Thumbs up Climbers/Boulderers? Wyo/Colo area

I didn't really know where I should post this, but with the season winding down and other activities coming up... One of my friends publishes books, and they are getting ready to release a new guide book to bouldering around Vedauwoo, Wyoming (located off of I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne, just north of the CO line...) Any WY and/or CO mags that rock climb probably already know where it is, but if you are ever cutting accross the countryside on I-80, this place is worth a stop...

Anyway, here is a link to the site with the new book. They are having a release party tomorrow here in Laramie at the new bouldering gym ("The Backyard"). I'll be skiing, however... This book is a good thing to have if you travel to/through/around the area.

http://www.extremeangles.com

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

72twinnie I saw you mentioned boudering somewhere before and figured you had to be part of the Laramie crew.

Most definitely getting up there a few times this spring/summer with some of the FC guys (Blunk and Old Man). Too bad I am fat and suck since I have been skiing instead of bouldering. Besides I am old.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    I didn't really know where I should post this, but with the season winding down and other activities coming up...
    What? Season winding down? WHAT????? Shit...who told you the season was winding down. The sick couloir riding is just beginning up north mang!~
    Heading out tomorrow to make an attempt on the Diagonal Couloir on Pinnacle Butte. Then, trip into the Ramshorn with Thomas Turiano for some first descents next weekend. Next stop (Memorial Weekend), attempt on the Skillet Glacier, Mt. Moran and Middle Teton. Then to get some corn in the Sierras. Possibly head down to the Medicine Bows to ride the couloirs on Med.Peak...The season is just beginning bradda. When are you gonna come up and ski? Bouldering, climbing, maybe in July....Maybe

what he said
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Wysplit_ride
    What? Season winding down? WHAT????? Shit...who told you the season was winding down. The sick couloir riding is just beginning up north mang!~
    Heading out tomorrow to make an attempt on the Diagonal Couloir on Pinnacle Butte. Then, trip into the Ramshorn with Thomas Turiano for some first descents next weekend. Next stop (Memorial Weekend), attempt on the Skillet Glacier, Mt. Moran and Middle Teton. Then to get some corn in the Sierras. Possibly head down to the Medicine Bows to ride the couloirs on Med.Peak...The season is just beginning bradda. When are you gonna come up and ski? Bouldering, climbing, maybe in July....Maybe
    Yeah, BUUUUHHHHHHdy. Deffinately be hittin' the medbow chutes after Memorial Day....

I gotta kill all the spiders that are probably holed up in my crash pad in the garage...
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

dood....did u see the pics from Alta the Bird? and Vail?

aint over yet sir! but the long range looks warm. could climb here in Front Range this weekend with 7o on Sunday.

or just hit the Basin for some yummy corn
    "Oh yeah...and she gave me her number too!"

Hey 72T...what is the hiking in/camping situation there? Buddy of mine is joining me for a few days and we want to climb and hike for a few days....preferably kinda remote camping bc. We're really lookin to do some mulit pitch climbs for a day/two and do the bc hiking camping another two..if we could mix the both in a nearby area that would be awesome.

thx for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdy2ski
    Hey 72T...what is the hiking in/camping situation there? Buddy of mine is joining me for a few days and we want to climb and hike for a few days....preferably kinda remote camping bc. We're really lookin to do some mulit pitch climbs for a day/two and do the bc hiking camping another two..if we could mix the both in a nearby area that would be awesome.

thx for any info.
    Well, Vedauwoo is pretty good right now - most of the snow/moisture is gone. There are still some drifts and wet/mud spots. There is obviously plenty of climbing, but it isn't exactly what I would call remote. You'll run accross other climbers; alot of the locals are hitting it now. If you get around the back side and away from some of the recreation areas, you'll see alot less people. You can also go off in the Blair-Wallis area (to the west of the main Vedauwoo area) for more seclusion. You can go up in the BC of the Snowy Range (still lotsa snow) if you want to do some bc skiing/camping.

If you come up through Ft. Collins, or stop into Laramie before going up to Vedauwoo, stop into a climbing shop and pick up "Heel and Toe" - it's a sweet guide book of the area. If you come in to Laramie, go to Cross Country Connection, located at the corner of 2nd street and Grand Ave in Downtown. They'll have all the info you'll need. They just got in a huge climbing order too, and have all the gear you may need. They do discounts on pro and gear if you buy 5 or more pieces of the same-style thing (cams, nuts, biners, etc.)

...I'll see if I can get some more info for you and I'll post it or PM you in the next few days.

Cheers!

LINK

Here is a pretty good link about the area, although it is kinda getto and hard to navigate (I think it is under construction) but once you get into it there is alot of info...

http://www.vedauwoo.org

Don't forget some BIG cams...

More info here.

Great place to climb sandbagged flaring offwidths. Fortunately, I like that kind of thing.
    In with the 9.

I just picked my own personal copy of the new book; it is really well done. Plus, it is smaller so it's easier to stash in a pack or larger pocket. Gonna go check out some spots this week after work...

hey i boulder more than anything....before i moved to colorado i lived in casper and climbed with a lot of the dudes there.....wyoming has a really rad climbing crew forsure! 307 bouldering
    "Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."

powderhoud did you graduate from HS in casper?