Page 189 of 380 FirstFirst ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 9498
    A flatsawn 2x like pictured will cup and warp.

Speaking of twisting wood... I bought a fairly cheap picnic table a couple years ago- one of the table top boards had an obvious twist, but it wasn't too bad and at the time I figured we would live with it rather disassembling and putting it back on the pallet and demanding a new one.

Of course it is much worse now and really annoying me. The thing was cheap and we are in Seattle so it will never look too nice. I just want it flat. The board is 1 3/8 x 5 actual size, so to just replace I'd have to cut/plane something down I think, and don't have anything better than a circular saw. Am I dumb/wasting my time to think I can force it flattish? I was thinking of using a hole saw to counterbore some bolts.

^^^ I'm thinking dumb. What are you gonna bolt it to? And I think the term you are looking for is "forstner bit:.

Buy a shitty plane, flatten.

I built a picnic table from pt two years ago.
    Way better than the cheap shit.

We use it as a pool diving platform. Beefy and strong.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Buy a shitty plane, flatten.
    I was thinking the same thing, but with a belt sander. You'd have to refinish the table though.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Update on this. I replaced the pressure tank and that seems to have fixed the short cycling pump. But, now we have brown water, which we didn’t discover until my wife washed a big load of whites, which are now brown.

Google says that replacing the pressure tank can cause this by stirring up sediment? Also read that because the pump was short cycling sediment may have built up on the pump inlet? Paraphrasing here. Anyway, after a week of water usage my wife says it’s still brown.

Several questions here. How long should it take for the water to go clear? We have a whole house filter, two actually, a Pentek Big Blue 10” that filters to 50 microns and then a NuvoH2O that supposedly softens and filters to 5 microns. Why didn’t these filter the sediment? Possible they just got overwhelmed and now they are full and allowing sediment through? I won’t be there till next week, so I can’t look and change them till then.

Also, will the filter housing for the Pentek Big Blue 20 just screw into the base for the 10? They both appear to be same size at the base. By switching to the 20 I could filter down to 1 micron.

Edit: looking at ISBM’s photo I think my filter could be a Pentair.
    Are you getting brown water from cold water faucets? Hot water tanks can be a source of brown water when a large "chunk" of crap breaks loose. I had that happen and it took several flushes to get all of the deposits out. Outside water faucets should always be unsoftened water. Using softened water outside is a needless waste of salt when the unit regenerates more frequently. I have a 22 yer old water softener that regenerates on demand. The timer has a hardness setting, tell it how hard your water is. It then knows to regenerate after 12,000 gallons of water usage.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Are you getting brown water from cold water faucets? Hot water tanks can be a source of brown water when a large "chunk" of crap breaks loose. I had that happen and it took several flushes to get all of the deposits out. Outside water faucets should always be unsoftened water. Using softened water outside is a needless waste of salt when the unit regenerates more frequently. I have a 22 yer old water softener that regenerates on demand. The timer has a hardness setting, tell it how hard your water is. It then knows to regenerate after 12,000 gallons of water usage.
    12000 gallons??? Mine regenerates every 1000 gallons.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Speaking of brown water, I did a well disinfection a few weeks ago and this came out of the faucet after a few days of disinfection water sitting in the well/pipes.

Name:  IMG_2820.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  43.9 KB
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Ugh, seems I shot myself in the foot last week talking about inspections when I said we bought our (1848) home with the attached barn/garage "as is".

Henri kicked my ass to finally show some long time failures in the wall between barn and TV room.

Barn wall is rapidly deteriorating, which led to a major ceiling leak / mold situation in the attached room.

Awaiting a call back from insurance, not sure if this is covered or not..

I can fix it, but estimated materials cost is 2k+ with 20-30 hrs labor.

No contractors out yet, but guessing they'll quote 5-7k.

Hopefully insurance covers it.. deductible is $1,000.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210825_112321.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	383513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210825_112129_resized.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	383514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210825_122230.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	383515

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

ID:	383514
    i know you are in snow zone so likely no gutters, but you need to redirect water away from the wall below the eave line
    that green zone on the siding is a clue that that wall is going to stay wet thru wet season
    (& you may have further hidden issues behind that green stain)

either create a positive cricket that pushes draining water away from the adjacent wall
    or, use a limited gutter/downspout system to allow water to get to the ground without soaking the wall

that is a long term risk surface: everything below that last piece of step flashing
    try to tie it into you insurance claim, if you can

Ugh, seems I shot myself in the foot last week talking about inspections when I said we bought our (1848) home with the attached barn/garage "as is".

Henri kicked my ass to finally show some long time failures in the wall between barn and TV room.

Barn wall is rapidly deteriorating, which led to a major ceiling leak / mold situation in the attached room.

Awaiting a call back from insurance, not sure if this is covered or not..

I can fix it, but estimated materials cost is 2k+ with 20-30 hrs labor.

No contractors out yet, but guessing they'll quote 5-7k.

Hopefully insurance covers it.. deductible is $1,000.

Name:	20210825_112321.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	383513Click image for larger version. 

ID:	383514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210825_122230.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	383515
    good luck with the insurance company on that...

also sorry...shit like that sucks to deal with...ive had floods before and shit ruined...its a bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i know you are in snow zone so likely no gutters, but you need to redirect water away from the wall below the eave line
    that green zone on the siding is a clue that that wall is going to stay wet thru wet season
    (& you may have further hidden issues behind that green stain)

either create a positive cricket that pushes draining water away from the adjacent wall
    or, use a limited gutter/downspout system to allow water to get to the ground without soaking the wall

that is a long term risk surface: everything below that last piece of step flashing
    try to tie it into you insurance claim, if you can
    Also that step flashing to weather barrier is underlapped instead of overlapped

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Also that step flashing to weather barrier is underlapped instead of overlapped
    I know, but didnt until I pulled it apart this afternoon. Big part of what I'm hoping to have fixed if insurance will buy in.

And thanks for mentioning the runoff, I have always known its a problem, and this is the perfect time to discuss it with the ins guy

I know, but didnt until I pulled it apart this afternoon. Big part of what I'm hoping to have fixed if insurance will buy in.

And thanks for mentioning the runoff, I have always known its a problem, and this is the perfect time to discuss it with the ins guy
    Not just runoff. That area looks freeze/thaw prone. Capillary action can be a real bitch. Leave some space between bottom of shakes and the roof deck too.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Not just runoff. That area looks freeze/thaw prone. Capillary action can be a real bitch. Leave some space between bottom of shakes and the roof deck too.
    +1

insurance shot me down, not a "immediate or catastrophic" incident, but "gradual deterioration".

Have a recommended local roofer coming by for a quote, but likely will turn into a DIY/ Learning Experience.

I'll keep yall updated as things progress..

And to the comments above (showing my ignorance) "shakes" and "positive cricket" are both gobbledygook to me. Can you elaborate before I start the Google machine?

Looks like there is previous step flashing under the paper, step flashing on top of that is also too short along with no kick out flashing. You need to follow the green down the wall, you might have some hidden surprises under there and you might as well deal with it now.

wtf are "shakes"?
    shingles

but technically of a different cut/size
    terms get used interchangeably sometimes

https://parr.com/products/cedar-shin...1%2F2%E2%80%B3.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Looks like there is previous step flashing under the paper, step flashing on top of that is also too short along with no kick out flashing. You need to follow the green down the wall, you might have some hidden surprises under there and you might as well deal with it now.
    This is unfortunately becoming the plan.. Im afraid of what I'll find, but I think my next few (many) weekends are now booked.

This is unfortunately becoming the plan.. Im afraid of what I'll find, but I think my next few (many) weekends are now booked.
    I’m not a diy or death kinda guy like lots of people on here, but given your relative lack of experience and long term consequences to screwing this up, I might hire a professional even if it’s more $.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’m not a diy or death kinda guy like lots of people on here, but given your relative lack of experience and long term consequences to screwing this up, I might hire a professional even if it’s more $.
    I think I have enough background to get it done right, and from my estimate a pro is at least 2x material cost if not more.

I'll honestly enjoy learning about the process and will definitely do it right, just have to convince the wife it's worth the $ to have me unavailable for kid stuff the next few weekends..

Should be an easy enough sell.

Kinda looking forward to the project, although I wish I didn't have to. I work indoors all day, a few days doing manual labor on my roof actually sounds like a welcome break if that makes any sense..

The outdoor stuff will be fun. Once I hit the ceiling indoors I may cave and hire someone. I already know how to do it, just hate patchwork mudding and the time/detail it takes to get things flat.

Mudding is the worst

sanding is the worst
    FIFY
    focus.

Mudding is the worst
    and they guys that do it well are fucking masters in my opinion....ive taped and mudded more walls than I care to discuss and I still massively suck at it.....