Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Wedge...

Big Wedge...

(Annoying "music", but fun to watch..).... Stand up paddle guy gets a few good ones...

^Some really good rides. I'm kind of amazed at how people don't mind getting the crap beat out of them for a two/three second ride. I body-surfed the Wedge a couple of times in HS, and did not make a good showing. Pretty much hated it.

Didn't watch the whole vid but the surfer at :52 threads the needle perfectly, damn.

you surfers are going to have to say whether that looks fun or not

to a non-surfer, that looks pretty scary

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    you surfers are going to have to say whether that looks fun or not

to a non-surfer, that looks pretty scary
    Having once been 20, I can see the appeal. I might paddle out to watch from the water and because it's an interesting hydrodynamic. I'm sure when the wedge looks like that there's some other place doing something I'd like a lot better.

The thing about the Wedge is that besides being a super-thick wave, it breaks in really shallow water. There's a shot around 2:20 in this video where you can sort of tell:

No thanks. It seems the only reasonable chance to ride out is to go straight and shoot out in front of it. Like Yetiman put it maybe when 20 years old. Way too close to shore for me.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^Some really good rides. I'm kind of amazed at how people don't mind getting the crap beat out of them for a two/three second ride. I body-surfed the Wedge a couple of times in HS, and did not make a good showing. Pretty much hated it.
    I totally agree and had the same shitty experience you described. Getting pounded for a 2 second ride blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You can see how much sand is in every wave. You can count me as one of the "too old for that ride" guys.

Still live close and still go out on more manageable days ( and crowds ) one gut slider in there starts on the left reform and is almost doing some weird floater thing inside the close out.

I always wanted to bodysurf that wave - back in the day I would drive down to Hatteras with my swim team coach and we'd enter Bodywhomping competitions there, dreaming of the Wedge and Hawaii (Pipeline especially.) Coach ended up getting a Law Degree from Columbia and moved out to Newport. A few years later I flew out to visit my Brother-in-Law in Santa Monica and drove down to the Wedge to meet up with him. Surf was about 5-6ft with the jacked up faces going roughly 12-15 feet. I totally chickened out. Caught 3 (smaller) waves and ate shit hard on all of them, almost separating a shoulder. Now I stick to nice slow peelers - rights if you please.

I agree with a lot of the too old for that shit sentiment in this thread. The wave itself is not scary, nor is the shallow bottom particularly. Sand is softer than stone. The crowd seems peppered all over, so that kind of sucks. But the sand in the face of the wave, and the beating I'd expect my board to take would keep me away. The sand blast effect keeps me out of a number of shore breaks. There is even one around here that can peel a nice long tube down the beach, but most days the wave is full of sand and will close out on top of you (no room to straighten out). It can be a super fun barrel session, but at the end, your exposed skin is raw, and there is sand in possible location.

Wedge is a fun show to watch. Always amazes me what that spot can do to a south swell. Wonder how this weekend will be looking.

^^^^ jajajajaaaaaa you obviously have never been there on a huge day...... or have you??? this you??http://youtu.be/xiaFxhqgpqg

^^^ I google there fore I'm the expert. Hey beater-you ever cook for Lish?

Cant wait to see your shit show out in the BC this winter!! Or will you be posting from Bishop again on powder days saying you're in info or some far flung destination? It must suck to not be able to afford a pass eh boy? Ja,Ja,Ja. What is it called when you desire to be somebody other than yourself? Imtheman?

I'm just here to say I enjoyed the ass wedge at 1:40 of the OP's vid.

wedge is goin off right now

Yeah it is

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	157773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	157774  

how's the knee pigs?

do you see kingfish out there schralphing?

Anyone boating to Ralphs? Or viewing? I imagine that place is picking up this swell pretty nicely.

I imagine it's doing well at the end of the point, seems pretty steep. Drove the coast north this morning and surf grew 1-2ft every mile or two and lot more consistent in far north county, imagine all of OC is going off.
    Last edited by Piggity; 08-27-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Surfline is saying 20-30 ft today...fun watching on the webcam, can even see drones flying around, hopefully they get some cool video that gets online.

I used to body surf the wedge regularly back in the day. Way too old for that shit now. If done right you don't get pounded on the sand. If done wrong, you are royally fucked.

I have been out on a few days like the vid, but not the massive days like they are currently having. Although, we were out once one a good, but not huge day when this massive set rolled in. We all swim like hell to get out, and I remember getting about half way up this massive face and realize I won't make it over the top so dive in about three quarters the way up. Even popping out the backside the wave was massive. I managed to safely make the next way, and had time to look around going over the third wave. I was looking down on the roof tops of the houses on the peninsula I was in position for the fourth wave and had delusions of grandeur about taking off, but chickened out. One one guy had the balls to catch a wave, and it was impressive to see him take the drop. This was in the days before body boards, so a lot of us used kick broad we stole from the HS swim teams. I estimated the faces at 25-30', and I don't think I was off that much. Then it was over and the waves were back to "normal" which for the Wedge is anything but.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Cool perspective.....

^^^that was super rad. Whitedildocockfish will no doubt google one of his "friends" who do it better.