Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GOPRO 4

Digging this up to ask if anyone has purchased one since this thread died down. I will probably invest in one as my Hero2 is getting a bit dated but am hung up on the silver vs. black. I would probably need a better software than iMovie to deal with 4k and 1080p @120fps? Although the built in screen on the silver is kind of attractive..

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Digging this up to ask if anyone has purchased one since this thread died down. I will probably invest in one as my Hero2 is getting a bit dated but am hung up on the silver vs. black. I would probably need a better software than iMovie to deal with 4k and 1080p @120fps? Although the built in screen on the silver is kind of attractive..
    Picked up a Silver for $75 at an REI used gear sale. Cracked front LCD, but you can still read it and the rear screen can show the same data. Also later noticed a tiny lens scratch, but it doesn't show in the footage.

For my uses, the Silver is plenty high enough resolution/FR. Shit, even that has me wishing for a bigger computer than my 5 year-old Macbook Pro because of how much it hangs. Built-in screen is very nice, IMO. I'd personally only buy the Black if you're getting into semi-pro level stuff. But that may just be me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah; I bought one in February. I got the black.

The image quality and sharpness is much improved over the Hero 3 Black.

I've only used the 1080p/30 fps, for a variety of reasons.

Battery life is TERRIBLE, so pack two extra batteries for a day on the mountain.

get the silver. smaller file sizes for one thing. 4k with the black is a bitch on most computers, you'll have to downsize them to even work with them so why even bother for basic edits for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Yeah; I bought one in February. I got the black.

The image quality and sharpness is much improved over the Hero 3 Black.

I've only used the 1080p/30 fps, for a variety of reasons.

Battery life is TERRIBLE, so pack two extra batteries for a day on the mountain.
    Get a $50 backpack battery instead.

I took a gopro 'class' this past fall. Even some of the guys teaching said that the silver is powerful enough for 95% of users. The footage would be hard for most computers to handle.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thanks for the insight everyone, seems like the silver is the way to go since I don't plan on going into cinematography any time soon. I'm pretty confident my computer could handle the 4k but I'm guessing there would be no way to unlock the full potential of the video without some pricey software.

So to clarify, 1080/30 should be better on the silver 4 than the silver 3? Can anyone comment on how much of a difference there is?

Sent from one of those fancy telephonamobobbers.

Thanks for the insight everyone, seems like the silver is the way to go since I don't plan on going into cinematography any time soon. I'm pretty confident my computer could handle the 4k but I'm guessing there would be no way to unlock the full potential of the video without some pricey software.

So to clarify, 1080/30 should be better on the silver 4 than the silver 3? Can anyone comment on how much of a difference there is?

Sent from one of those fancy telephonamobobbers.
    find a raw clip online for evaluation (not a youtube clip). see if your computer can play it back.

Fancier software will not unlock anything, if it works in imovie stick with that. or use the gopro software if you are just trimming it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    find a raw clip online for evaluation (not a youtube clip). see if your computer can play it back.

Fancier software will not unlock anything, if it works in imovie stick with that. or use the gopro software if you are just trimming it up a bit.
    the gopro stuff is actually pretty good now for free.....

east or bust
    I'd go 4 at this point, no reason to not get what's current this far into the upgrade cycle.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Well 4k does indeed work on the mid 2012 macbook pros if anyone else is interested, and holy smokes that is a sharp image.

Here's where I downloaded from.. Seems pretty legit.
    http://www.elementaltechnologies.com...test-sequences

And good point^
    Looking forward to gaping it up with dueling gopros.