Question So. UT Rides outside of Moab Zone?

If one were to be in Southern Utah area in the Fall, but not necessarily locked in place in Moab, what are some must do rides?

I think I'll be in the Virgin area this Fall for Rampage. Also, anything around Lake Powell worth checking out? or in the middle of the State?

Heard Thunder Mountain Trail is pretty sweet.

What else?

2x to the Thunder Mountain and Cassidy/Casto loop.

Also the classic Gooseberry experience.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Plenty of great riding around Hurricane-Virgin. Gooseberry, JEM ....if you want a sweet 25mile singletrack ride the north rim trail. Hit up Holy guacamole for a sunsetter with Zion park alpenglowin' in the background.

Just north of moab on i-70, near the border with CO is the western rim trail 23 miles with some fun cliff edge riding overlooking the colorado river. I really liked this spot and didn't see a soul.

San rafel region is pretty devoid of good singlerack, the wedge overlook was OK, but boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Here's a good resource for 1-page trail guides. We printed out a stack of them for each area- great for putting in your pocket.
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...dx-regions.htm

Second on the Thunder Mtn ride and Cassidy/ Casto- gorgeous and great singletrack.

Thunder mountain is good, but short, and lacks trees.
    Virgin Rim is gooooood: (I'd recommend a loop with Navajo Lake)

however, if you are in southern Utah before winter, do yourself a favor and hit the Brian Head area.
    One can access LOTS of good trails from the the top (there is a road to the summit).
    Namely - Bunker (both), Dark Hollow, Blow Hard. Other trails can be linked for an all dayer (i.e. Marathon)

Dark Hollow from a trip many years ago:

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Thunder sounds cool for sure and I've heard Gooseberry before so that is probably on my list now. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Plenty of great riding around Hurricane-Virgin. Gooseberry, JEM ....if you want a sweet 25mile singletrack ride the north rim trail. Hit up Holy guacamole for a sunsetter with Zion park alpenglowin' in the background.

Just north of moab on i-70, near the border with CO is the western rim trail 23 miles with some fun cliff edge riding overlooking the colorado river. I really liked this spot and didn't see a soul.

San rafel region is pretty devoid of good singlerack, the wedge overlook was OK, but boring.
    We found good riding in the Temple Wash moto trail system in the San Rafael. Ditto on the Wedge overlook, gorgeous views, but the riding, while fun, gets a little boring after awhile. Green River area is supposed to have some good riding as well.

If you're on the way from SLC a pitstop midway in Price can be very fun. There's an extremely ripeable single track trail system on top of the mesa's above town built by the local shop owner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by marcg View Post
    If you're on the way from SLC a pitstop midway in Price can be very fun. There's an extremely ripeable single track trail system on top of the mesa's above town built by the local shop owner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Luke's trails or cycleworks I believe it's called. didn't get a chance to ride there but a friend who had highly recommended it.

Also, Technically in CO, but also "outside the Moab region" Is Fruita. Which I really liked. 18rd was a blast, and they opened a new trail in May above the bookcliffs that not many people know about yet call Sarlacc. beautiful new singletrack. not to be missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Posting for my fall road trip!
    Thunder has been on the list for a while.
    Gooseberry is great too

North Rim of the Grand Canyon is also very nice in the fall.

I don't think there's much riding in SE Utah (Cedar Mesa and the like), but there's some great canyon exploring on foot or 4x4.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Buckskin gulch and the Wave are great examples for foot. I hear people like Panguich but I haven't ridden there.

I think of GBM as my home trail even though I haven't lived within 16 hours for years, and I used to worry that it was getting overrun, but lately people seem to like less challenging terrain and singletrack better (or I've been timing my trips better) because the growth seems to have leveled off. If you love GBM it's worth a stop at Springdale Cycles to see what the current story is on another of Morgan's masterpieces nearby (maybe call it miniature stream). Or contact Morgan...don't mean to be all cryptic about it, just that last time I ran into him he said access issues were being complicated by internet postings and I haven't heard otherwise since then. But definitely worth a day alongside GBM if you have a few days in the Virgin area.

nice read!

Zen trail, literally on the edge of St George, is an awesome way to spend a few hours. Only about 6 miles, but really fun techy climbing and descending.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Zen trail, literally on the edge of St George,
    Pretty much the best trail for riding quality (vs. scenery) in that whole area IMO.

That bearclaw network on the back side of that zone is fun too if you like blinding speed and wide open line choices.

If you just want to put in miles on a 29er without stressing the brakes, definitely check out the Jem trail.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Oct 25 going to the pumpkin chucking festival in moab: might ride too.

http://www.youthgardenproject.org/pumpkinchuckin/
    Last edited by mntlion; 08-17-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Going to attend the shitshow that is rampage this year. Looking like we'll have time to ride saturday and monday. Deciding between JEM/Goulds and Gooseberry Rim for at least one of those days.