Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    it's got a hold in lagos, nigeria now. the largest city in africa.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-nigeria-dies
    How long before some wack job gets a hold of Ebola and intentionally spreads it?

Man, God hates Africa...

it's got a hold in lagos, nigeria now. the largest city in africa.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-nigeria-dies
    I hardly call a few aid/healthcare workers returning from Liberia as Ebola having a hold on Lagos, Nigeria. With 900+ deaths in one of the most populated and unsanitary places on earth, Ebola is hardly spreading like wildfire.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    And you live in a far left communist shit hole filled with people so out of touch with reality that they think the railroad is going to stop to listen to freedom hating trespassers. Go back to introducing non - native invasive species like the MacKenzie Valley Grey wolf and leave economics to those of us who aren't high.
    Are you sure you're not in your 70s? You sound like someone who would have trouble changing the channel on the microwave while bitching about the youth of today and how much better it was back in the 50's.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

And places like America just don't have the conditions to spread a disease like ebola, or even really the 1918 flu/avian flu thing. Calm the fuck down, everyone. Yes, I know we spread flu every year, but it never hits with a severity even near that of 1918, because our living standards and medical science are so much more advanced than they were in 1918.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I hardly call a few aid/healthcare workers returning from Liberia as Ebola having a hold on Lagos, Nigeria. With 900+ deaths in one of the most populated and unsanitary places on earth, Ebola is hardly spreading like wildfire.
    it was not health care workers returning from Liberia. It was Nigerian health care workers that cared for him after his arrival.

and it wasn't the only ones he came in contact with
    But on Tuesday the state health commissioner, Jide Idris, said Ebola was diagnosed only after Sawyer had been taken to hospital and had direct or indirect contact with at least 70 others. They include airline passengers, airport officials and health workers, and have all been placed under precautionary surveillance. Seven have been quarantined.
    This is all from one passenger who exhibited his symptoms while in the airport. How many have passed through the airport before exhibiting symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuck
    And places like America just don't have the conditions to spread a disease like ebola, or even really the 1918 flu/avian flu thing. Calm the fuck down, everyone. Yes, I know we spread flu every year, but it never hits with a severity even near that of 1918, because our living standards and medical science are so much more advanced than they were in 1918.
    Do you have kids? Last time you visited a day care? Go to the gym?
    I'm not saying it's time to panic but there are numerous pathways for the virus to spread and would have a huge impact on our everyday life it comes here and spreads.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'm not saying it's time to panic
    It sure sounds like you're hyperventilating in readiness though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

to skared to hyperventilate. that would suck in all teh dropletz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53354747.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	157247

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

They are caring for patients in tents in Africa. Dirt floors. Little to no plumbing. Hard to contain and isolate bodily fluids.

Sales of Ricola are going off though. What a stroke of luck for them!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    They are caring for patients in tents in Africa. Dirt floors. Little to no plumbing. Hard to contain and isolate bodily fluids.

Sales of Ricola are going off though. What a stroke of luck for them!
    Cough drops that taste like Hitler's well worn lederhosen prevent Ebola? Who knew.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Cough drops that taste like Hitler's well worn lederhosen prevent Ebola? Who knew.
    Sounds like there's a story there. How do you know what te inside of men's leather tastes like?
    I still call it The Jake.

The reason who don't have flu with the mortality of the 1918 flu is a) we haven't had a flu strain as virulent as the 1918, and b) vaccination.
    The 1918 flu did have an unusual propensity to infect young people (aided by the concentration of young men in the armies of WWI) and an unusual ability to cause a severe pneumonitis. The flu virus is constantly mutating and it requires constant surveillance to identify emerging strains and produce vaccine. We do have treatments that weren't available in 1918--antiviral drugs that may be of some use but are by no means as effective as antibiotics are against bacterial infection (for the moment), and mechanical ventilators, of which there are not nearly enough to treat an epidemic. Influenza--a disease we know a lot about and have known a lot about for a long time--still requires the constant concerted efforts of governmental and non governmental agencies and private vaccine makers to keep in check. Given the modern business climate, where vaccine making is becoming increasingly unpopular with drug companies, and the general political climate that makes cooperation across borders increasingly insecure, and it's not hard to see how a 1918 like epidemic could take place. Imagine a scenario where a Tea Party controlled Presidency and Congress decide to eliminate the CDC.

A catastrophic epidemic of any disease, like a catastrophic asteroid hit, is extremely unlikely to occur in the lifetime of any of us, but given enough time it becomes increasingly likely. The main conditions for epidemics will always exist--enough potential victims in close proximity to each other and the ability of microorganisms to mutate faster than we can come up with treatments and prevention for them. My point here is not that we should panic, but that are existence is highly dependent on the efforts and constant vigilance of the disease-control community, of which we are largely unaware in our daily lives.

Wait, what's up with Ricola? The google knows nothing of this.

it was not health care workers returning from Liberia. It was Nigerian health care workers that cared for him after his arrival.

and it wasn't the only ones he came in contact with

This is all from one passenger who exhibited his symptoms while in the airport. How many have passed through the airport before exhibiting symptoms?

Do you have kids? Last time you visited a day care? Go to the gym?
    I'm not saying it's time to panic but there are numerous pathways for the virus to spread and would have a huge impact on our everyday life it comes here and spreads.
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The reason who don't have flu with the mortality of the 1918 flu is a) we haven't had a flu strain as virulent as the 1918, and b) vaccination.
    The 1918 flu did have an unusual propensity to infect young people (aided by the concentration of young men in the armies of WWI) and an unusual ability to cause a severe pneumonitis. The flu virus is constantly mutating and it requires constant surveillance to identify emerging strains and produce vaccine. We do have treatments that weren't available in 1918--antiviral drugs that may be of some use but are by no means as effective as antibiotics are against bacterial infection (for the moment), and mechanical ventilators, of which there are not nearly enough to treat an epidemic. Influenza--a disease we know a lot about and have known a lot about for a long time--still requires the constant concerted efforts of governmental and non governmental agencies and private vaccine makers to keep in check. Given the modern business climate, where vaccine making is becoming increasingly unpopular with drug companies, and the general political climate that makes cooperation across borders increasingly insecure, and it's not hard to see how a 1918 like epidemic could take place. Imagine a scenario where a Tea Party controlled Presidency and Congress decide to eliminate the CDC.

A catastrophic epidemic of any disease, like a catastrophic asteroid hit, is extremely unlikely to occur in the lifetime of any of us, but given enough time it becomes increasingly likely. The main conditions for epidemics will always exist--enough potential victims in close proximity to each other and the ability of microorganisms to mutate faster than we can come up with treatments and prevention for them. My point here is not that we should panic, but that are existence is highly dependent on the efforts and constant vigilance of the disease-control community, of which we are largely unaware in our daily lives.
    In 1918 a lot of America still didn't have running water, let alone all the medical and other advances.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wait, what's up with Ricola? The google knows nothing of this.
    http://m.imgur.com/jTG3sCx

Sent from my SCH-R970 using TGR Forums

Easy. There haven't been 900 deaths from Ebola in Lagos.

This will run its course. More Palestinians have died in the past month than anyone has from Ebola this year.

@ uglymoney: Thanks. I saw that but I figured it must be something else, like some myth it prevents teh ebolaz or something

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    This will run its course. More Palestinians have died in the past month than anyone has from Ebola this year.
    without a doubt it will run it's course. and i think you need an additional qualifier in regards to the palestinians.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Easy. There haven't been 900 deaths from Ebola in Lagos.

I was talking about 900+ deaths in Africa, not a few cases in Lagos.

I was talking about 900+ deaths in Africa, not a few cases in Lagos.
    Sorry - misread your post. You and I agree.

Is this a tragedy? Yes. Do the good folks who frequent this board need to fret about their safety? Absolutely not.

So, powdork, what exactly would "heading for the hills" look like for you? You already live in the hills.

Ha. Good point. I live in Montana
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    So, powdork, what exactly would "heading for the hills" look like for you? You already live in the hills.
    If it came to it, and things would have to get exponentially worse, it would look something like this
    sprinter van, solar power, somewhere near a small town where we're in the hills but can easily drive to cell coverage. city of rocks comes to mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city-of-rocks-163.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	157264  

If it came to it, and things would have to get exponentially worse, it would look something like this
    sprinter van, solar power, somewhere near a small town where we're in the hills but can easily drive to cell coverage. city of rocks comes to mind
    I would think something like Austin or Eureka Nevada would be a no brainer for someone in your position.

no way mang. if i'm gonna do it it's gonna be fun. lots of dirt roads head up into the hills from 395 where we can take the van too. i just need you guys to help me scare hutchski into it.