Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

All-in one printer recs please?

I know there's another printer thread, but this one might be more specific.

What we need:
    Laser. Printer inkjet cartridges expiring and crapping out make me want to maim and kill.
    Small footprint for home use.
    Decent scanner for the wife's graphics biz.
    Decent scan to email for my real estate biz with lots of pages flying around.
    Document feed (see above).
    Color for the next few years of kids' high school projects.
    A decent price point. $300-$400 maybe?

Waiting with bated breath....
    And thank you.

jesus christ man, ask the fucking guy at the store or read reviews
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

tech talk? or maybe just maybe a totally different site!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

spook Guest
    i have an HP that's 7 years old and i ran that thing into the ground and it still works -- except with the new OSs of the shitty hp computer i downgraded to after my old hp workhorse -- i rant it into the ground, too -- finally died.

Had a bunch, but love my HP 8600.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    hp has already driven me mad with their fucking 'expiring' cartridges. never again.

I have 2 canon black and white multipurpose units that work great and I can get $20 generic toner for. Don't know about color.

I can recommend the Canon Image Class series. We have the D550 and it has worked flawlessly for several years. My wife does a ton of printing and scanning for work and this printer has been able to handle it well. Oh yeah, ours is a B&W printer.

All-in one printer recs please?

Brother black and white laser printer is the answer.

Dirt cheap to own and operate. I have the 2270dw. It is the best seller on Amazon for a reason.

No fucked up drivers. No expensive inkjet cartridges. Toner for it is dirt cheap.

If you really want to spend 300 to 400, you should buy this printer, then buy yourself about 20 grams of Colorado recreational bud. Then roll it into a giant spliff and smoke it while you contemplate never having inkjet rage again. You're welcome.

Hugh Conway Guest
    A color-laser all-in-one for $400 that doesn't suck?

Can ya get me a nice Queen Anne craftsman with a view for $300k?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

Sure. Detroit work for ya?

What will I need to spend then?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    hp has already driven me mad with their fucking 'expiring' cartridges. never again.
    I felt the same way, but I'm going on over a year of heavy use and same ones still. I used to hate HP!

Yes, 1997...

just get the red one.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Sure. Detroit work for ya?

What will I need to spend then?
    I did not see that you want color. You're up to 300 bucks on the brother mfc9130cw. No spliff money left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I did not see that you want color. You're up to 300 bucks on the brother mfc9130cw. No spliff money left over.
    Looks like it doesn't have a scan to email function. Close though.....

I'm in full agreement (inkjet though)
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

At $529 (on sale), it's a little bit above your budget, but this is what I would go with if I was in the market:
    http://www.costco.com/Brother-MFC-L8...100124837.html
    I've had multiple Brothers MFCs which have endured heavy office usage, sometimes with up to a couple dozen users at once and these things can take a beating. I've NEVER had an issue with them, and I'm on my 5th Brother. Clients kept reimbursing me for them, so I'd just leave them at their offices and get a new one each time I'd start up at a new place.
    Don't know about the color models, but with the extra capacity toner cartridges, I've gotten an insane amount of pages out of each one. Laser is much, much, much more economical than ink, so in the long run, spending $500+ on one is not a bad thing at all. You could probably get away with a model in the $400s range, but for the usage you're talking about, I'd go top-dog.

At $629, this HP model is also very nice, and would be my second choice. http://www.costco.com/HP-Color-Laser...100119706.html

HP's cheap-o inkjet printers do suck, but when you get into their higher tier laser printers, they're a far better experience. Still, I'm partial to Brothers due to my personal experience with them. Cheaper than the equivalent HPs, and darn reliable. HPs might have better driver support and stuff in the long run, though. I haven't had any problems with my Brothers, but they can take a bit more work to get set up sometimes depending on the model and what computer you're using.

I used to be a (Dell) laser guy for my small business and switched to the HP 8600. Read it was faster than my laser and much less cost on toner. 3 years in and I am completely satisfied. I ran out of ink and was at Staples and I couldn't remember the model # and saw one sitting there on closeout Open Box Clearance for less than the cost of the ink like $75 out the door. I just used the ink and put the new one in storage for when the original wears out. It pisses me off how much I was paying for toner for the Dell. What a racket $500 for toner.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I couldn't read through all this crap... But my business just bought a brother laser all in one and it is awesome. 4 months and we are still on the starter cartridges that came with it. Highly recommend.

Any good color laser that is in your price range will probably have: multi-pass color (ie 16 ppm black and white, but 4 or 5 ppm full color) and come with the very basic starter toner cartridges (1000 pages max usually). You then will be spending as much or maybe more than the initial cost of the printer for the first round of full size higher capacity printer toner cartridges. Over the life of the printer, you may end up spending more than upping your budget to include the $500-600 priced models because of the higher cost per page of the entry level units. There may even be a few duplex ready printers in the higher budget level. You maybe better off if you want to go sub $400 to look for open boxed/demo/returned/remanufacturered or low page count used unit.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Any good color laser that is in your price range will probably have: multi-pass color (ie 16 ppm black and white, but 4 or 5 ppm full color) and come with the very basic starter toner cartridges (1000 pages max usually). You then will be spending as much or maybe more than the initial cost of the printer for the first round of full size higher capacity printer toner cartridges. Over the life of the printer, you may end up spending more than upping your budget to include the $500-600 priced models because of the higher cost per page of the entry level units. There may even be a few duplex ready printers in the higher budget level. You maybe better off if you want to go sub $400 to look for open boxed/demo/returned/remanufacturered or low page count used unit.
    I'd have to agree with you. That's why I'm thinking it's worth upping the budget a bit to get into the $500-600 models. The Brother MFC-L8850CDW I suggested has duplex printing, which mine has, and I freaking LOVE that feature. I will never buy another printer without that. It also prints out full color or b&w at 32 pages per minute! A legal-size flatbed scanner is also a must for me, along with the document feeder as well. The OFFICIAL high-yield black toner cartridge from Brother is only ~$53 on Amazon (after-markets around $30). The color cartridges cost more individually, but you'll rarely need to replace those. You can get an entire after-market set for about $140, though. I've had great luck with the after market cartridges I've tried out, so just read reviews first.

Another feature it has is the ability to add an additional paper tray, which is huge for me. I print out both legal and standard size documents for work all the time, and use the pop-out tray for envelopes/labels. Don't know if multiple paper trays is something you need, but I certainly appreciate it. Especially when you're dealing with multiple people sharing the thing.

I have deployed a bunch of those Brother MFC's. All were in the 9000 series and all were good. I would not hesitate to buy another. Toner lasts and doesn't cost a million dollars, and the replacement parts are pretty reasonably priced. They are technically desktop size, but pretty big.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

This... HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium.. and it does not eat ink like candy... I've only changed cartridges once and those were the smaller demo sized that came with the unit... My last Brother was horrendous... very happy with this unit
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Odd comment, as I have used cartridges on laser jets that were 3 years old with no issues. I just bought a HP Office Jet Pro X576dw MFP that fucking rocks. It was $530, but worth every penny for my heavy scanner use.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.