Page 3 of 380 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I can't imagine that it is cheaper to remodel than to sell and buy something you like - it just doesn't make sense
    You're assuming you can find a house you like every thing about in a neighborhood you like everything about, for a price low enough, figuring in the closing costs and broker's fee. And the experience of our son and of our lawyer trying to finance houses was that getting loan approval takes 6 months or more. (Both were preapproved but final approval still dragged on and on.)

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    In addition to raping, we also steal precious family treasures when we do "site visits" and occasionally kidnap children too
    Heh - guess I was being a little harsh. IME Architects come in, make a design, and hand it off. Sure there were site visits to see what you're working with but 9 out of 10 times once the plans are drawn and handed to the GC your work is done, leaving the homeowner to deal solely with the contractor. A segment of my wife's business is modifying Architectural plans to fit the changed wants & needs of the client - currently she's doing just that at the Congolese Ambassador's residence. We're now talking about flooring, cabinetry, fittings, etc - not the floor plan.

Not saying you guys aren't worth it when it comes to additions/load bearing structures, but for remodeling a kitchen and bath using an architect is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, and most Architects I know personally won't do any such work anyway, they refer it to people like my wife.

It's all good - people think that we in the media take those kidnapped babies and prepare a tasty snack out of them.

Danno. Think holdback. 10% holdback on all payment draws then at the end if he doesn't get around to doing some little pain in the ass 8 minute job you've still got leverage.

Working as an engineer we would do a final inspection, note ALL deficiencies and assign a dollar amount to each. Then we would double it. So a missing switch plate could be a $200 holdback. ($1 plate, 1 minute job plus travel to site, going to the wholesaler to get the plate, coffee, chat with buddy,....)
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    9 out of 10 times once the plans are drawn and handed to the GC your work is done, leaving the homeowner to deal solely with the contractor.
    Because 9 out of 10 times, clients don't want to pay architects to provide construction administration services. Architects aren't going to perform construction administration, (i.e. observation reports, RFI respsone, shop drawing review, etc.) for free; they gots to eat too!

Anyway...you don't need an architect for a typical remodel job that is just replacing finishes, cabinets, fixtures, etc., and I'm an architect (and a dentist).
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

pintrest and youtube..... you got this bro.

Just post pictures and videos as you go so we can share in the awesome.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thanks for the advice, y'all. We definitely need to nail down what we want, and I don't expect a GC to be able to tell me exactly how much the job will cost, but I hope that he can tell me how much (approximately) his work will cost, and give me a range for the materials/cabinetry/tile. Though I'm beginning to think we won't be able to afford everything.

As for buying a different house, well, that comes with its own issues. There's the huge amount of money you lose by switching houses (commission, closing costs, new loan at higher interest rate), and the hassle of dealing with a remodel is somewhat offset by the hassle of moving (not to mention the hassle of selling, dealing with a contingent offer or bridge loan or ???). And then you are acquiring somewhat of an unknown, vs the known that you have. So, if I can afford say a $50k remodel HELOC on top of my mortgage, I don't see how I can come close to that buying and selling.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Let's play a game! How much do you think this kitchen cost? Plumbing & Electrical Re-Rough. Frame, DW peninsula, Kustom Kubbord cabinets, mid range appliances, level 2 granite, kohler, backsplash

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l8c84bf44-m7o.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	157800  

How about this small bathroom?

$1,000,000?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Heh - guess I was being a little harsh. IME Architects come in, make a design, and hand it off. Sure there were site visits to see what you're working with but 9 out of 10 times once the plans are drawn and handed to the GC your work is done, leaving the homeowner to deal solely with the contractor. A segment of my wife's business is modifying Architectural plans to fit the changed wants & needs of the client - currently she's doing just that at the Congolese Ambassador's residence. We're now talking about flooring, cabinetry, fittings, etc - not the floor plan.

Not saying you guys aren't worth it when it comes to additions/load bearing structures, but for remodeling a kitchen and bath using an architect is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, and most Architects I know personally won't do any such work anyway, they refer it to people like my wife.

It's all good - people think that we in the media take those kidnapped babies and prepare a tasty snack out of them.
    The only reason i poke you about this is because the audience of folks (TGR) who really have no idea what architects, interior designers & decorators do.
    And you are presenting a pretty limited perspective...
    (and pimping your wife's business while you're at it...coincidence?)

I mean, fuck...in almost all states, you only need a structural engineer's stamp to permit new construction or additions; and the homeowner can own all the design decisions. No need for any design input whatsoever. [PE's, no intended offense on structural design]

Architects routinely provide services during construction
    They do kitchen and bath remodels
    They do interiors

As with any profession, each professional has particular experience and talents. The clients need to look at the professionals experience before hiring them.

Foggy, I have no idea, but I am very curious.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Let's play a game! How much do you think this kitchen cost? Plumbing & Electrical Re-Rough. Frame, DW peninsula, Kustom Kubbord cabinets, mid range appliances, level 2 granite, kohler, backsplash

$15K-$18K for the kitchen and $8K - $10K for the bathroom, assuming these are DIY.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

apologies to Danno!

apologies, what for? hearing debates about the value of professionals in this field is useful discussion IMO.

Not DIY. That is a large remodel I recently completed. Part-time real estate investor customer. This is my forth or fifth remodel for them. They are very smart with the money. A couple of data points to help you with your guesses.

Cabinets cost $10K and that is a pretty good deal (alder, soft close, roll-outs, dovetail etc.). Install labor for cabinets and crown moulding was $1.5K. My prices are about middle of the road and probably less that what a skilled project manager/ carpenter would charge down in The Republic.

Not DIY. That is a large remodel I recently completed. Part-time real estate investor customer. This is my forth or fifth remodel for them. They are very smart with the money. A couple of data points to help you with your guesses.

Cabinets cost $10K and that is a pretty good deal (alder, soft close, roll-outs, dovetail etc.). Install labor for cabinets and crown moulding was $1.5K. My prices are about middle of the road and probably less that what a skilled project manager/ carpenter would charge down in The Republic.
    Looks good man.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

want to do a job in the PRB?

So I'm high?

In my defense, the cabinets looked like Brazilian Rosewood.

From the picture the backsplash is too busy and doesn't blend with the other colors and textures. The granite from the counter top might have looked better. jmo. Nice work though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    From the picture the backsplash is too busy and doesn't blend with the other colors and textures.
    For an extra $2K a designer would have caught that. Place is gonna languish on the market because of that, and the lack of rosewood cabinets. JMHO

^^^
    I don't disagree. But hey, I'm just a contractor and not the designer..get it. In all reality, this is a great example of some people need a design professional, some don't. Homeowners picked the counter and the splash and they love the product and the installation. As I tell my customers, I'll give you my opinion on design, but it is your house. I'll guide you and let you know if something is stupid, but ultimately the design a budget of finish materials is on you.

Danno, I wouldn't accept a job as a project manager in Boulder because I don't have the contacts or relationships with the subs and material providers. That is probably 50% of the job and how a good PM can make there services pay for themselves. How, if you end up needing a trim carpenter, tile setter and/or flooring installer, let me know.

It depends on your scope of work & the price point of your home. Since you are in the Republic, maybe $400k-$500k priced home, you could probably be under $20k for the kitchen, if you shopped around, & $5k-$10k for the baths. It really depends on if you are moving plumbing/electrical etc.

Exterior house paint can be all over the map. You can have a crew come and spray it, or a better crew scrape, caulk, etc. Assuming you have heat, then to add AC shouldn't be too bad (sub $5k).

Make a list of everything you want done and come back to us. If you need some local subcontractor's info, I can help. It isn't that hard to GC it, but you have to know what to look for & have the time to do it. Also, put the people under contract & require insurance, etc. I have a blank one I can send if you want.
    Denver Dirt Pimp - Feel free to hit me up with any RE questions.

Nice job, but that back splash is going to look dated fast.

Speaking of design ideas, I highly recommend not doing a breakfast bar like the above picture. We planned on that, but our GC suggested otherwise (we started with a designer, but it was not a good experience.) We went with his suggestion and made the whole counter the same level, making the peninsula a great work space. My kids did home work at it, my wife sews and bakes on it, and I use it for cooking/food prep. It is the single best thing about our kitchen, which is now going on 12years ago?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^^^
    How, if you end up needing a trim carpenter, tile setter and/or flooring installer, let me know.
    Are you in Denver? Might need some help if my guy is still working on his current project.
    Denver Dirt Pimp - Feel free to hit me up with any RE questions.

50k will get you something close to a good kitchen depending on size and taste.

Tipp is right here. Small residential remodels are really tough to make money on as an architect. It's likely they've already over'd the budgeted timeline for a job in just meeting with the bat shit wife who hasn't realized that her 100 grand doesn't mean shit to someone who could also have 10's of millions of dollars worth of work on the boards or in the field. The result is this - good architects, who do deliver good drawings and administer a job well, are entirely too busy to put up with you or your wife's bullshit. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

So in my opinion, having worked both as a contractor and now an architect, leave the architect out of it on a finishes only or minor space changes.