Some Beartooth Fishing

I just got back from 11 days in the Beartooths, and thought I'd share a bit of the fishing I did. I started my trip at the Island Lake trailhead and hiked the plateau across to the Lady of the Lake trailhead, and got in quite a bit of fishing along the way. The weather wasn't the greatest, but a little rain usually doesn't stop me from throwing a few flies.

The first camp at Albino Lake, where I stayed for a few days:

Some camp visitors:

A pretty typical 15-18" cutthroat out of one of the Cloverleaf Lakes:

Looking West across the plateau from the top of Lonesome Mountain:

Camp at Maryott Lake. Unfortunately some guys decided it was cool to camp about 200' out the front flap of my tent here, and seemed to linger around me worse than the mosquitos for the next few days.

But they didn't seem to be very adept fisherman, so I caught some big fish anyway:

Everything seemed to be in full bloom at every elevation, and the Indian Paintbrush was incredible.

It rained almost my entire two-day stay at Flat Rock Lake, but I did manage to catch quite a few fat little cutthroats out of the lake. They had a really interesting tint to them that kind of matched the glacial silt in the lake, although I forgot to take a photo of one.

Some of the lakes were still pretty chilly up there:

Fossil Lake was spectacular, as usual, and I was catching little 10-14" cutthroats out of it nearly every cast.

Looking Glass Lake held a really surprising number of great-looking cutthroats that were pretty quick to take a streamer. I didn't end up having much time to fish here due to weather, but I caught a quick 10-12 of these before taking off.

My camera died right after this, so this is all I have for photos, but it was a great trip! The fishing was excellent at almost every lake, as usual, and there are certainly some very large fish to be had, if you're willing to put in some time hiking.

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Very cool!

Way cool!
    Drive slow, homie.

Very nice!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    cool summer shizz
    thanks 4 sharin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Terrific stuff!

cough cough cloverleaf cough cough. Nice. Planning on headed that way again very soon but this time busting towards sky pilot etc. Btw, you aren't friends with wyckoff are you?

Awesome man. Lived in Cody for 4 years, spent most of my summers in the Beartooths, love that area.

Thanks for sharing. I grew up on a ranch in Clark, Wyoming at the base of the Beartooths. This makes me horribly homesick.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

That's sweet man thanks, was thinking about heading that direction before summer is over. Great looking fish.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

man I've been dreaming of lakes like that for a while!

how bout next time, less trout on dry grass though eh?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I kept a few to eat, and the grass was throughly soaked for the entire trip. My photos don't show that 2/3 of every day was a depressing drizzle.

Thanks for the killer report. Nice job.

Wouldn't be a good fishing report if someone didn't bitch about fish handling.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

bummed the pics are missing from this one now.