Page 252 of 380 FirstFirst ... 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... LastLast
Results 6,276 to 6,300 of 9498
    seems doable

what do you mean water intrusion is an issue? roof is leaky?
    do you have head height for a garage door? (head hgt of adjacent win makes bottom edge of that trim board look low...can't tell if that's a legit beam or not)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    seems doable

what do you mean water intrusion is an issue? roof is leaky?
    do you have head height for a garage door? (head hgt of adjacent win makes bottom edge of that trim board look low...can't tell if that's a legit beam or not)
    No the roof is fine. The short wall to the left is made of 2 courses of bricks with dirt between them (flower bed) and if it rains sideways in there the water drains down and seeps between the lowest course of bricks and the slab. It's never much water but it does get in there on occasion. If I frame directly against the brick there might be moisture pooling there and if we frame to rest on top of the bricks I could see issues with sealing the bottom of whatever siding we chose against the irregular brick.

I'll measure the lowest point of the carport, it's "fairly" tall but I have no idea what the height of a standard garage door is. The beam is real, vinyl over wood.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

yeah, that makes sense
    i'd assume full height walls all around (ie lose the planter)
    & i'd insulate + drywall because it's cheap, no need to tape it

re: garage door height
    there's the door opening height & then there's the height inside above the door for the lifting track, usually min 12" needed

The height between the slab and the lowest point (bottom of that white beam) is 7'11" so we should be able to make something work.
    Good point on insulation, if possible I'd prefer to have it since I'll spend a fair amount of time in that place. For the planter I was considering keeping and building right against it but it could be gutted entirely assuming that vertical support goes all the way down to the slab, big ?? on that).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

On the paver job don’t get the poly metric sand from Lowe’s if you live somewhere it rains. I think it’s from sakrete. Having to pressure wash shitty sand from a paver job for free because half washed away the first thunderstorm Is not fun. I use this stuff now
    https://alliancegator.com/gator-jointing-material/
    Also never buy any heating system from Navien. They are cheaper then everything else for a reason and impossible to get parts for. Used to use a hvac guy that exclusively put in Navien who split town. The new hvac guy I use has replaced most of those systems. The supply house also laughs when he comes in and say I told bob to stop putting those shitty Navien boilers in as they sell him a new boiler.

Thanks. We rarely run out of hot water and I’m doing the install, so not sure I want to deal with the unknown vs replacing with the same tank.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

$.02 on tankless hot water. In addition to all the other negatives listed before I'd add that some units won't turn on unless the faucet is open past X volume. In other words, if you just want a low volume of hot water to wash the dishes (my use case) you have to open the valve maybe more than you want just to get the heater to kick on. Not so with a hot water tank. I'm sure there's good reason it's designed that way. But it's definitely a drawback in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Thanks. We rarely run out of hot water and I’m doing the install, so not sure I want to deal with the unknown vs replacing with the same tank.
    If you are DYI and swapping electric for electric and are going to be in the house for awhile take a look for rebates on a hybrid/heat pump tank and do the math on lifetime ownership costs vs just the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    yeah, that makes sense
    i'd assume full height walls all around (ie lose the planter)
    & i'd insulate + drywall because it's cheap, no need to tape it

re: garage door height
    there's the door opening height & then there's the height inside above the door for the lifting track, usually min 12" needed
    If the goal is a storage space, I'd think seriously about shiplap or plywood for the walls. Being able to hang shit wherever you want to is really nice.

If you can't do a garage door due to height, maybe a double door? I've seen plenty of similar setups, particularly when a small garage gives in to being storage space.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Double door would work, good option! In my experience 75% of small garages never ever have a car in them so that makes perfect sense.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    OK experts, here's a project I've been mulling over for some time. Ms Boissal and I live in a 1200 sq ft house that works well for us but is absolutely full to the gills. We have 3 bedrooms but only 1 actually sleeps people, the 2nd is a guest room/office/cat lair and the 3rd is floor to ceiling gear. There's no basement, just a shitty crawl space, and the attic is a bitch to get into. No garage either but a super deep car port partially occupied by a shed (pic below). We've built another shed and have a giant plastic storage thing for all the yard stuff but that's barely enough to get by.

Been looking at houses a while now but the prices are so idiotic that I've been toying with the idea of a big project to gain storage. How about enclosing the whole carport, removing the shed in there, and end up with a 1 car garage with 10x the storage we have now? The footprint of the concrete pad is 27x14 so a decent amount of space. Roof is already in place. We'd need to frame above the existing short wall as well as the front and the back. Electrical is already in the attic. No need to insulate. Water infiltration can be an issue if it rains/snows the right way. Obviously the giant glass door that currently allows passage from kitchen to carport would need to become a regular and we'd probably have to wall the window into the living room (I don't want to look inside my own storage unit)

Is it the dumbest thing anyone's ever thought? I'd hire someone to deal with the bulk of this since it's beyond me, am I failing to grasp the scope of the work and getting into a 2 year $100k thing?

Attachment 406522
    Pay someone to demo the one side of that planter and put a concrete stem wall in. Have it waterproofed correctly to keep that planter in use. Have them put a curb on the far/back side for the back wall to sit on.

If you are a 3/10 on the handy scale you can probably frame it, sheathe it, flash it, wrap it, side it, and hang the inside, including the window fill in yourself.

If you need to add outlets or lighting and are scared of sparks then hire a sparky.

I like OSB with a heavy coat of paint for the interior of garage and shed spaces in lieu of drywall. More hardy, more useful.

I am not sure what the remaining house is sided with outside of the stone and masonry in the photo… but hardiplank is stupid easy with a gecko gauge.

If the garage door is going to be a weird size, a pro can put in a commercial door for a similar price… commercial doors are not panelized in standard sizes so they work well in unique instances…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

I like OSB with a heavy coat of paint for the interior of garage and shed spaces in lieu of drywall.
    Dude. He said he didn’t want to spend 100k

Carport enclosure makes sense

1. Permitting approval. Might be setback or footing or sq ft issues. Start with a local builder or dorkitecht

2. Existing windows into garage. No worky

3. Ceiling looks like vinyl. Need fireproofing.

If you’re never going to put a car in there, might be easier and cheaper to get it permitted as enclosed storage or enclosed porch and not a garage with garage door.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Yep I used those to border my retaining wall blocks, which were the border of my patio. Stake them in with rebar... HD sells 12" lengths of rebar cheap, or you can buy and cut your own cheaper. Grass will grow right over the top and hide the border nicely.
    Nice. Picked some up today. Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Except that hot water tanks are super gross after 20 years.
    I've been doing some debating over tankless to replace my ancient tank heater. I think it dates back to 1987 or so. The inspector hired when I bought my place commented on it being well past normal replacement age. It still works, but I get about half a shower worth of really hot water, the rest is still warm-hot but noticeably not scalding hot as I'd like. Showers are maybe 10 min long. In summer I take cold showers only (at which time cold = room temp). That's really all I use hot water for.

No gas at my place, electric only. The water heater is down in the garage which is below the main level. Showers are both on the second floor. Does that make any difference in efficiency?

My inspector said he'd had tankless electric installed at his place and he was very unsatisfied with it. I seem to read a lot of negative comments toward tankless. Sounds like it would be a better alternative if gas were an option. If new efficient tank heaters can approach tankless for energy savings that may be the best way to go. Or, is it possible to clean my heater out so I get more hot water volume? On the other hand, something that is more efficient would be a huge benefit. In San Diego we are currently getting ass-raped by SDGE/Sempra who are charging rate-payers the cost to fire-harden their entire transmission infrastructure, and also trying to stick us with all their wildfire-related losses for our huge 2002 and 2007 fires (still being litigated). I read recently we have the highest electricity rates in the country.

Heat pump electric (tank) will be the most efficient for energy use, but higher initial cost.

You can flush the sediment out of a hot water heater.
    Hook a hose to that drain at the bottom.

But after thirty years or more just replace it. They eventually leak.

Not getting hot water from an electric tank sounds like a thermostat.
    Having it go lukewarm after ten minutes sounds like it’s too small. Or.
    Not recharging quickly sounds like one of the two elements is shot.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    You can flush the sediment out of a hot water heater.
    Hook a hose to that drain at the bottom.

But after thirty years or more just replace it. They eventually leak.

Not getting hot water from an electric tank sounds like a thermostat.
    Having it go lukewarm after ten minutes sounds like it’s too small. Or.
    Not recharging quickly sounds like one of the two elements is shot.
    Agreed here. Your use case might justify tankless, but your existing is shot and is begging to stop working one morning (best case) or to leak water all over your utility room.
    focus.

Just an FYI with all this tankless talk.

A tankless electric needs a LOT of power to instantly heat the water. You'll most likely need to run a new circuit, and in some houses may not have the capacity. Not just a simple swap in and use the same wiring.

Same thing in gas, the pipe has to be sized to the unit or else.

We did a heat pump hot water heater a couple of years ago and have been pleased. VT has energy efficiency rebates that helped offset the cost, both local and state. Major bonus is it cools and dehumidifies the basement in the summer. The downside is in fall it sucks a lot of heat out of the basement in pure heat pump mode. Not an issue once the furnace is running for the winter, it’s a good use of the waste heat from the boiler. I run it in hybrid mode for the few weeks it’s an issue.

I've had a failing tank screw up the carpets in my basement and it sucks, when you replace the tank its really cheap to get a catch tray instaled under the new tank with a pipe to the floor drain
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like the idea of a heat pump water heater, but the drip line complicates things considerably.

Our current tank works mostly fine, but has started leaking from an unknown source (not the pressure release). It’s a slow leak, so it’s tempting to put a tray under it and nurse it for a little while longer.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^^^^^
    That unknown source is the bottom of the tank rotting out.

If you’re pulling it to put in a drain tray. Then just replace it at the same time.

How old is it? Usually date stamped on the plate.

The only good leak would be the drain valve. That is fixable if of the tank isn’t old. But a slow leak at the base is a bad sign. Shits gonna blow someday soon.
    . . .

Our current tank works mostly fine, but has started leaking from an unknown source
    Uh, that source is the water inside the tank. Which means it's rotted out and you need a new heater.

Our current tank works mostly fine, but has started leaking from an unknown source (not the pressure release). It’s a slow leak, so it’s tempting to put a tray under it and nurse it for a little while longer.
    dude your tank is fucked

Its telling you nicely to replace it VERY soon at your convienence

not nice is when you are not home, you don't have the 1k, the plumber is out of stock on water tanks or its a weekend emergency call and the tank is puking all over the basement doing water damage to your carpets

almost alll of which happened to me, I'm having a good time at a folk fest with no cell service and people I know keep walking up to me and telling me to phone home cuz the water heaters fucked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know