 2 cents tho. I've never done that sort of cleanup myself, but have had friends that DIY'd it...sounds like a royal pain in the ass...but as you say, expensive to contract out.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Danno I can help with testing. I live around the corner from you. I was a home inspector in NJ (which has rigorous licensing, unlike CO) but no longer working in the business. Our business had/has a very high focus on environmental testing. Luckily, I still have good ties with my prior company (i.e. my dad is the company owner) and I can get lab testing kits at pretty much wholesale and help you take the bulk sample as well. PM me.

Edit to add: Definitely don't try to do the mitigation yourself. EPA mitigation protocols for asbestos include taping and sealing off the entire contaminated area, positive pressure ventilation with HEPA filters, workers all wearing fan-driven respirators (N95 masks don't do shit) etc. Definitely not a DIY job. I know how to do it myself and still wouldn't go near it with a 10 ft pole. All you'll do is spread asbestos throughout your entire house.
    Last edited by BrokeSomeRibs; 08-28-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks! PM sent.

Lots of noise in the padded room, but a hell of a lot of signal too.

friend of mine mom, died from asbestos, from an office building she worked in. do not mess around with this stuff

Haven't seen this but didn't look real hard.

What is the age of the house? Later than about 1986 and you have very low chances of Asbestos.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"