Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I went for the easy option.

Attachment 157541
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    So what did you build?
    See above. It was easy, cheap, and doesn't take up too much space.

Any updates on the ski storage?

I'm looking at these threads trying to figure out what to do with the corner of my garage where all my skis are resting. I like simplicity which means I like the style of a 1x6 with some pieces coming out to let the skis rest in the vertical position with an industrial rubber mat at the bottom. The only issue I see with this is my young kids skis won't be able to reach the pieces that come out from the 1x6 which the others rest against.

Any more spin on this idea of new ideas for me to consider?

My kids' skis are currently too short to reach the dowels, which means that they lean against the wall or other skis. It's imperfect, but it doesn't really matter and I figure their skis will be long enough in another couple years. I suppose you could simply rig a second, lower 2x4 with dowels that would work for kids' skis though.

If you have the wall space, I have mine stored horizontal and keep my sisters ones lower so she can reach it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1448922198.688157.jpg 
Views:	725 
Size:	936.1 KB 
ID:	172657

Garage Ski Storage (DIY or prebuilt)

Temporary man cave build part one, some storage and maintenance space. Just made out of 2x4, will do for now as the house is bring restored as its 200 years old.

Before

After

I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

I did a lot of thinking and planning regarding this when I built some garage storage this summer...and landed on a super simple setup. Sort of a half DIY approach. I found some massive shelf brackets (24inch I think) at Lowe's or Home Depot or something and covered them with plumping insulation for protection. I can store at least 3 pairs of 110mm+ ski on each level (and a monoski for good measure) and store poles on the support bars. If I need more, I but two more brackets and it is easy as that. I explored a lot of the other options but this just seemed so easy on the skis and kept them within arms reach easily. The pictures you can sort of see them on the right. They screw easily into the studs and work so well and so simply. You can even use the supports to dry skins and gear if your garage is heated a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150702_072631.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	172662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150701_170853.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	172663

I like the horizontal options posted and that's originally what I planned on doing. Then I started thinking about snow melting from in my binding and just hanging out on the edges with nowhere to drain and causing some rust. These are the kind of in the weed thoughts I have when I'm rallying groomers mid week in November. Any feedback on whether this is an issue or not??

But my concern with the vertical hanging option is altering the shape of my rocker profile over the course of a year or two. Any feedback on this??

If I do go vertical, what is the best way to attach the dowel to the 2x4? Screw from back to front through the 2x4 that I twist the dowel onto?

I let the skis dry on a plastic boot tray before hanging cuz IME anywhere the edges touch you might get corrosion /pitting

dowel is way mo expensive and way mo harder to attach than a piece of 2x4 ... so I used 2x4 & DW screws
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I actually would say a dowel is cheaper and easier. Get 3/4" dowel and use a 3/4" bit to drill through the 2x4, then wood glue the dowel in. Done.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Get 3/4" dowel and use a 3/4" bit to drill through the 2x4, then wood glue the dowel in. Done.
    Exactly this. It should be obvious, but get a spade bit. $2 from harbor freight.

I find the height adjustability of the ceiling mounted racks useful. You can raise or lower depending on season to either get the skis out of the way or down for easier access.

Adding a rope through a padded pipe can either be added to the ceiling rack or simply used with ceiling hooks, eyebolts or lag screws, etc.

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I like this system; http://cozywinters.com/shop/pwr-grip.html, as it doesn't conflict with heavy rockered skis. Just hang it from the middle/flat part of the skis if needed. Possible to mount from a fixed rod to create multiple rows. We used this kind of system with success at an Austrian ski shop I worked at. Sorry for the broken English.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightLevel170 View Post
    I like the horizontal options posted and that's originally what I planned on doing. Then I started thinking about snow melting from in my binding and just hanging out on the edges with nowhere to drain and causing some rust. These are the kind of in the weed thoughts I have when I'm rallying groomers mid week in November. Any feedback on whether this is an issue or not??

But my concern with the vertical hanging option is altering the shape of my rocker profile over the course of a year or two. Any feedback on this??

If I do go vertical, what is the best way to attach the dowel to the 2x4? Screw from back to front through the 2x4 that I twist the dowel onto?
    I have never had an issue with any rusting or corrosion. I typically have a pretty good drive home and try and wipe the skis down before storing them for long so haven't had any issue that hasn't come off after half a run. I too was totally against the thought of hanging vertically which is how I ended up with the big horizontal brackets. I like the room hang Alpinord has going on but for me, I wanted to keep them at the wall and leave the celing for things like SUP's and bikes etc.. It is just easier for me to walk in the door and grab a pair right there and go. Sometimes the simplest solution can be the best one.

Ok, I'm headed up the the mountain to lap a few runs and think about the rack. After that I'll probably head to Home Depot and throw something together. Pictures to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorymaz View Post
    I have never had an issue with any rusting or corrosion. I typically have a pretty good drive home and try and wipe the skis down before storing them for long so haven't had any issue that hasn't come off after half a run. I too was totally against the thought of hanging vertically which is how I ended up with the big horizontal brackets. I like the room hang Alpinord has going on but for me, I wanted to keep them at the wall and leave the celing for things like SUP's and bikes etc.. It is just easier for me to walk in the door and grab a pair right there and go. Sometimes the simplest solution can be the best one.
    Wall mounts for bikes make for less lifting, especially over all kinds of other stuff in the garage.

I also have an exterior wall rack of dowels for 'grab and go' skiing from the back door and an interior rack for 'frequent flyers' right next the car and rack. The one shown above is near the tuning bench and provides additional storage ideas.

Regarding corner or general freestanding storage, I've been wondering about a 'lazy susan' approach for storing skis vertically.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I picked up a couple of these:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.6...000826488.html
    And mounted them vertically and horizontally for ski storage.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

So I finished the project. Quick and cheap. About $75 total dollars and $50 of that was from the rubber floor mats. Now I just need to keep building the quiver so it doesn't look so empty.

For good measure I threw in some garage shots of the bike rack and ski tuning/work bench(which needs some modifications to make ski waxing easier).

Nice job! I should have did what you did with the kids' skis.

Garage Ski Storage (DIY or prebuilt)

Finished this off last night, couple of shelf brackets topped with pipe lagging screwed into 18mm ply mounted on the wall.

I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Bump. Any ideas on vertical storage with skis two deep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I thought I'd reply.

I think I've seen other threads, but Amazon has a "lumber" rack - there are quite a number of them.
    However this one seems the cheapest and decent enough.
    KASTFORCE KF1005 [That's the five shelf/tier version.]

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the tiers are only 12.5" deep - which gives you about two skis deep.
    However the bars are about 1.6" diagonally, and that fits Schedule 40, 1.5" PVC pipe perfectly.

So, I got 20' of 1.5" PVC [from the depot] and cut 20" sections.

The PVC just fits the bars - you might have to tap them on with a hammer. It's a very snug fit - super nice. They won't be sliding off unintentionally.

Now I can fit three pairs of skis, and change. [If they're narrow, four pairs.]

You will probably have to either alternate tips/tails or otherwise stagger the bindings, because there's not enough clearance vertically to have all the bindings in the same place - they'll bang into the bindings of the pair in the tier above. [And won't fit.]

Alternating tips left and the next tier down/up are tips right - that solves the problem.

Given how much time you'll spend cranking out a DIY version, IMO, this is the best use of money/time, at least for me and my setup. I think I have 18 pairs in there now, and I'll probably have 2-3 more once I've got it just the way I want. Vertically, I think it's under 35" - certainly under 40" from the top of the top pairs of skis to the bottom of the bottom pair.

With the PVC pipe, I'm probably in $60. Pretty cheap for 15-20 pairs of skis.

[I'd take a pic, but there was some dude with a Bridgeport in his garage and it was so fecking spotless and organized - we'll I'm not taking a pic of *my* garage and having mags compare! Hell if you/I get lost in my garage, just call SAR.]

I was able to go 4 skis deep hanging skis verticaly in my hall entrance closet using 2x4, I needed to give 12-14inches for each pair of skis to give clearance for the bindings ( FR+ are the worst) I don't know if unsupported dowel would be strong enough to hold that 4th pair ?

IME the adjustable shelf track & struts to store horizontally was much easier faster to put up, very easy to just move the struts around to accommodate anything you want including stock 16" shelving from the lumber yard
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I thought I'd reply.

I think I've seen other threads, but Amazon has a "lumber" rack - there are quite a number of them.
    However this one seems the cheapest and decent enough.
    KASTFORCE KF1005 [That's the five shelf/tier version.]

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the tiers are only 12.5" deep - which gives you about two skis deep.
    However the bars are about 1.6" diagonally, and that fits Schedule 40, 1.5" PVC pipe perfectly.

So, I got 20' of 1.5" PVC [from the depot] and cut 20" sections.

The PVC just fits the bars - you might have to tap them on with a hammer. It's a very snug fit - super nice. They won't be sliding off unintentionally.

Now I can fit three pairs of skis, and change. [If they're narrow, four pairs.]

You will probably have to either alternate tips/tails or otherwise stagger the bindings, because there's not enough clearance vertically to have all the bindings in the same place - they'll bang into the bindings of the pair in the tier above. [And won't fit.]

Alternating tips left and the next tier down/up are tips right - that solves the problem.

Given how much time you'll spend cranking out a DIY version, IMO, this is the best use of money/time, at least for me and my setup. I think I have 18 pairs in there now, and I'll probably have 2-3 more once I've got it just the way I want. Vertically, I think it's under 35" - certainly under 40" from the top of the top pairs of skis to the bottom of the bottom pair.

With the PVC pipe, I'm probably in $60. Pretty cheap for 15-20 pairs of skis.

[I'd take a pic, but there was some dude with a Bridgeport in his garage and it was so fecking spotless and organized - we'll I'm not taking a pic of *my* garage and having mags compare! Hell if you/I get lost in my garage, just call SAR.]
    This was an excellent tip, thank you. 1.5” PVC also fits the Grizzly rack. I went with 16” instead of 20” and can still fit 3 wide.