Page 227 of 380 FirstFirst ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 9497
    Actually a sticker right on the furnace. Thanks!

New problem is they used 2 1/2” PVC, which is impossible to find locally. Just ordered a 3” to 2 1/2” reducing coupling for a ridiculous sum.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Attachment 390892

Gonna add a dryer vent right above my furnace intake/vent. About two feet above the wall penetrations shown. That creates obvious problems. From my read code is at least 3’ from furnace intake….. I was gyrating trying to figure out how to move the dryer vent, but I think shooting the furnace intake about 5’ over lookers right, behind the holly bush, would actually be easier and probably look better too. So 90’ bend to the right, and another 90’ down so it points down again. The exterior wall is about 10’ from the furnace, so not a particularly long run otherwise.

Any critique of my proposed solution?
    Interesting installation--in Truckee our furnace has to vent a minimum of 12 feet above grade to stay above the snow. As if.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Interesting installation--in Truckee our furnace has to vent a minimum of 12 feet above grade to stay above the snow. As if.
    Yeah, it’s already going to be a maintenance issue. Average snowfall here is 150”, and 250” wouldn’t be unusual. Tempted to run it up, but that will be ugly and It’s been configured as is for a long time…..
    focus.

We have a chimney on the exterior of one wall, that originally was for a real fireplace. Fireplace is gone, there's a pellet stove in its place, with a flue exiting through the side of the chimney. Chimney top is capped.

The chimney needs maintenance annually, because its exterior is brick veneer and it's painted. Water tends to run down it and damage the paint, and there's mineral deposits yay build up too.

Question: since it's not an actual chimney anymore, and never will be again, could I cut off the chimney at roof line and extend the roof out over the chimney? This would shelter the rest of the chimney exterior and reduce maintenance.

This would definitely be a hire a contractor type of job.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    We have a chimney on the exterior of one wall, that originally was for a real fireplace. Fireplace is gone, there's a pellet stove in its place, with a flue exiting through the side of the chimney. Chimney top is capped.

The chimney needs maintenance annually, because its exterior is brick veneer and it's painted. Water tends to run down it and damage the paint, and there's mineral deposits yay build up too.

Question: since it's not an actual chimney anymore, and never will be again, could I cut off the chimney at roof line and extend the roof out over the chimney? This would shelter the rest of the chimney exterior and reduce maintenance.

This would definitely be a hire a contractor type of job.
    This one is gonna need pictures.....

Seems like less work (i.e. no messing with roof) to tear it down and just fix the pellet vent as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    This one is gonna need pictures.....

Seems like less work (i.e. no messing with roof) to tear it down and just fix the pellet vent as needed.
    I'll post pics tomorrow. Tearing it off the wall would be big...
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'll post pics tomorrow. Tearing it off the wall would be big...
    It's super fun, though. I demoed a 2 story brick one once. I kind of undermined the bottom like you would cut a tree, then pried it away from the eave line. Tiiimbeeeerrrr...

Cleanup was kind of a bitch, but it was an awesome video.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Or encapsulate the chimney with siding that matches rest of house.
    . . .

Here's the chimney outside. The brick veneer has missing mortar up high, and I've been patching it this weekend using a rental boom lift. I can't bring myself to extend it fully up to the top though - I don't like heights and the boom is a bit wobbly feeling. So the part above the roof line isn't getting fixed by me.

Any reason I couldn't have the chimney chase cut off at roof line, and the roof extended out over the chase?

Tearing off the chimney entirely isn't a great option because on the inside of the house, the former chimney interior is now where the pellet stove hearth is (see pic), and there is a closet built into the chimney interior on the top floor.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

You could do what you are suggesting. It’s sort of a half measure & will look that way when done. But it will solve your issue & is likely simplest.

What could go wrong?

Name:  Chimney_Earthquake020-DFs.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  78.9 KB

Here's the chimney outside. The brick veneer has missing mortar up high, and I've been patching it this weekend using a rental boom lift. I can't bring myself to extend it fully up to the top though - I don't like heights and the boom is a bit wobbly feeling. So the part above the roof line isn't getting fixed by me.

Any reason I couldn't have the chimney chase cut off at roof line, and the roof extended out over the chase?

Tearing off the chimney entirely isn't a great option because on the inside of the house, the former chimney interior is now where the pellet stove hearth is (see pic), and there is a closet built into the chimney interior on the top floor.
    Get yourself a 40' ladder and get over your fear of heights, buy a mason gun for the truck/point, prime and paint or just pay someone to do it. I too had a mortal fear of heights but needed to do a bit of tuck/point work on a brick garage , chimney and paint at about 25 feet. Once I started working for a bit the fear was overcome pretty quickly , especially when someone quotes me $4500 to paint some trim.
    If you cut off and roof over the base it will look weird and probably raise some questions when you go to sell.

You'll have to do a weird bump out in the roof to get it to extend out past the edge of the chimney. And presumably that bump out would stick out ~ 2ft past the chimney to get the drip line away from the base.

Aside from looking weird, that new roof edge would be above the pipe for your pellet stove. I wonder if that'd be a code issue.

What is with the brick corner along the right? Looks like a hell of a buckle to it, extending up past the brick too.

Can't tell if this is a camera angle issue or your house is gonna fall down....

There's no way I'm going up a ladder to the top of that chimney. I rented a 35' towable boom lift for this weekend's project, and I'm gripped being on that up at roof height - and it's got outriggers for stability.

Good point on the roof overhang over the pellet flue, if I were to have the chimney lopped off and roof extended. Also good points on the possible weird look and whether future buyers might care. Will have to consider these.

Krp - not sure what you're referring to on the buckle you see. The brick corner on the house is fine - possibly just camera angle and light when I took it this morning?

More pics of corner just now.

Cut it down low as possible. Put a roof on it there. You are going to
    eventually. U don’t need the vertical pipe on pellet stove exhaust.

Yeah, that exhaust is a little strange.

Also, lol @ 40 ladder! That's gotta weigh close to 100 pounds. What's he going to do, start a window washing business?

El Chup, I don't think there's anything wrong with what you want to do. You could take it right down to the main floor, and that might look better, but it'll cost a lot more. Really, anything beyond just having the top repointed/repaired by a mason is going to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Also, lol @ 40 ladder! That's gotta weigh close to 100 pounds. What's he going to do, start a window washing business?
    I wish I had a video of the first time I tried to stand up a 40' ladder. I could watch it whenever I thought I should be taken seriously. My firefighter friend told me she was trained to run with the thing over her head and plant it against the building like a pole vaulter so the momentum would carry it up. My solution was far less elegant or impressive.

Not looking for advice, just posting for your collective amusement: pretty sure a mouse died in our furnace.

There's a vent right above the heat exchangers that's big enough to put my head in once I unbolt it, and it smells powerfully like dead animal in there. There's basically no odor on the return side, and every register is pumping out the smell of death, so I think it has to be in the furnace. I couldn't get to where I think it might be because getting any deeper into the furnace would involve taking things apart that I'm not sure I could put back together, so I have a furnace tech coming out Wednesday. That should give him a fun post for the furnace tech equivalent of the Padded Room.

It’s so funny going to someone’s house that wants work done and you smell the dead animal smell. First I ask do u know what that smell is. They always have no idea. Then I ask if they have a mouse problem and use decon. Yes, why do u ask. I say because there is a bunch of dead mice in your walls now and that’s the smell.

No mouse poison here, little twerp just died on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    It’s so funny going to someone’s house that wants work done and you smell the dead animal smell. First I ask do u know what that smell is. They always have no idea. Then I ask if they have a mouse problem and use decon. Yes, why do u ask. I say because there is a bunch of dead mice in your walls now and that’s the smell.
    ALWAYS use the old fashioned snap-traps.

Or solve the problem permanently by getting a kitteh to do the work.

Yeah, we have a bunch of traps in the basement, in mouse-friendly locations, and occasionally get one. This little fucker got around all the traps and homed in on the furnace like a furry little suicide bomber. Even the dog isn't enjoying it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    How do people not know what that smell is?