Backcountry fishing pole? diy

Going on an extended backpack/float and thinking of making a fishing pole in the backcountry. Thinking ill bring some line and a lure, and be able to put a pole together at camp to catch some dinner...Any suggestions or tips?
    Drive slow, homie.

Hugh Conway Guest
    yeah. flyrods or small spinning rods don't weigh much or take up much space and are much more useful if you want to catch fish or fuck around. or you can find some survivalists and ask them.

I know, thanks.
    Drive slow, homie.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i don't understand backcountry fishing
    in the keys you can drive a 25' backcountry boat less than 3 miles and be backcountry fishin
    or you can tenkara with a willow or tami branch & drink your own piss
    it's both backcountry fishin
    i'd go ronco pocket fisherman
    or roatone
    i gots an six piece ugly stick that would convert tween a spinner and fly
    only gots 5 pieces now
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    I know, thanks.
    it you don't get why boaters think packrafts suck donkey balls, no wonder you don't get why fishers think shit poles (if you could even call them that) suckey donkey balls. especially if you want to catch dinner.

sorry one of the cool kids didn't answer for you.

A switch from a banyan tree really lays it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    it you don't get why boaters think packrafts suck donkey balls, no wonder you don't get why fishers think shit poles (if you could even call them that) suckey donkey balls. especially if you want to catch dinner.

sorry one of the cool kids didn't answer for you.
    That is all easy to understand. If you want to boat class V water you don't want a packraft, just as if you want to fish all day you don't piece together a pole.

What I don't get is why people feel the need to tell other people what they are doing "sucks". I just don't see what purpose that serves. Boredom I guess? Have whatever type of fun you want to have, not my business.

All good ill delete this - doesn't belong here I suppose.
    Drive slow, homie.

Hugh Conway Guest
    If you don't get why I say trying to catch fish - especially if you need them to eat - with a pole you cut from a riverbank sucks (or a handline sucks, or any other half-assed emergency way to do it), go right out and try it yourself instead of getting butthurt some asshole on the internet who all your cool bro taint lickers and fart sniffers have created idiotic backstories for thinks it takes a bunch of time and doesn't work very well (BECAUSE YOU DONT FUCKING CATCH FISH) and if you need to eat that, or just want to supplement your diet, it's alot more time for the less or no reward. And that couple ounces for a real rod pays off with fish in the pan quick.

So, no, you don't get it. Because you might spend an entire day trying to get a fish with your shit equipment vs.r 15 minutes with a "real" rod.

I also don't have my rod available, but know where it is so don't want to buy a new one. Seemed like a decent way to spend an hour (not more) to see if I could get something. Would just be a bonus. More interested to see if it will work than needing to supplement. I've eaten enough trout and don't care enough to make sure ill eat more - as you can tell.
    Drive slow, homie.

I keep a small tin with a couple meters of 10lbs test, a couple bare hooks, and a couple emergents like a Tom Thumb and a streamer like a royal coachman in the tool kit. Tie it to a willow or dogwood switch about 5 or 6ft in length. I find keeping the line length to just under the length of my arm plus the switch. Not the greatest method for catch an release, but the idea is to set the hook and flip the fish onto the bank as quickly as possible. Soft mouthed species like Kokanee don't come in so well. Caught lots of pan-fry trout and char from small creeks and lakes this way; they take the hook about as consistently as they would if I had my regular gear so I don't rely on either to supply dinner. I've never done this by boat, but can't see why not, but if there is a boat to carry my gear then the rod comes as well anyway. If you are of the mind that any day fishing is better than a day in the office, it's great way to kill an hour or two. Have fun on your trip!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i never said it sucks

but if you wanna fish and catch fish a rod and reel probably is a good idea
    or you can fish noodlin, handlineing, ghetto tenkaraing
    set a trotline, create a fish weir, zipplock bag jugline
    troll off the back of your craft whatever
    all sounds about as entertaining as backcountry skiing with dyi mcquiver skis
    and well
    my tip or advise is handlining will probably more or at the least effective and unless you plan on dabblin a dry or somehow using a pole is gonna make this more pleasurable or core.
    oh and you don't need really a leader straightner.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    What I don't get is why people feel the need to tell other people what they are doing "sucks".
    It's TGR, brah. Get with it.

handline and nalagene
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

ski pole