Page 281 of 385 FirstFirst ... 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 9618
    Any recommendations or general advice for free-standing metal carport kits?

What does something from HD/Lowes lack compared to, say VersaTube? On paper there seems to be little to no difference (same style, snow/wind load ratings, same anchors, powder coated/galvanized, etc.) but the price difference is $500+.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-08-2022 at 02:16 PM.

I have a 1930's brass faucet on my bathroom sink that I've tried repacking at least 6 times but it still leaks slightly around the stem when the water is on. My assumption is that the stem is slightly bent so it pushes the packing out as the handle is turned. Since the leak is so small and only when the faucet is open I live with it. Old plumbing fixtures are becoming increasingly scarce and all the repro stuff I've seen is crap.

But ordinarily leaking around a valve stem should be an easy fix.
    Last edited by old goat; 07-08-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’ve got this situation:

Attachment 390157

And I’m not sure what to do with it. Do I seal it up? How? Leave it?

I was going to defer for a while, but have a squirrel making a home in there and I’m not a fan….
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1657325663.340324.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	420999

Finally getting around to this one. Need to go buy a bigger ladder, but it does look better even before it’s done. Next step is bumping around in the attic and making sure all the vents are fully chicken wired before this fall.
    focus.

Anyone know of a standard, very bright indoor workshop floodlight (5-10000 lumens) that's hardwired, but turns on via a remote and not a wall switch?

Or even know of a good website that sells all sorts of lights with a great filter navigation to pick exactly what I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Any recommendations or general advice for free-standing metal carport kits?

What does something from HD/Lowes lack compared to, say VersaTube? On paper there seems to be little to no difference (same style, snow/wind load ratings, same anchors, powder coated/galvanized, etc.) but the price difference is $500+.
    Bump.

Still pondering this. I'd like to think prices may come down but that's probably not realistic. Even at $2k never cleaning frost and snow off my truck again feels worth it. Also, I only have room for a 10x20--will I regret that with an F150?

Bump.

Still pondering this. I'd like to think prices may come down but that's probably not realistic. Even at $2k never cleaning frost and snow off my truck again feels worth it. Also, I only have room for a 10x20--will I regret that with an F150?
    x2 on this, I have been pondering said shelter for wintering the drift boat
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Epoxy garage floors.
    I kind of get the impression DIY will peel up.
    Local installers are getting $8-12/ft. I can justify $2-3K for it, but not $5-7K.
    Any mags DIY theirs and live to tell about it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Epoxy garage floors.
    Local installers are getting $8-12/ft. I can justify $2-3K for it, but not $5-7K.

Did my basement floor 8 years ago with this: https://ghostshield.com/product/epoxy-325

At the time, it was $190 for 5 gallons and it covered 1100 sq feet with a small amount leftover. Nothing fancy but still holding up pretty well. If I was to do it again, I probably would put some sand or other grip substance in it as it gets like ice if wet.

I also rented a floor refinisher and Diamabrush from Home Depot. The prep work was much harder than the actual epoxy finish. Unless you have some really bad concrete finish, you can probably skip the Diamabrush and just lay the epoxy.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Anyone know of a standard, very bright indoor workshop floodlight (5-10000 lumens) that's hardwired, but turns on via a remote and not a wall switch?

Or even know of a good website that sells all sorts of lights with a great filter navigation to pick exactly what I need?
    I have these on my basement ceiling and workbench.

https://www.costco.com/feit-electric...100777294.html
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Bump.

I can't speak to the metal shelters specifically, but I have a carport for my F150 that's about 7.5' by 18' and about 5.5' tall on the low side. Despite needing to remove my CB and ham antennas and fold in the passenger side mirror (so I can be close enough to the high side), it's well worth having when the weather is truly crappy. I usually just need to knock the snow off my headlights and front bumper, since it hangs out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Epoxy garage floors.

It might have just been paint but come off the road the tires are hot and fuckup the paint or epoxy is what I was told

free advice from my last lawyer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I can't speak to the metal shelters specifically, but I have a carport for my F150 that's about 7.5' by 18' and about 5.5' tall on the low side. Despite needing to remove my CB and ham antennas and fold in the passenger side mirror (so I can be close enough to the high side), it's well worth having when the weather is truly crappy. I usually just need to knock the snow off my headlights and front bumper, since it hangs out.
    My main concern is the supports along the "walls" interfering with opening the doors. I did some measurements and it seems like it should be OK if you park at just the right spot, but some real-world experience would be nice before I drop the money.

Anyone have an external temp sensor for your thermostat / heat pump combo? Where's it installed? Mine is giving wacky readings (113 when it was maybe low 80s outside). Never noticed it before today; this is the first time I've run the a/c other than an hour or two in the afternoon, so I wondered if the temp sensor was installed too close to the heat pump, but I don't see anything. Don't see it anywhere else obvious, either. Where should I be looking?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    x2 on this, I have been pondering said shelter for wintering the drift boat
    I found these guys today: https://carportsandmore.com/

$1,860+tax for a 10x20x8 A-frame roof (looks much cleaner than the standard roof) delivered and installed seems like a solid deal.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

theres lots of led lights that can be wired such “wireless wall control”

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Anyone have an external temp sensor for your thermostat / heat pump combo? Where's it installed? Mine is giving wacky readings (113 when it was maybe low 80s outside). Never noticed it before today; this is the first time I've run the a/c other than an hour or two in the afternoon, so I wondered if the temp sensor was installed too close to the heat pump, but I don't see anything. Don't see it anywhere else obvious, either. Where should I be looking?
    Ours was installed under the overhang adjacent to where the intake and exhaust for the furnace punched through the house. I doubt the installers would have punched a separate hole just for the sensor. I'm betting they snaked it through with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Ours was installed under the overhang adjacent to where the intake and exhaust for the furnace punched through the house. I doubt the installers would have punched a separate hole just for the sensor. I'm betting they snaked it through with everything else.
    Good thought, I'll check. Pretty sure the furnace exhausts on the other side of the house from the heat pump and I haven't looked over there yet. Honeywell said this thermostat could use a wired or wireless sensor, so I just hope it's not a wireless sensor hidden somewhere I'll never look.

some brands may need to calibrate the temp sensor (had this with an older daikin) [why they did this I have no idea]
    might be worth checking

Thanks! I did a full walk around the house and don't see a sensor anywhere. Might have to look under the back porch, which seems crazy to me but ??? I'll look into calibrating too. The thermometer ran very hot for a few hours this morning, and now it's reading accurately. Maybe it gets a ton of reflected sunlight in the morning. Lucky me, a treasure hunt in my own house.

Thanks! I did a full walk around the house and don't see a sensor anywhere. Might have to look under the back porch, which seems crazy to me but ??? I'll look into calibrating too. The thermometer ran very hot for a few hours this morning, and now it's reading accurately. Maybe it gets a ton of reflected sunlight in the morning. Lucky me, a treasure hunt in my own house.
    in the unit I was referencing, the sensor was internal on the intake side
    (it was an asinine design)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    in the unit I was referencing, the sensor was internal on the intake side
    (it was an asinine design)
    hahaha, it's like they were trying to hide it. How'd you find it?

Epoxy garage floors.

I've epoxied maybe a dozen garage floors and pool decks in high heat zones.

Most quality floor epoxies tout some level of ' hot tire pickup' resistance. Research for most durability.
    Like most coverings, prep is the key. Roughing the crete is best, whether by machine or etch with acid.
    Clean is the priority. Anywhere it doesn't bond to the surface will start breakdown there, then move outwards.

Give it longer to cure than it says. Days. The harder the cure, the less chance to pull up.

Non slip additives are easily found online too.

Slicker than goose shit when wet, fosho.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

hahaha, it's like they were trying to hide it. How'd you find it?
    My hvac guy knew it was there
    I don’t touch the hvac or plumbing (well, beyond taping a fitting or replacing a fixture) in my house, only elec

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Here's the chimney outside. The brick veneer has missing mortar up high, and I've been patching it this weekend using a rental boom lift. I can't bring myself to extend it fully up to the top though - I don't like heights and the boom is a bit wobbly feeling. So the part above the roof line isn't getting fixed by me.

Any reason I couldn't have the chimney chase cut off at roof line, and the roof extended out over the chase?

Tearing off the chimney entirely isn't a great option because on the inside of the house, the former chimney interior is now where the pellet stove hearth is (see pic), and there is a closet built into the chimney interior on the top floor.
    Update on my chimney saga: had the chimney lopped off at the angle of the main roof slope, extended the roof trusses out over the chimney remnant (4 trusses sistered up into the attic and fascia added to match). Roofer pulled up a lot of shingles and replaced the ice guard and roof paper stuff underneath that had gotten water damage - - chimney had leaked on the uphill side. Shingles replaced and paintwork done.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And very happy with the cost - $3600 for everything. I had a big stack of extra shingles under the deck, so that came in handy for the repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.