Page 159 of 384 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 9597
    OK, way back in the day I hired a few regulars from the local watering hole to torch off the paint (can you say lead) from all the trim, sand, primer and repaint it. One day my wife calls me to get my ass home. Apparently one of the guys was pounding Club cocktails at 9am while up on a ladder. I had to let him go as a warning to the rest. Hiring those drunks saved me at least 50% compared to painters that would not remove all the old paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Lots of these contractors and painters, etc (tradesmen) are drunks on the wagon. I always offer too but tend to keep some refreshments other than booze around for those that don't partake.

L]
    what?

Lots of these contractors and painters, etc (tradesmen) are drunks on the wagon. I always offer too but tend to keep some refreshments other than booze around for those that don't partake.

~ ~ Weeds cool with me anytime my kids ain't around.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    As a Painter who gets a lot of work because I'm not a drunk, I rather interpreted this to mean Skidog would be loading the bowls all day.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    ...weed...wtf? What kind of contractors and crews do you guys hire....jeez.
    If you don't think a huge majority of carpenters are smoking weed all day, I got some swampland in florida to sell you.

I actually miss getting blazed, cranking the tunes, and hanging some doors. That was way more fun than my current job, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    If you don't think a huge majority of carpenters are smoking weed all day, I got some swampland in florida to sell you.

I actually miss getting blazed, cranking the tunes, and hanging some doors. That was way more fun than my current job, usually.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    As a Painter who gets a lot of work because I'm not a drunk, I rather interpreted this to mean Skidog would be loading the bowls all day.

Yepper...dabs probably

Yepper...dabs probably

Boom Shaka Laka !

Hell, your hut looks dreary from here, I'll be right along.

I bought a house built in the 70s and the power outlets in the two upstairs bathrooms cannot run simple things like a hair dryer or charge small bathroom things (shaver, toothbrush, etc) without flipping a breaker on an outlet down in the garage and losing power. All other outlets in the house are fine (as far as we know). Do i just replace the bathroom outlets with GFIs? Or is this gonna be a lot more complicated with significant consequences if i fuck it up/am wrong? Electricians are fucking expensive and the two i used to MTB with have moved out of state so i have no bro-hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I bought a house built in the 70s and the power outlets in the two upstairs bathrooms cannot run simple things like a hair dryer or charge small bathroom things (shaver, toothbrush, etc) without flipping a breaker on an outlet down in the garage and losing power. All other outlets in the house are fine (as far as we know). Do i just replace the bathroom outlets with GFIs? Or is this gonna be a lot more complicated with significant consequences if i fuck it up/am wrong? Electricians are fucking expensive and the two i used to MTB with have moved out of state so i have no bro-hookup.

GFI is not the answer to your issue, although it might be a good idea to put them in anyway. The breaker itself may be faulty or a loose connection may be causing the issue. There are numerous other possibilities as well. I'd check those first, and then call for professional help.

https://mariaelectricals.com/circuit...on%20is%20here

Try replacing the breaker, they can go bad. GFI or lack thereof is not the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

you should be able to run small bathroom things maybe you need an electritian ?

A minor remodel in my 70's house that turned sour was replacing the range hood with a new shinny fan/ micro wave and suddenly the breaker kept tripping

i was about to call a pro when junior ( an electro mechanical tech ) pointed out microwaves take a lot more juice than one of those old range hoods so maybe that circuit needs upgrading or SFT so I just plugged it into the counter plugs and problem solved
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

flipping a breaker on an outlet down in the garage and losing power
    So you're saying that your bathroom branch circuits are in series with a GFCI receptacle in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Try replacing the breaker, they can go bad. GFI or lack thereof is not the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'd replace the outlet first, then the breaker. A basic duplex outlet is just cheap and easy to replace for the purposes of troubleshooting (even though there is very little that can go wrong, 50 years old is old and shit happens). It's a is a low hanging fruit in the list of things that could be wrong. Breakers aren't meant to be used like light switches and wear out rapidly if they're tripped too much. Most are easy enough to DIY, but your panel will vary. Next step would be finding the short in your wiring and at that point you'd want a real sparky looking at it.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    So you're saying that your bathroom branch circuits are in series with a GFCI receptacle in the garage?
    Good catch. GFCI receptacles wear out much faster than breakers. I'd replace all the receptacles on that circuit first, GFCI included.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Check also that some bozo might have installed an AFCI breaker at the panel for that circuit. Hair dryers and other appliances will trip those.

Ah, saw that it's tripping a GFCI in the gayrage. Yeah, change that first and see what happens.

Edit - that garage outlet might be a combo AFCI/GFCI but I thought they had the bugs worked out of those in regards to tripping with appliances.

Yep. No idea why it was wired that way.

Guys, we have a nice Kohler toilet made in 1987 in gray that matches the sink and tub. The flapper is leaking and I just can not find the same slightly larger size anymore than the current (same) model number is using. I can replace it for $1,100 or do I just change out the entire flush valve for $60?
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-04-29 112024.png
Views: 479
Size:  231.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Replace the whole toilet? No.

I replaced the guts of a Kallista (Kohler's high end brand) with generic parts, and it works fine.

Cheap way of GFCI protecting your bath outlets

Because GFCIs used to cost a lot more than they do today, so that way was easy and cheap.

What brand is the electrical panel?

When you replace the GFCI receptacle you can run a pigtail and your bathroom outlets will no longer run through the GFI to get to the bathroom. Probably want to install one in bath and wire to run through outlet to downstream outlets though.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    I'd replace the outlet first, then the breaker. A basic duplex outlet is just cheap and easy to replace for the purposes of troubleshooting (even though there is very little that can go wrong, 50 years old is old and shit happens). It's a is a low hanging fruit in the list of things that could be wrong. Breakers aren't meant to be used like light switches and wear out rapidly if they're tripped too much. Most are easy enough to DIY, but your panel will vary. Next step would be finding the short in your wiring and at that point you'd want a real sparky looking at it.
    Echoing this. Had similar issue. Replaced outlet. Issue gone.

To troubleshoot, flip the breaker to off and make a list of everything that isn't powered. Then turn the breaker on, and trip the GFCI in the garage and see what isn't powered. Then you'll know what the whole circuit looks like, and if the garage receptacle is first.

If there's nothing on it other than those (3?) receptacles, and your panel is modern enough that GFCI breakers are available for it, you could install one, and replace the receptacles with regular ones.

If there's more stuff on the circuit then I'd do what tuco suggests and pigtail in the first box. If the last two are in the bathroom you could just add one GFCI in series to cover both.

To troubleshoot, flip the breaker to off and make a list of everything that isn't powered. Then turn the breaker on, and trip the GFCI in the garage and see what isn't powered. Then you'll know what the whole circuit looks like, and if the garage receptacle is first.

If there's nothing on it other than those (3?) receptacles, and your panel is modern enough that GFCI breakers are available for it, you could install one, and replace the receptacles with regular ones.

If there's more stuff on the circuit then I'd do what tuco suggests and pigtail in the first box. If the last two are in the bathroom you could just add one GFCI in series to cover both.
    GFCI breakers are much more expensive and can be larger than standard breakers. GFCI outlets are cheaper than that and prone to failure. What's the upside here?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk