Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Well super genius, despite the fact that there are NO DIRECT FLIGHTS FROM THE US to the hot zone countries of Liberia, Seirra Leone, or Guinea, what is it you are asking for? Have the US to use military to take over the airports in these countries to block air transport to and from these countries? Ban travel to all of Africa regardless of whether they are outbreak countries ? Bar entry to anyone with a passport from these countries? Ban all international travel?

FYI- the man who infected 2 health care workers in Dallas arrived on a flight from Belgium.

It must be from posting here- my kids tend to get it right the first time around.
    Calm down Francis.

Everyone knows there are no direct flights but by all means, keep screaming that. A travel ban would affect those with passports from affected countries and those with itineraries originating in those countries. African nations are already doing this, are you saying the US isn't capable of doing the same?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    A travel ban would affect those with passports from affected countries and those with itineraries originating in those countries. African nations are already doing this, are you saying the US isn't capable of doing the same?
    It sounds reasonable to me. Hell, Canada bars US citizens from entering the country for having a DUI on their record.

AFAIA the reasoning being given for having not done it isn't whether we're able to do so (and that now it is being considered anyway). Rather that it would disrupt aid getting to the area - that seems like it would be easy to get around by issuing some kind of aid worker visa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Remember when many thought that you could get AIDS from a toilet seat? People are pussies.
    Ebola from a toilet seat is a real possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ebola from a toilet seat is a real possibility.
    Is that what you told your wife? Zing!

A travel ban of some kind simply wouldn't work. See also: human trafficking, illegal immigration, etc etc. The problem would actually become harder to track.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Not sure if this has been posted, but a good article on why travel ban isn't going to fix much.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamar.../ebola-travel/

Excellent - thanks Shirk.

BBC world service (Or maybe it was BBC Radio4) has had a couple of fascinating recent segments on the economic impact in West Africa. In particular the world's two largest producers of cocoa - Ivory Coast and Ghana may not actually be able to harvest most of their crop this year since they depend on migrant workers. And that the cocoa commodities price was already being affected by the fewer than normal crop estimators from the west who were in region this year when compared to normal.

This morning they were discussing that the collapse of general agriculture in affected West African countries may lead to more deaths than the virus itself.

Economist has a good piece on the effectiveness of simple health care measures in Africa. Even if the headline is somewhat over the top...http://www.economist.com/news/intern...-and-could-yet
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 10-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Is that what you told your wife? Zing!
    Oh noes. What a zinger.

spook Guest
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/a-liber...africa/5408459

Liberian scientist claims u.s. DoD responsible for ebola outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It sounds reasonable to me. Hell, Canada bars US citizens from entering the country for having a DUI on their record.
    Only if they admit it and the Canadienne douanier is sufficiently bored to try to look it up.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/a-liber...africa/5408459

Liberian scientist claims u.s. DoD responsible for ebola outbreak
    More like a conspiracy theory website says a Liberian scientist is making such claims.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    . African nations are already doing this, are you saying the US isn't capable of doing the same?
    Despite the slow pitch for Dr. Strangelove quotes, may I point out the success rate for banning heroin, cocaine and unpasteurized cheeses?

At the root, even though that blustery bravado always wins the day, the point is that banning flights from regions of infection will only force those potentially infected to hide. That will make matters worse than trying to keep information regarding infection rates open.

I know, I know, sounds despicably liberal.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    More like a conspiracy theory website says a Liberian scientist is making such claims.
    conspiracy theory website? it's not close to -- what's that dude's name? prison planet screaming dork.

you know the guatemala thing actually happened, right?

spook Guest
    well, they are canadians. so there's that.

http://www.liberianobserver.com/secu...uticals-us-dod

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    AFAIA the reasoning being given for having not done it isn't whether we're able to do so (and that now it is being considered anyway). Rather that it would disrupt aid getting to the area - that seems like it would be easy to get around by issuing some kind of aid worker visa.
    Exactly why the fed's reasoning is so confusing. Per the interview in that WSJ article above the question was asked why can't aid get to Africa on charters and military flights?

Not really arguing the effectiveness of a travel ban, just dumbfounded at the reasons given for why the feds won't put on in effect.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Despite the slow pitch for Dr. Strangelove quotes, may I point out the success rate for banning heroin, cocaine and unpasteurized cheeses?
    But, but, think of the cheese mites!

Well, reality has a well-known liberal bias.
    No longer stuck.

So for my 30.000th post I'm going to post this gem from a friend of mine. Yes he works for Fox News, and yes he wears too much make-up (acne scars?) That said Thank You Shepard Smith for saying what needed saying:

There is no ebola outbreak in the US. There currently is no danger - zero - to you, your family, or the US public at large from Ebola. None. The 2 nurses that contracted the disease did so on their job - caring for someone who lied to leave West Africa, entered the country and was (nearly) immediately put into a hospital and under quarantine.

The first nurse, Ms. Pham, looks like she is doing very well and when she survives will only add to the antigen stock on hand here in the USA. She was treated with plasma from the doctor who was treated at Emory U. - who also survived. The second nurse is receiving the same treatment and preliminary prognosis is very good. Both are now in the best facilities we, the richest country on the planet, have to contain biological agents and other than possibly other HC workers actively treating them there will be no transmission, certainly not to the general public.

The fucking scared little children who are calling for a travel ban to the US need to understand that ONE case of Ebola has made it into our country, which has infected 2 people. That's out of 150 people PER DAY who have come here from West Africa DAILY over the last 5 months. That's conservatively 22.5k people, so an infection rate of 1/22,500 or .000044%. Are you honestly going to bar thouseands of people from legal entry because ONE person was sick?

Here's a graph of how many people have had Bubonic Plague in the US since 1970:

Are you going to star wearing garlic garlands? Putting out smoke pots? "Bring out your dead?" Of course not.

Well I'm down for eating garlic, smoking some pot and watching Monty Python.

I mostly agree, I think it's important to make plans for likely possibilities though. And having these few infections in the states has probably made the people who matter think about the safeguards more. I expect further action to be taken if there are additional cases from people traveling into the country. Until then I feel pretty comfortable.

This is all distracting from occasional updates about that Bundy guy with the cows.
    No longer stuck.

Well, reality has a well-known liberal bias.
    That darn Main Stream Reality.

I think you mean "lame stream fact-based paradigm"
    No longer stuck.

conspiracy theory website? it's not close to -- what's that dude's name? prison planet screaming dork.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. That website checks all the boxes for conspiracy theory nuttiness though.

you know the guatemala thing actually happened, right?
    No, I don't know. Just read about it for the first time today thanks to your link. My policy is to believe 0% of what I read on the internet the first time around unless it's from a trustworthy source that I'm familiar with. Not saying it isn't true, saying I don't have a fucking clue but am inclined to disbelieve due to the delivery vehicle. People can say whatever they want on the internet, which means 95% of this shit is just that. If I cared enough, I'd research it and find corroborating evidence (if it exists), but I'm mildly drunk and high and don't give a shit right now.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. That website checks all the boxes for conspiracy theory nuttiness though.

No, I don't know. Just read about it for the first time today thanks to your link. My policy is to believe 0% of what I read on the internet the first time around unless it's from a trustworthy source that I'm familiar with. Not saying it isn't true, saying I don't have a fucking clue but am inclined to disbelieve due to the delivery vehicle. People can say whatever they want on the internet, which means 95% of this shit is just that. If I cared enough, I'd research it and find corroborating evidence (if it exists), but I'm mildly drunk and high and don't give a shit right now.
    so what you're saying is you don't know anything about something that has been common knowledge for a long time and so therefore the site must full of conspiracy theory. that's exquisitely ignorant. most of the people who publish on that site are Canadian academics if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The 2 nurses that contracted the disease did so on their job - caring for someone who lied to leave West Africa, entered the country and was (nearly) immediately put into a hospital and under quarantine.
    But this is the thing that worries people. Despite all precautions this person still managed to transmit the disease to two others. Not exactly a great track record in combating ebola on U.S. soil. These two nurses surviving and not infecting anyone else will go a long way in assuaging most peoples' fears, I think. Hopefully that happens.