Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I get a pair of spoon 138?

Anyone, talk me into or out of getting a pair of 138?

At the moment I ski a pair of Rocker 2 122 192 and RPC 112 Pure3 mounted with quiver killers, guardian and radical st's. How much better would the spooned 138 be in deep pow? And how deep does it have to be, before they really start to be fun?

Or put it another way. How much more fun are a pair of 138 in AK, compared to my current skis?

skis with rocker can float to the surface faster and have a more "floaty" feel.

skis with "spoon" (or TBT, or 3d, etc) have that floaty feel when turning, AND sliding sideways. Downside is harder to get onto edge for any firmer snow. plus side harder to catch an edge on mixed or soft snow. Its a tool for a very specific job (and a REALLY fun job)

the spoons for heli, or touring only, would be amazing, but not sure how much "daily" use they would get

Thanks!

But I don't think that answers any of my questions!

Edit: Not trying to be rude. It's just that I know what they are, how it works in theory etc. As far as Touring goes, I'm lucky enough to do it every week during winter. So I'm trying to figure out what I can expect from a pair of 138 (with spoon) compared to my current setup.
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 08-23-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: rudness

Playful slarvy ski? Not really sure what else you could expect . With them being 138 under foot with lots of rocker i don't think you would need more than 10cms of snow for them to work as designed . I had a pair of arg' s for a few seasons and all they needed was 10cms or so and I'm not exactly the lightest guy on the mountain. They won't touch the bottom you can ski Sideways with ease and pretend you're mr mconkey
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

My roommate just got some new Lotus 138 (with spoon). The spoon is less pronounced than I expected, and only for the first ~20cm of the tip before it's a regular rockered ski (19x length).

IMO, get a ski that makes the shitty turns less shitty. Not the best 2% of turns a little bit better. I have lotus 120's that I only used once last season. Ski a ~110 underfoot touring most of the time. Awesome pow is awesome regardless what you have. Crust and crud and difficult situations are scary on uber pow skis.

...is this evidence I'm getting old?

Having skied the L120 spoon, I would say that the spooning doesn't offer much noticeable difference in pow (for how I ski anyway). I would get some used L138 and put a 2-3 deg base bevel for similar performance. If you like the length of the RPC and Rocker 2 122, I would size up to the 202 L138. They ski VERY short. Just my $0.02.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I wouldn't get a pair unless I just had to spend $1300 on skis and did nothing but cat/heli ski.

Touring on a 138mm ski has got to suck. talk about drag.

Spoon or no spoon (and look into this, as you don't seem to understand the construction - as Angry mentioned, they are only spooned at the tip), they are 138, fully rockered, skis designed for surfing pow - and from all accounts are killer at it. You'll have to make up your own mind regarding whether or not that is 'better' for you. I'd imagine touring in anything but deep pow would be... difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    I have lotus 120's that I only used once last season. Ski a ~110 underfoot touring most of the time. Awesome pow is awesome regardless what you have. Crust and crud and difficult situations are scary on uber pow skis.

Yes
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

My roommate just got some new Lotus 138 (with spoon). The spoon is less pronounced than I expected, and only for the first ~20cm of the tip before it's a regular rockered ski (19x length).

IMO, get a ski that makes the shitty turns less shitty. Not the best 2% of turns a little bit better. I have lotus 120's that I only used once last season. Ski a ~110 underfoot touring most of the time. Awesome pow is awesome regardless what you have. Crust and crud and difficult situations are scary on uber pow skis.

As a curiosity, what was your 110? Can't think of any skis that are actually 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    As a curiosity, what was your 110? Can't think of any skis that are actually 110.
    Sally Czar 182 (111 in that length I think)

Can't think of any skis that are actually 110.
    Praxis MVP, ON3P Jeffrey (pre 14/15).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

CD7 / CD110

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Touring on a 138mm ski has got to suck. talk about drag.

Just work out more.

IMO, get a ski that makes the shitty turns less shitty. Not the best 2% of turns a little bit better.

Yep, it sure is.
    But I agree.

.I have lotus 120's that I only used once last season. Ski a ~110 underfoot touring most of the time. Awesome pow is awesome regardless what you have. Crust and crud and difficult situations are scary on uber pow skis.

I'm old but I did the exact opposite last season ... the 120's were the new "hammer" and everything looked like a nail

edit: i kinda wish the hybrid 120's were a little lighter but I did like em everywhere, I haven't skied the 138's but are they gona be as much an everywhere everyday ski ... how much is too much?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-23-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Anyone, talk me into or out of getting a pair of 138?
    How much better would the spooned 138 be in deep pow? And how deep does it have to be, before they really start to be fun?
    Or put it another way. How much more fun are a pair of 138 in AK, compared to my current skis?
    In general the RPC is way more fun 95% of the time. For the last 5% the 138s can be a hoot. I have both and seldom ski the 138s simply because they are too specialized. Rather have the RPC on a heli for the same reason. RPC is more versatile on a day's worth of typical big mtn snow conditions. Not getting rid of the Spoons mind you. These were my 2nd pair of 138s so I knew their limitations for my own use. Happy to have them for the last glorious 5% days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    In general the RPC is way more fun 95% of the time. For the last 5% the 138s can be a hoot. I have both and seldom ski the 138s simply because they are too specialized. Rather have the RPC on a heli for the same reason. RPC is more versatile on a day's worth of typical big mtn snow conditions. Not getting rid of the Spoons mind you. These were my 2nd pair of 138s so I knew their limitations for my own use. Happy to have them for the last glorious 5% days.
    Interesting. This is pretty much exactly the same use case I was thinking about. Why is it you would bring your RPC instead of your 138 for heli? Are the 138 "that bad" in a bit of funky snow?

I can't speak to helis and all that shit, but IMO, funky snow, as long as it's soft, is where R/R skis shine. It doesn't even have to be deep, a couple inches is enough for a R/R ski to do its thing. If you like the feel of slarvin' your tits off, R/R is your jam. If you want a more locked in feeling, stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Just work out more.
    lol...

Interesting. This is pretty much exactly the same use case I was thinking about. Why is it you would bring your RPC instead of your 138 for heli? Are the 138 "that bad" in a bit of funky snow?
    Heli skiing day in and day out ain't always what you might want heli skiing to be.

138s are great in soft funky snow. It is the hard snow I get concerned about. Just don't like working any harder than planned. Sounds like you'd be happy with a pair of 138s from what you are saying. As I said aint getting rid of mine but could also live without them easy enough. I find the 138 and bigger Spoon "wishful thinking" skiis for the most part. As in "wish the snow was" better or wish I had the Spoon's (pick your Spoon size) on for the moment.

Some of the best days on my 138s have been lift skiing them on huge days and some of the worst days as well...all on the same run. Rather not think about my skis to be honest. RPC allows that a bigger percentage of the time for me.

You asked ...but seems like a no brainier. You need a pair of Spoons. Only way you'll actually know the answer is by owning a pair for a season or two.

Edit, Sorry for the unintentional misrepresentation. If I was booked to heli ski I'd take and plan on the RPC as the daily driver. If the conditions were mind blowing (50/50 chance on that IMO) I'd have the Spoon (real Spoon not the 138 Spoon) in reserve ready to rock

Thanks for input everybody!
    Good to know that I may not notice any difference with the tip spooning. I still want a pair of big fat full rocker skis, so I'll just get a pair and hope I won't have to sell them off in disgust!
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 08-25-2014 at 05:46 AM.

No...Unless you're doing multiple heli trips.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Too late. I have a pair on order.

Full retail?! Are you a well heeled dentist?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Full retail?! Are you a well heeled dentist?
    I am thinking a rapper... And diff strokes, but for my major POW day give me a pair of 193 ON3P C&Ds or 196 Praxis Protests...