Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 star packaged backcountry in JH

I guess we should have seen this coming. From the Lifestyle section of Forbes comes this news:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...w-this-winter/

TGR gets a nod, which seems to confirm a move in the lifestyle direction. Looks a little spendy, so I'm going to wait for Hugh Conway's TR before I book. Let us know, Hugh, with lotsa pics!

Just imagine being a guide for this: bunch of out of shape city-living bankers hell-bent on gnar terrain and endless pow, but mostly talking about their DPS, Dynafit beast, and full Arc Teryx kit. Hopefully the tips, hookers, and blow they bring with them will be worth the squeeze.

Calling GPS to the courtesy backcountry snowphone!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Sounds hellish, but I suppose guiding might be better than selling them the gear or serving their drinks in the bar. I just thought of a title for the impending screwed-pooch disaster narrative: Into Thin Snow.

Does Krakauer lurk here? Or is it time for some new young literary lion to step up?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I just thought of a title for the impending screwed-pooch disaster narrative: Into Thin Snow.

Does Krakauer lurk here? Or is it time for some new young literary lion to step up?
    I'll happily join in for the experience and author a nice fluff piece for the mainstream media if it means a free weekend with bankbros and JH BC.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

^Right? Exactly how those things start. You've got the instincts.

Not gonna hate but it definitely makes you appreciate the relative bargain that are Gordy's camps.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Don't see what the big deal is. Out of shape investment bankers will just continue to go heli skiing like they always have. Boasting to your buddy's about the 2000 ft of vertical you managed self powered in a day ain't going to get you bragging rights, no matter who you were skiing with. This might appeal to the dedicated back country skier who is older and can now afford this kind of coin, but if i am any indicator of that person, I would rather go for a couple of weeks to one of the many fine Back country lodges in BC. So not sure who extract this is gong to appeal to, although. I am sure that they will find someone to fill it up.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Don't see what the big deal is.
    I guess to me, and you allude to this in your post, is $3500 plus $499/night lodging at a five-star resort featired in the Lifestyle section of Forbes.

Full disclosure, I got a little weirded out about guided Ski-the-Grand trips too, so I'm that kind of dick.

If they are investment bankers, I wonder if there is any way the guides could repeatedly, "mistakenly" guide the groups over a cliff band or two? Maybe have them take a mountain dew EXTREME ride in an avalanche?

I jest (sort of).
    Last edited by Grape_Ape; 08-04-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Meh, 3500 + another 3500 for accommodations. That will get you 3 days of heli skiing. Still think the high rollers won't even look at it.... Neither would I as it would buy you 10 days of Cat skiing, or 3 weeks guided in a BC lodge. So, still don't know who it's going to appeal to.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Sounds hellish, but I suppose guiding might be better than selling them the gear or serving their drinks in the bar.
    If you serve them drinks in the bar, your days are still free to go ski with your friends
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

who is fronting me the costs?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    who is fronting me the costs?
    PM crass.

I'm planning a visit to JH for the 1st time this up coming season. Just for the hell of it, discuss counter-options to this deal. Keep it under 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    Just imagine being a guide for this: bunch of out of shape city-living bankers hell-bent on gnar terrain and endless pow, but mostly talking about their DPS, Dynafit beast, and full Arc Teryx kit. Hopefully the tips, hookers, and blow they bring with them will be worth the squeeze.

Calling GPS to the courtesy backcountry snowphone!
    ahh the guides are used to this sort of clientele. We get several of these banker- types that come out to JH every winter to 'visit' my firm but are really just boondoggling a ski vacation out of it. They always get guides and even though imo they would have way more fun inbounds for their level they all want to go in the OB. They also think they are going to be the shit. It's actually pretty fun to be a part of seeing them getting their asses handed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    I'm planning a visit to JH for the 1st time this up coming season. Just for the hell of it, discuss counter-options to this deal. Keep it under 2K.
    Stay at Motel 6, but lift tickets and maybe a guide one day to get early and explore the OB. That'll about add up to 2k

It's not as cheap as town, but I prefer staying in the village. If it's a powder day, the tram line starts forming fricken early.

Also interested in alternative options to this. I usually make it to JH once a year to ski with family at the resort but would like to get into the BC up there this season. Anyone have any input on what options are available in the area for guided touring other that whats offered by JH resort? Does anybody tour in/guide the wind river mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by UllrsParadise View Post
    Also interested in alternative options to this. I usually make it to JH once a year to ski with family at the resort but would like to get into the BC up there this season. Anyone have any input on what options are available in the area for guided touring other that whats offered by JH resort? Does anybody tour in/guide the wind river mountains?
    Here is a viable alternative for the same basic thing, without the swag and rubbing shoulders with some cool TGR athletes but this trip can be done on a much more affordable scale. Get 3 of your friends together and the four of you can do the JH Tram/Backcountry day for around $350 each, (that includes a lift pass, the guide and ABS pack w/beacon). You can find the info for this on the JH website.
    Then for the next 3 days, line up the Exum guide for the same group of 4 at $160 each per day, (http://exumguides.com/ublminxportfol...ountry-skiing/). That is $830, w/o your food. I know you can eat for less than $50 a day, even in Jackson, and you can find good lodging in town for around $125/night. Stay 4 nights and your grand total is a much more affordable, $1,530.
    Exum will also do one day outings and multi-day camps.

Oh, and one more thing. You can line the trip I just described in late Feb or Mar when you are likely to have much better snow!

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskier View Post
    Here is a viable alternative for the same basic thing, without the swag and rubbing shoulders with some cool TGR athletes but this trip can be done on a much more affordable scale. Get 3 of your friends together and the four of you can do the JH Tram/Backcountry day for around $350 each, (that includes a lift pass, the guide and ABS pack w/beacon). You can find the info for this on the JH website.
    Then for the next 3 days, line up the Exum guide for the same group of 4 at $160 each per day, (http://exumguides.com/ublminxportfol...ountry-skiing/). That is $830, w/o your food. I know you can eat for less than $50 a day, even in Jackson, and you can find good lodging in town for around $125/night. Stay 4 nights and your grand total is a much more affordable, $1,530.
    Exum will also do one day outings and multi-day camps.

Oh, and one more thing. You can line the trip I just described in late Feb or Mar when you are likely to have much better snow!
    Thanks. I knew about the stuff JH mountain does. I'll look into what Exum offers. Unfortunately this will probably be a solo venture since its usually a family trip and I'm just looking to get away for a day or two and do a little skiing while I'm there so won't be able to split the cost with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by robgoose View Post
    Not gonna hate but it definitely makes you appreciate the relative bargain that are Gordy's camps.
    Ssshhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    If you just want someone to show you around the backcountry or need a partner while in town, just post up in the JH conditions thread once the winter gets rolling. I have shown people around that have been here visiting and wanted to check out the pass/park or stuff right outside the resort.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    ahh the guides are used to this sort of clientele. We get several of these banker- types that come out to JH every winter to 'visit' my firm but are really just boondoggling a ski vacation out of it. They always get guides and even though imo they would have way more fun inbounds for their level they all want to go in the OB. They also think they are going to be the shit. It's actually pretty fun to be a part of seeing them getting their asses handed to them.
    Right, and this speaks to what my next point was going to be, revolving around the large increase in demand for more "experience-based adventure" evident in things like the meteoric rise in obstacle course racing. Sure, you can sit in a heated heli and ride to the top, but in the cutthroat competitive world of finance, that is already been-there-done-that. People need to come back to the office and not just say they got pampered and skiied 3K feet of intermediate rolling pow fields, people want to come back and talk about how they "suffered" and got extreme and lived life on the edge. Posting this article in Forbes directly correlates to what Forbes knows about their reader demographic the same way this article was NOT printed in Alpinist or Backcountry mags because they too know their reader demographic.

3500 and 499 a night isn't investment banker territory...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    If you just want someone to show you around the backcountry or need a partner while in town, just post up in the JH conditions thread once the winter gets rolling. I have shown people around that have been here visiting and wanted to check out the pass/park or stuff right outside the resort.
    Old School TGR hospitality at it's finest.