Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Okay so, here's the plan. Leave them alone until after they migrate for the winter. Seal off all the edges of the shutters and put a couple of bat houses up and see if they use them when they return. In the meantime, I just sprayed out the bottom of the shutters and put about (estimated) five pounds of bat guano into the flower beds. KQ, where they're situated, I can't get a pan underneath them to collect their shit so sprayed out, it is. I like not having the bugs but our porch was getting particularly gross. My wife wasn't happy with it so, clean it up I did. She, incidentally, found a dead bat on the porch this morning. That makes four we've had this year. Not sure what the implication of that is but, if we find another, I think I'll call county health.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Okay so, here's the plan. Leave them alone until after they migrate for the winter. Seal off all the edges of the shutters and put a couple of bat houses up and see if they use them when they return. In the meantime, I just sprayed out the bottom of the shutters and put about (estimated) five pounds of bat guano into the flower beds. KQ, where they're situated, I can't get a pan underneath them to collect their shit so sprayed out, it is. I like not having the bugs but our porch was getting particularly gross. My wife wasn't happy with it so, clean it up I did. She, incidentally, found a dead bat on the porch this morning. That makes four we've had this year. Not sure what the implication of that is but, if we find another, I think I'll call county health.
    Yeah, I kinda figured it was probably messier than my barn swallow situation where they poop over the side of the nest in one neat location. Kinda wish I had some bats in my barn - flies are currently out of control.

Have you seen this site? Lots of great information:

Bats - Living with Wildlife.

I've dropped an 10,000 btu AC on a bat one time.

Ball till ya fall
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Bats are fucking cool….leave alone..
    Yes yes

Upset them and they may not return. Build alternative home (they may or may not use). Let them have the shutter they are on, deny access to the others. Use their poop on the flowers and veg.
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Boil some hot peppers and put the water in a spray bottle. Homemade pepper spray. This worked for my parents several years ago.
    Well, I guess the retarded apple doesn't fall far from the retarded tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Well, I guess the retarded apple doesn't fall far from the retarded tree.
    Mother.Fucker.

Dude is back! Or someone has finally managed to hack your account with the password "dimmuborgirdigsblack"?

Never the less, I dig bats. We have few around our house. It is weird how they get around in the end of june and start to do their
    nightflights. You can be outside, chilling out having a cigarette and pfffooof, around your ear they go. Almost touching your ear and buzzing
    off. Always wondered where the hell they sleep around here in the winter though, regulary having -30c temps in the winter and we dont have any obvious heat sources around...like manure pits or anything.

Cool critters.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Have you seen this site? Lots of great information:

Bats - Living with Wildlife.
    Wow, great site. I just learned a shitload about bats reading that.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Wow, great site. I just learned a shitload about bats reading that.
    What I learned:

-Female bats store sperm
    -My wife is a bat

Chiming in with the pro bat crowd, I get a show every night in my backyard, no idea where they nest but I know it isn't my attic.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Yes yes

Upset them and they may not return. Build alternative home (they may or may not use). Let them have the shutter they are on, deny access to the others. Use their poop on the flowers and veg.
    I'd rather exclude them from the shutter they've taken and let them have some of the others. Some are using other shutters and that hasn't been much of a problem, other than they wrecked a small area of siding near one shutter but that can be fixed. As it is, they chose the absolutely worst one they could to make a mess of.

Fun things to do with bats.

After a day of class V river running then drinking as much as possible after wards, we would stand about 10 feet apart on the side of the street between the river and the bat building at dusk. This is best done with 5 or 6 people. As the bats dropped out of the second story eaves of the abandon house they would fly directly at us. You have to stand your ground and most of the time they will avoid you in midflight. Occasionally they would crash into you or a car parked nearby. They would always shake it off and fly away.

Couple of times they would fly between some ones legs, when that happens everyone chugs.
    watch out for snakes

I remember when I was a kid we used to take those glow sticks you can make into a circle and throw them up as high as possible and the bats would fly through the rings. I must have done that shit for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What I learned:

-Female bats store sperm
    -My wife is a bat
    Okay... I'll bite. How is your wife a bat?

What I learned:

-Female bats store sperm
    -My wife is a bat
    Lot's of bitches store sperm- they even have an organ devoted to the task, the spermathecae..something like that. Even female flies pull this shit!

Don't blast a load of hot bubbling jizz in to them and don't fucking sign anything!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Okay... I'll bite. How is your wife a bat?
    Oh, c'mon.....Seriously??

What I learned:

-Female bats store sperm
    -My wife is a bat

BWAHAHAHAHAA!! Glad I wasn't having coffee when I read this... BIG LOL!
    Gravity. It's the law.

got a good bat house design?

Look online, I bought a kit and it was super simple to assemble. The opening has to be a certain size.
    I got mine from a bat conservation group but as posted b4 they never found or used it.

Bats are good to have around.

Good luck!
    watch out for snakes

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm interested to hear if GoldMember was able to solve his bat problems or if he really is batman....

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I had a bat house up for many years but they never took to it. I read where you can wipe/smear the guano on the entrance/bottom of the bat house and they will be attracted to it and use the house.

Bats are kewl x 10000.
    x2- they like what they like and they never liked our bat houses even when we put them in the recommended aspects & places. How about guano shelves under the shutters to contain the mess?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    I'm interested to hear if GoldMember was able to solve his bat problems or if he really is batman....
    Resolved. Closed off the shutters where they were the biggest problem at the front of the house. I left some shutters available to them off the side of my garage where their shit wasn't too big of an issue. There are bats living there, still and I just hose off the area where their crap falls. Not a lot of insects live around my house so, that's a net gain without being too much of a nuisance, at least not like they were. We also haven't had any dead ones laying around for the past two or three years. That part was kind of creepy for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Boil some hot peppers and put the water in a spray bottle. Homemade pepper spray. This worked for my parents several years ago.
    Weird, I must moved my mom in to a nursing home when she got too difficult. Should have tried home made pepper spray, much cheaper!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!